Weird problem with spotify + power button

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I noticed that when I'm listening to music with spotify and I'm on the screen with my playlist and then press the power button to turn off the screen, the song will change. And this doesn't happen every single time. Would this be a problem with my phone and the screen acting as if I pressed it or would it be the app having the issue? It's the weirdest thing, anyone have any insight?

pst23

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I tried this with spotify and my music doesn't go to the next track when I turn the screen off. Not sure what the problem could be.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried this with spotify and my music doesn't go to the next track when I turn the screen off. Not sure what the problem could be.

It doesn't happen every time. I can do it a million times in a row and it won't do it, it just happens randomly. It's very annoying and worries me that something could be wrong with my note 5. I'm hoping it's just the app that has the problem.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does it always happen right when you turn the screen off? If not, it may be a Spotify issue. I reported a bug recently (acknowledged by them) where sometimes, randomly, songs would skip on their own or Fast Forward on their own. For me it only seems to happen when Bluetooth devices are connected and when data coverage gets spotty, but it's only happened a couple times in the past few weeks.

Oh, and it happened on my Note 4 when I reported it and it happened those couple times on the Note 5 now.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Does it always happen right when you turn the screen off? If not, it may be a Spotify issue. I reported a bug recently (acknowledged by them) where sometimes, randomly, songs would skip on their own or Fast Forward on their own. For me it only seems to happen when Bluetooth devices are connected and when data coverage gets spotty, but it's only happened a couple times in the past few weeks.

Oh, and it happened on my Note 4 when I reported it and it happened those couple times on the Note 5 now.

Yes, it only happens at the moment that I go to turn the screen off. It's almost as if the power button is being recognized as a way to change the song. Super annoying and odd.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Would this be a problem with my phone and the screen acting as if I pressed it

One way to test this would be to open up your playlist and keep pressing the power button.
See if it changes to the song that's aligned on the screen with the power button, or if it's an entirely random one.

The former would confirm it's a screen issue, the latter would suggest it's the app.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
One way to test this would be to open up your playlist and keep pressing the power button.
See if it changes to the song that's aligned on the screen with the power button, or if it's an entirely random one.

The former would confirm it's a screen issue, the latter would suggest it's the app.

Oooh, that makes sense. Trying this now.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
It happened to me too earlier today for the first time on this phone, but honestly as much as I love Spotify, it's buggy. I had so many glitches with it on my note 4, and it's my most used app so I deal with it, but it has been somewhat better on the note 5.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Just tried because right after I posted it happened to me again, but only once. So I'm chalking it up to Spotify not playing nice.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Just tried because right after I posted it happened to me again, but only once. So I'm chalking it up to Spotify not playing nice.

Yes, and now mine won't do it at all. I've literally turned the screen on and off about 50 times now, and no song change. Lol. It's so random and only happens when it wants to. A few days ago I tried reinstalling Spotify, and I thought that solved it, but then it happened again today.

So, everything with my screen must be fine, right?

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and I just remembered that it happened last week when I was pressing the volume buttons as well, with the screen on. But it happens more often when I'm turning the screen off.

sbatwater

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've actually run into this since I started using my Note 5 also, but I'm pretty sure it's either a Spotify issue, or my hand (or some part of my hand) is triggering either a button or a swipe on the screen when I go to hit the power button.

Those bezels are so thin, this is the price we must pay!

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't manage to get mine to do it. (I have a case on if that makes a difference.)

Yeah, if I try to do it it won't happen. It's very rare and random. I thought it was me bumping the screen before I turned it off but I know it's not. Idk, I'm just glad to see that a few others are having the same issue.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to revive a super old thread...

But for those who were experiencing this, is it still happening? I've noticed that the app has updated several times, but the issue still occurs. And, I pay attention each time it happens and the song that it is changing to is not lined up with the power button.. so that's good I suppose?

Dunners01

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
This happens to me every day, almost everytime I quickly hit the power button when Spotify is on screen. Its so annoying. I even bought a new android phone and still the same problem.

Did you ever figure out how to fix the problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair