Why have my SMS synced to email, how do I stop it?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: SMS synced to email

I don't believe that it a default feature. My sms appeared in my inbox because I restored my messages with sms backup+.
I logged into the Gmail website and removed the label. No more sms in my inbox.

mdmask

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

I recently purchased my Note 5 and love it, but I simply added an exchange account and an account from my local email server (POP3). I get SMS alerts in the exchange server for some reason, as well as the MESSAGE app....I've looked at every setting in the exchange email account and the MESSAGE app, but can find no way to disable SMS to this email account inbox.
Any ideas? :confused:

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Go to settings, accounts, select exchange, and unchecked sms sync.

Edit: see post(s) below, have to do this from within the Email app.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mdmask

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

Go to settings, accounts, select exchange, and unchecked sms sync.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I feel a bit silly, but I'm not finding this feature on my exchange account- see the pic below:

2015-09-10 12.14.20.jpg

Am I looking in the wrong spot, perhaps?

Thanks for your help!

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Am I looking in the wrong spot, perhaps?

Thanks for your help!

You went too far. There are two places you can set this. EDIT: You have to set this from the email app settings, I believe:

From the screen in your screenshot, hit the back button and look for:

Sync Contacts (on/off)
Sync Calendar (on/off)
Sync Task (on/off)
Sync Messages (on/off) <- this should be off

Or, go back to my earlier post - I'll clarify:

Home -> Appe button (lower right) -> Settings (the gear icon) -> Accounts (orange icons) -> Microsoft Exchange Activesync and see if "Sync Messages" is an option there and turned on. If so, try turning it off. I shoul note that messages isn't an option there for me because it's already off in the screen above. Between those two places you should be able to turn it off.

Edit: it appears the "messages" option isn't present in the main account settings panel, so you have to do this from within the Email app.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

mdmask

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

Excellent- that made the difference; I understand now. And my SMS messages are not cluttering my inbox any longer!

Thanks so much!

Chuck J

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

You went too far. There are two places you can set this.

From the screen in your screenshot, hit the back button and look for:

Sync Contacts (on/off)
Sync Calendar (on/off)
Sync Task (on/off)
Sync Messages (on/off) <- this should be off

Or, go back to my earlier post - I'll clarify:

Home -> Appe button (lower right) -> Settings (the gear icon) -> Accounts (orange icons) -> Microsoft Exchange Activesync and see if "Sync Messages" is an option there and turned on. If so, try turning it off. I shoul note that messages isn't an option there for me because it's already off in the screen above. Between those two places you should be able to turn it off. Hope that helps!

I've got all except messages sync, it's got email instead, but won't that stop my emails syncing altogether?

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

If you're on the second screen I mentioned (from home -> apps -> settings -> accounts ->exchange activesync) then yes you need to leave "Email" on. Go to the first screen the earlier poster was in, which is from the Email app itself, more -> settings -> exchange account (then scroll down), and I have Contacts, Calendar, Task, Messages. Messages should be turned off.

I guess the "messages" option is only available from within the Email app settings; I thought it used to be available from the general "Accounts" control panel as well, but maybe it never was or perhaps they changed it. So access this menu from within the email app and you should be able to turn SMS sync off.

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Help!! Please tell me how to turn off the SMS sync from my Android.

I've tried several recommended solutions found on different sites and I don't have the "SMS sync" toggle in my account settings.