>> Another Note 4 vs Note 5 thread

ohmygawdyes

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,
Thanks in advanced for your comments and opinions.

Long time lurker. 1st time poster.
Quick info about me:
Power user - or what ever you would call the step just below power user (no rom flashing, custom launchers etc) I get the most out of my android devices through research (from places like AC) and customization of stock settings. I am the go to guy in my household for help and fixes for most all phone and electronics. So am I an average user then? I dunno.

So here is my issue.

I am ready to upgrade finally. But I am torn between the Note 4 and Note 5. I have been watching the note series since the n2. But since I normally wait a few months until the bugs are worked out before jumping in on new tech, I have missed the "note boat" so to speak. Buy the time I got comfortable and got ready to pull the trigger, a new note would be on the horizon, literally. And since I like to get the most bang for my buck, I always wait. Yes, I know that the current life cycle for these devices is short now (less that 2 years) and that is why I almost got the note 4.

Here are my variables:
Been on VZW in So Cal for a decade. Not looking to change.
ALWAYS have a case on my device. No matter what to protect my investment.
Current device: GS3 32GB + 32GB SD + MPJ 3200 mAh extended battery + UAG Navigator. I put on the case out of the box. So I don't really know (or care) what the device feels like naked.
I deleted a bunch of apps and media and put in the SD card the same day I got the first storage space warning. So storage its kind of a thing for me.
I felt like all of sudden I was only getting 4-5 hours stand by time on stock battery (after 1.5 years) so the battery upgrade was a no brainer. Now I get 8+ hours use and I am always near an outlet (even on the Metrolink).
I would love to get rid of the legal pad I use at work and the scraps of paper I stuff in my pocket on the commute, So a Note seems like the ideal daily driver device for me.
I have 85% of my music collection on my phone and listen to almost all of it weekly via bluetooth head phones and AUX cable in the car. But just to be clear, I'm not a audiophile so I don't need Bose quality audio coming from my celly.
Above average to heavy social media abuser, so a decent camera and the horse power to edit video 720p clips is necessary.

I know there are other (cheaper) options out there but, at this very moment, I am stuck on having a pen in the device. And that is why I'm looking for other info to see if there is something out there that I am missing that might sway me.

My issues with the Note 5:
Price- but I get it. Its a premium flag ship. I will take the payment option and stick with my chosen device till the end. (Still rocking my s3)
Battery- Not so much the battery life. But it its the fact that its sealed in. I don't need to swap it out on the fly but I feel like it will loose it charging ability in less than two years and I will have to take it to some sketchy repair shop to have the battery replaced and pay $150+ to have insurance voided for what ever reason.
Storage- I guess I can deal (64GB). I will just have to do a better job managing the stuff I have on my phone. I will not be forced to burn up my data using anyone's cloud storage. And I'm hoping someone will develop a decent extended battery case that has some included storage options like the mophie and I think I am going to pick up the Mosaic battery kit thingy when it comes out.
Glass- Not worried. It will have a case on it before I power the thing on.
Pengate- Design flaw? I can't believe this is even a thing. (Some) people are just dumb. I get it that engineers probably should have considered the pen insertion direction. But who would do that? Why are you giving the baby a flagship phone to play with? I mean are they the same people that got mad at Colgate because at one time the tube of tooth paste did not mention the fact that you should not put the paste in your eyes!? Come on.
IR Blaster: Meh. I still have all the remotes for my stuff. And I don't mind getting up and actually touching the stuff to control it.

My issues with the Note 4:
Out of the box. None really. It has all the features I'm looking forward to having. And I have my eye on a 128GB SD, IF I go this route.
I am really worried about the issues I'm seeing with the 5.1.1 update. I am reading that this update has ruined the Note 4 for many people. Although the powers that be will hopefully fix the issues, I fear that VZW, often the slowest with updates, will not fix it as they want users to jump on the GS6+ / Note 5 band wagon. I don't want to spend my hard earned cash and end up with a limp noodle of a phone because of a software update. My general opinion is to just get the Note 4 and wait it out for the next iteration of the series. Maybe Samsung will got back to listening to its users instead of trying to sway apples users. Or maybe the drop in sales will sting enough to make them put back the stuff that we are accustomed to having in an Android device default.

OK. So there it is. My soliloquy for the day.
Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I guess a good question is, how much of your decision is dependent on the stylus? Is it a must have?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like if you get the note4 your going to be wondering what your missing on the 5.

I think the note5 would be a better choice, just based on the information youve given. The spen has improved and so has the processor, touchwiz is good on the note5.

The note4 is a great device and def last years best smartphone in my opinion, but its just that, last years.

Whichever you pick you will be getting a great phone, but i have had both and as much as i love the 4, the 5 is a bump up in software experience.

Just my opinion. Oh and i am on verizon also, and have no complaints about them. So my note experiences are based on verizon versions and network.

Posted via the Android Central App

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
First, Congratulations on your first post!

I am changing from Verizon (20+ years) to AT&T so I have to change phones. For history, my past 4 years have been comprised of 2 years with a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, followed by 1 year with their newer Droid Maxx and then a switch last October to the Galaxy Note 4. I very much like the Note 4 but I feel Lollipop made the phone's performance go downhill. I went to an AT&T Store last week and played with the Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge+ and the smaller S6 Active. I truly liked the Note 5 - much faster and smoother than the Note 4 to my feel anyway. As I came from the Motorola world, not having access to the battery means nothing to me. If the battery lasts a long time, who cares? What I am left with for choices now are stay Note and go with the 5 or try that S6 Active. What a powerhouse and better battery than anything Samsung makes. I have another ten days before I switch as I am waiting for my wife's Verizon contract to expire so I still have some thinking to do - Hell, I could get a new Note 4 from AT&T and it comes with KitKat. Run KitKat until Lollipop 5.1.1 finally comes to AT&T and Verizon. Sorry if I haven't been any help - I'll close with "I like the Note 5!" :cool:

hkj324

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I LOVE my Note 4 and will NOT be buying the Note 5 b/c of the sealed battery AND no SD card slot. It is FAST, I can use it all day and actually DO stuff and the battery is still 70%++ full. The pix qualtiy is wonderful! Did I say it is FAST? LOL I don't get why they seal these devices and not make use of SD card and cannot come down in price, either!? What's that all about? i'm really happy with the Note 4 and like you, I just gave up my Galaxy Relay with the slide keyboard after 3 yrs b/c it was getting slow & 'buggy'.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
If you're that concerned about the battery then it sounds like your choice is made.

I'm coming from the Note 2, after 3 years it's just now having battery issues. It charges slowly and discharges quickly.

I wanted the Note 4 but it wasn't rooted and I didn't want to buy the developer edition.

The Note 5 on Verizon won't get root either but I decided to buy it anyway.
So far I don't regret it, even though the ads are on my nerves.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Both phones are great, but both phones have tradeoffs and you need to decide what you can and can't live with or without.

The improvements vs the removal of the removable battery and SD card and ir blaster....

The battery should last the life of the phone but no guarantees it will, and Samsung will charge some for replacement of it.

The SD card issue has a workaround and that is a micro SD card reader that plugs into the micro usb port. It works but is not elegant.

This new note flys and has all the latest goodies inside including the camera updates. The speaker is louder and clearer and for headphones you have some additional goodness to utilize. It has the latest version of the os and is extremely smooth and fluid not to mention again it is blazing fast. Downloading speeds are phenomenal.

If you are stuck on the battery issue get the 4, but I know you will be doubting yourself everytime you see one.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note Edge which is basically a Note 4 on steroids. Not a fan of sealed batteries nor non removable sd cards. That's just me. Case in point. I got my Edge day 1 from Sprint LAST YEAR. I have not repeat, HAVE NOT had a single issue with this phone.

I use to be able to charge my phone up 30 mins before I left for work, full charge and out the door. 10 hours later and after moderate use and no charger, I would get home with about 40% battery. I would leave the phone off the charger till it was time to go to work the next day. So normally I would have 30-38% left on a battery that hasn't been charged in 24 hours.

That was then. Now? I'm getting home and having to put the phone on the charger IMMEDIATELY because I'm getting home with about 8-14% I can literally be at 20% when I leave work and run the risk of the battery going dead in my 30 min drive home if I use the phone. It's gotten that bad. That tells me that the battery is going bad (which is normal for batteries.) Since I tend to keep my phones for a long time, I will be buying a brand new battery to replace this one and the phone will be right back to where it was a year ago. The question you need to ask yourself is, what do you do when the battery in your Note 5 starts going bad? Plus you can get brand new Note 4's out the box dirt cheap and it's next to impossible to insert the S pen in the wrong way.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

ohmygawdyes

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

Although I am still a bit pensive with all the "what if"s I have about the Note 4, I have decided to get the Note 5.

Reason being is this: I have been picking my devices over the last few years based on wanting my chosen device to give me the same user experience PLUS all the new features. But you can't have it all. NO device will give you ALL the thing you want. But I realize that, as with anything, I will get used to it, what ever it is. I got used to android after having all the BREW based devices. I started with no extra storage and the planet kept spinning. As it did the last time my phone died and and I wasn't able to stand tethered to a wall socket. Damn it man, I wasn't able to take that last group selfie with the homies at the bar. I actually had to stand there and EXPERIENCE moment. OMG. I may lose some social media acquaintances because I ran out of battery and could not post about the movies I watch while riding the metrolink to work. You believe that? Crazy I know.

Point is I think this time around I will just jump on the bleeding edge tech that is the most attractive to me, and deal with what ever issues crop up. Seems there wont be too many based on what I have read here and else where on the interwebs. The rest, I will figure it out. Just like I did the last time. And the time before that. If it turns out that I cant handle it? There is always the 14 day return policy, eBay, Craigslist etc. for me to sell it and find something else. It will be OK (I have to keep telling my self that :) ).

So after I finish typing this, I'm going to find a good deal on a UAG case for my (soon to be) New 64GB White Note 5.
And also I need to figure out how to take advantage of this $200 gift card deal they have at BestBuy before its over.

JBhanes14

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm relatively new on here, and this is my first post as well. However, I sell phones for a living so I'm pretty knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to them.

That being said, I didn't enjoy my note 4. I don't like TouchWiz at all, so I always opt for using different launchers. I also keep numerous applications open (all the time) whether it's Square for my business or all my social media necessities. The Note 4 lagged quite a bit just having around 6-8 applications open at the same time. I know it's very simple to close the apps, but in purchasing the note 4 I wasn't expecting to do so. I even tried to make it through the day simply using touchwiz, but to no avail.

In contrast to the majority of my post, the battery life on the note 4 was absolutely amazing. I had all the Netflix/Hulu enjoyment I could handle on a single charge...let alone normal daily usage.

I have now had the note 5 for over two weeks and I'm loving it more than any phone I've previously had. The speed, the design, the camera...Samsung has made me a fan boy once again.

Posted via the Android Central App

ohmygawdyes

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
WhatTheFlimflam!!!!?
Just tried to pull the trigger on the white Note 5 64GB and vzw says the it does not exist?
Fate is either mocking me or knows something I don't...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
WhatTheFlimflam!!!!?
Just tried to pull the trigger on the white Note 5 64GB and vzw says the it does not exist?

Verizon isn't carrying the White 64 gb as of now and won't tell anyone if or when they will carry it.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
But don't give up!

WhatTheFlimflam!!!!?

I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted tell you not to give up as this is the best phone I've ever owned! So don't let fate OWN you.
I'm a borderline power user and I have the white 32g (I realize others want more thus black's the only option ATM), but it's enough for me.
And there are times when I do go caseless and I don't want the fingerprints therefore white was the only option for me. I owned both the
Note 4 and the Note Edge and this phone blows the socks off of both! It's all the little things they did that really add up making the Note 5 a true beast
of a phone. Currently IT IS THE BEST phone available. Instead a comprehensive review I'll simply lay out my observations by the number.

Note 5's Edge
01 Battery life is better than the Note and Note Edge
02 You can take notes on the screen without unlocking the phone
03 Much faster and responsive
04 ZERO Lag!
05 Recent menu is much QUICKER!
06 Recent Menu Survives a restart
07 Better SPen Interface
08 SPen clicks in and out
09 Themes
10 Feels better in hand because it's narrower and curved on the edges
11 Best screen in the business (+ Displaymate said this is the best ever mobile display, it's even more power efficient by 21% than the Note 4)
12 Brightest phone screen (Easier to see the display in direct sunlight for sure)
13 Quick Charge
14 Wireless charging right out of the box
15 Wireless QUICK CHARGE as well
16 Much better fingerprint scanner as well
17 Camera app loads fast & Pro Mode with all kinds of advanced controls
18 Double click the home button to open camera app QUICKLY
19 Split Screen implementation is better on Note 5
20 Pen palette symbol on the side of display (so you don't have to click the tiny little button on the pen to bring up tool palette)
21 Higher screen density (So more info on the screen)
22 Lollipop much better Note (As you now it was a train wreck for most with Note 4/Edge users)
23 Slimmer bezel
24 Better front facing camera
25 Better speaker placement (bottom)
26 Better speaker (1.2 amps)
27 Can change the screen grid to display more rows
28 Uses optical image stabilization when recording 4k video (Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Note 4 does not use the optical image stabilization while recording in 4k video)

I'm sure I've missed some things as I'm still working lots of hours thus I haven't had as much time as I'd like to play with this beautiful machine.
I still haven't going to any tricks & tips threads or videos so I'm sure I'm in for a treat when I do!

Note 4's Edge
01 No replaceable battery (Non issue for me as I'll probably be on to my next phone before it get's to bad)
02 No SD card card support (I never really needed all the space in the first place)
03 No IR blaster (This I miss a little, but it's no deal breaker)
04 Less expensive
05 More durable (Insurance Please)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon