Any options to compensate for only having 32 gb of internal storage on the Note 5?

KSY77

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought the Samsung Note 5 and unfortunately it only has 32 gb of internal storage. I was bummed out about this but found a fairly decent product that could somewhat compensate for the lack of internal storage. It's called the Seagate Wireless Plus 2 tb external storage product. Here is what it looks like if you are interested in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4gk3JKcSmU

For those in Canada, this product is on sale for $199 (normally $250) until Sept 10, 2015 at Best Buy:

Seagate 2TB Plus Wireless 2.5" Portable External Hard Drive (STCV2000100) : Portable External Hard Drives - Best Buy Canada

Any other options available?

Cheers!

Last edited:

unknownuser02

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You could have also bought the 64GB version...

There are also OTA adapters that will allow you to plug in external memory to the Micro-USB port of the phone.

KSY77

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks...in Canada we only have the 32 gb version of Note 5 available so far. I couldn't wait. But the Seagate Wirelss Plus is pretty cool...works well enough. On Sale at best buy now...for those interested.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I use a cable and 64 gb thumb drive.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 920.jpg
    920.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 114

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
This didn't post on the first one for some reason.

Attachments

• 919.jpg
    919.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 200

JanShim

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
The Note 5 comes with USB 2.0 and an old SanDisk 32GB USB 2.0 OTG suddenly became handy but I rarely have a use for one unless I am travelling. As a habit, I transfer all images to the PC as soon as I get home.

IMG_3704_DxO.jpg

Robby Robb

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I use this plus it hangs on my key chain I have a 128 gb micro SD card in there full of music

Attachments

• 13914.jpg
    13914.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 174

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As an avid Chromebook user, I am all about cloud storage and never buy a phone with more than 32GB. At that, my phones are always at least half empty storage-wise.

Google Drive, Google Photos (set for instant back-up), Google Music/Spotify and being picky about installed apps makes this work for me.

If you need to bring movies on a plane, or tons of music along with you without the need to stream, then larger data stores have an advantage. In my experience, many people I know do just fine with 32GB. Certainly, the OTG is an immediate, and affordable fix if you don't need that storage all the time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rooting the phone, installing a large SD card (SanDisk makes a decently-priced 200GB card now) and running External 2 Internal SD (Root) will switch the "internal" and external card mounting, so the phone will use the external card as if it were the internal card. (As far as Android is concerned, it downloads and installs apps to sd0 - whatever hardware is mounted as sd0.) So you can have a phone with 200GB of "internal" storage if you like. (External SD cards work differently than internal storage, so writing to them constantly - which is what's done to internal storage - will shorten their lives, but by the time the card dies, a 200GB card will probably sell for $25 or less. My first micro card was 2GB. WOW! So much room. You can't even buy one now, because the plastic case it comes in is worth more than the card.)

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I solve this by a thing called cloud storage ,, dropbox, google drive, and one drive use them all , and i also push items via bluetooth to the macbook from the note 5 so 32gb onboard is fine with all of the cloud options.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I solve this by a thing called cloud storage ,, dropbox, google drive, and one drive use them all , and i also push items via bluetooth to the macbook from the note 5 so 32gb onboard is fine with all of the cloud options.

Agreed.
While is seems so old school to worry about local storage, there are still use cases in which it's useful - as per the posts above. Those use cases however just don't apply to me, so I am very happy with a rather empty 32GB N5 living in the cloud.

unknownuser02

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
As an avid Chromebook user, I am all about cloud storage and never buy a phone with more than 32GB. At that, my phones are always at least half empty storage-wise.

Google Drive, Google Photos (set for instant back-up), Google Music/Spotify and being picky about installed apps makes this work for me.

If you need to bring movies on a plane, or tons of music along with you without the need to stream, then larger data stores have an advantage. In my experience, many people I know do just fine with 32GB. Certainly, the OTG is an immediate, and affordable fix if you don't need that storage all the time.

Agreed.
While is seems so old school to worry about local storage, there are still use cases in which it's useful - as per the posts above. Those use cases however just don't apply to me, so I am very happy with a rather empty 32GB N5 living in the cloud.

I also frequently use cloud storage, but it's not always a viable option. I work with larger files on my phone, and have a limited data plan (I don't have WiFi at work). I have to be selective of what I can transfer to and from cloud storage to keep my data use within my data plan limits.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Since we only have a 32GB option in Canada I was fine with that. Like others I use Google Music and Photos. I am around WiFi alot when being home and work and I have a 12GB data plan from Rogers. $2 a month for 100GB of Google Drive space. Works out perfectly for me.

I have basically all the apps i use installed right now and have 22.3GB still left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez