WiFi drain

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
It's my opinion that WiFi drains the battery faster than using strictly cell. I did two different tests on this for two days straight. With just WiFi on an in airplane mode in two hours doing Web surfing and social media as well as some light email and text battery drain was 11%.

Then I did the opposite using just 4g and no WiFi. Under the same circumstance I dropped only 8%.

Also I charged the battery back to 100% each time I tested.

My conclusion is that using WiFi only in certain circumstances would be ideal. Since I don't have great reception from home I need wifi BUT not when the phone sleeps. So the great solution is to select Never when asked in WiFi settings when to allow WiFi during sleep.

Easy right? Nope. Not. Because I'm now convinced that option is for some reason not working. Unless of course sleep only occurs after a certain time frame from shutting off the screen.

You can see I have option properly selected.

You can also see that according to GSM battery WiFi and cell signal are on for the same period of time despite my screen not being on at all times. How does this make sense?

Unless there is something else causing this to not work properly.

Thoughts anyone?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 376.jpg
    376.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 377.jpg
    377.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 60

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you're right , when you select 'never' or 'only when plugged in' with keep wifi on during sleep, it takes about 5-10 minutes to turn off the WiFi.

Right now I'm combining this option with the app 'Doze' as Doze activates very quickly and limits access of WiFi to the apps and services that you allow.

Another solution would be to setup taker to turn off the wifi when the screen is off, but I haven't actually tried that option.

dreaming of electric sheep

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind the strength of the wifi and cellular signal. Also check what you allow your device to do: what can it do/update on wifi vs. LTE.
At home I have a very good strong wifi but my cellular is marginal. At work it is just the opposite. Wherever possible I have my device to allow all ops from wifi and LTE. I do notice a battery difference between the two and there is a faster drain with low wifi vs. low LTE. Biggest thing is I have disabled the carrier function to allow public wifi autolinking (AT&T). That was killing my battery. :eek:

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind the strength of the wifi and cellular signal. Also check what you allow your device to do: what can it do/update on wifi vs. LTE.
At home I have a very good strong wifi but my cellular is marginal. At work it is just the opposite. Wherever possible I have my device to allow all ops from wifi and LTE. I do notice a battery difference between the two and there is a faster drain with low wifi vs. low LTE. Biggest thing is I have disabled the carrier function to allow public wifi autolinking (AT&T). That was killing my battery. :eek:

Guess I'm not following you. My circumstances are the same as you. Low signal but strong WiFi at home. What do u do specifically to help you at home?

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith