Stock email app Vs Gmail app

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
All, don't know if this has been discussed before but wanted to know opinions on those who use the stock email app (pro's/con's) over the Gmail or other standalone email app. I have pretty much used the Gmail app on all my phones but wanted to know if I was missing out on any functionality or features from the stock app especially with the S-Pen. Really trying to utilize the S-Pen in as many ways as possible in my day to day. Do notifications come in as timely with the stock app as it does with the Gmail app? Any major gripes with stock email app? Is it easy to move between folders like the Gmail app? As always, your opinions and feedback are appreciated.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally always use the gmail or inbox app, way better than the crappy stock email apps the OEMs ship. I change a lots of phone as well so I use gmail or inbox app for consistency.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I generally use the Gmail app but tried the native samsung app for a week. Comparing the two, I found that in my case the samsung app was inconsistent with receiving emails promptly. It always got them but sometimes slower than my tablet that was using the Gmail app with the same accounts and same settings. When both are using the Gmail app they come in almost simultaneously. I have three emails accounts (Gmail account, Comcast imap account and an Exchange account). One other thing I noticed was that the samsung email app used more battery than the Gmail app under the same conditions.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I generally use the Gmail app but tried the native samsung app for a week. Comparing the two, I found that in my case the samsung app was inconsistent with receiving emails promptly. It always got them but sometimes slower than my tablet that was using the Gmail app with the same accounts and same settings. When both are using the Gmail app they come in almost simultaneously. I have three emails accounts (Gmail account, Comcast imap account and an Exchange account). One other thing I noticed was that the samsung email app used more battery than the Gmail app under the same conditions.

Thanks for the feedback, I have heard others say, notifications were not as prompt as with the Gmail app. I guess I just need to use it for a week to compare and really see what the differences are for myself.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Does the stock email app offer the hover feature with the S-Pen? Where you can see a portion of the email without actually opening it?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
TheDon, what color Note 5 did you get? I always use the app called Mailbox by the Dropbox company. After I started using it a couple of years ago I never even looked at other email apps. I broke down and ordered up the Note 5 this morning. :p

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
TheDon, what color Note 5 did you get? I always use the app called Mailbox by the Dropbox company. After I started using it a couple of years ago I never even looked at other email apps. I broke down and ordered up the Note 5 this morning.
Lol, your as bad as me........I got the White 64GB, love this thing man, battery life is superb.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Lol, your as bad as me........I got the White 64GB, love this thing man, battery life is superb.

Yea, Dumped my White Note 4 and got the 128GB S6 and it's so puny, can't wait for the Note 5 to arrive tomorrow.
Got the Zagg Glass and Commuter case also on the way.

dasupaman23

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
TheDon, what color Note 5 did you get? I always use the app called Mailbox by the Dropbox company. After I started using it a couple of years ago I never even looked at other email apps. I broke down and ordered up the Note 5 this morning.
+1 for Mailbox. Syncs great on all of my other devices and Mac. And you don't get those silly grouped tabs that gmail does now. I am sure I can turn them off but I hardly log into gmail app or website anymore.

Sent from my Note 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante