GMail email delivery on SGN5 (AT&T)

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Since I bought my Note 5 on 25th Aug, I was using Outlook.com email, and thus had it connected as an Exchange account.
Then, two days ago, 1st Sep, I decided to go all in on Android, and start using my Google GMail account.

Email delivery on Outlook.com, to my SGN5, was virtually instant. But, I can't say the same for GMail. One can wait anything from 1 minute, to never, to only when you refresh the GMail mail icon (not a specific GMail app).

Why is that? One would think that since it is Google, it would be even better, no?

Ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Open the GMail app. Go to settings, to that particular account. There's a setting for how often the app should check for email. Set it to Never. (Make sure the email account is IMAP. If it's a POP3 account you'll never get your email.) Never, on a POP3 account, means "as soon as the server sends it - which is normally as soon as the server receives it. It's normally so fast that I sometimes use email for live chat.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the response. Currently, if I remember correctly, when I added the account, I added it as 'Google'.
Based on that, I open the email app, and check settings, but, don't see any option for editing the time span delivery of emails. Rather odd...

Open the GMail app. Go to settings, to that particular account. There's a setting for how often the app should check for email. Set it to Never. (Make sure the email account is IMAP. If it's a POP3 account you'll never get your email.) Never, on a POP3 account, means "as soon as the server sends it - which is normally as soon as the server receives it. It's normally so fast that I sometimes use email for live chat.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Currently, I'm at home, and I've just added my GMail account back to my SGN5. One email test was instant, the other took two minutes.
I'll test again shortly...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been testing this for about 30 minutes or so. To me, the issue is when the device is in 'sleep mode', i.e. when the screen is off.
If the screen is on, and you send yourself a test email, it delivers instantly. If the screen is off, it could be anything from 1-5 minutes. Now, if you wake the screen, during the time an email was sent, it will deliver. This ONLY seems to be with GMail; my other accounts work as expected...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What app are you using? Don't using the crappy email app that ships with the phone. Use the official Google gmail or inbox app and you should be fine and not have any sync issues.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
And that app works with GMail for Calendar, Contacts, email, etc.?

What app are you using? Don't using the crappy email app that ships with the phone. Use the official Google gmail or inbox app and you should be fine and not have any sync issues.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: GMail email delivery on SGN5 (AT&T)

And that app works with GMail for Calendar, Contacts, email, etc.?
When you add your Google account to the phone it automatically sync to your calendar, contacts etc. Open the contacts, calendar app or add the corresponding widgets and everything is automatically sync'd. Just use the Google apps for the best experience instead of crappy ugly looking manufacturer apps.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a s/w issue because I have two Gmail accounts, one ActiveSync and the other IMAP, both set to push and I receive mail as it hits the server. That's using the stock e-mail client.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo