Sanitizing Your Phone

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
How do you guys sanitize your phone? I have to admit, I'm quite the germophobe. Used to get sick all the time when I was younger and I had it. Now I'm very diligent about such things.

I usually take a disinfectant wipe or two every day (coming home from a night out, when it's been in my pocket, etc) and wipe it down then dry with a microfiber cloth.

Is this bad for the phone? Is there a better way? How do you guys do it if you're crazy like me?

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
If you're crazy then so am I. I do it the exact same way you do. Haven't had a problem yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I use a solution that I make for my glasses:
1 part rubbing alcohol
2 parts distilled water
1 tiny drop of dishwashing liquid

I do this in sprayers that came in eyeglass kits.
It's the same solution that you pay for.
Works perfectly on optics, phones, computer screens.
I also use it to sanitize keyboard, touchpads, the works.

Aren't we all a bit OCD?

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I use water and tissue paper. You'd be surprised how well water works to remove the oils from the screen. I don't like using any products as I've noticed after months of use, it starts wearing away the protective layer of the screen which makes it even more of an oil/dust magnet.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I use a solution that I make for my glasses:
1 part rubbing alcohol
2 parts distilled water
1 tiny drop of dishwashing liquid

I do this in sprayers that came in eyeglass kits.
It's the same solution that you pay for.
Works perfectly on optics, phones, computer screens.
I also use it to sanitize keyboard, touchpads, the works.

Aren't we all a bit OCD?

I would suggest you may wish to switch the dish detergent to a hand detergent as the dish detergent generally has a strong alkali constituent (used to cut cooking grease) which can etch glass and cloud plastic with repeated use.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hand detergents oftentimes have moisturizers in them. I guess you have to be careful which brand you choose.
Thanks for the heads up!

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. Glad to hear that using wipes on the phone screen doesn't seem to be quite a detriment. I wonder if it starts to wear at the screen or the sensors or whatever over time? It shouldn't but maybe someone knows better, haha.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just use a microfiber cloth every now and then.

Wouldn't want to see mine on a microscopic level though....lol

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In a test done by a laboratory quite a few years back, it was found that the real danger, a few certain bacteria and a lot of viruses, aren't affected by alcohol at all - they're just moved around (which makes wiping your arm with a swab before getting a shot or having blood drawn kind of ludicrous). Putting your fork down on your napkin, then picking it up and eating with it, or leaving your food uncovered on the plate while you're eating, is far more dangerous than putting a few bacteria on your outer ear. (One of the functions of ear wax is to wash micro-organisms out of your ear canal.)

I use a microfiber cloth, with one corner dampened with lens cleaning fluid, to get the oil and fingerprints off the screen, then use the dry part to wipe the screen.

Do you sanitize the steering wheel in your car before you drive? That collects a LOT more germs than your phone does. So does the door handle - don't open the car door before sanitizing the handle.

IOW, we worry about something trivial while ignoring much greater dangers. Just sitting on a car seat that hasn't been sanitized transfers germs to the inside of your body. (BTW, they're the same germs we breathe in all day and night - we've evolved to not only be immune to most of them, but to need a lot of them. Mitochondria was once a germ.)

If you want a real awakening, get access to a 200X or 300X microscope, comb your eyebrows onto a piece of filter paper and look at it under the scope. That's what lives on you all the time, and you'd probably die without most of it.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
In a test done by a laboratory quite a few years back, it was found that the real danger, a few certain bacteria and a lot of viruses, aren't affected by alcohol at all - they're just moved around (which makes wiping your arm with a swab before getting a shot or having blood drawn kind of ludicrous). Putting your fork down on your napkin, then picking it up and eating with it, or leaving your food uncovered on the plate while you're eating, is far more dangerous than putting a few bacteria on your outer ear. (One of the functions of ear wax is to wash micro-organisms out of your ear canal.)

I use a microfiber cloth, with one corner dampened with lens cleaning fluid, to get the oil and fingerprints off the screen, then use the dry part to wipe the screen.

Do you sanitize the steering wheel in your car before you drive? That collects a LOT more germs than your phone does. So does the door handle - don't open the car door before sanitizing the handle.

IOW, we worry about something trivial while ignoring much greater dangers. Just sitting on a car seat that hasn't been sanitized transfers germs to the inside of your body. (BTW, they're the same germs we breathe in all day and night - we've evolved to not only be immune to most of them, but to need a lot of them. Mitochondria was once a germ.)

If you want a real awakening, get access to a 200X or 300X microscope, comb your eyebrows onto a piece of filter paper and look at it under the scope. That's what lives on you all the time, and you'd probably die without most of it.

Thank you for ruining my week. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech