You came from the iPhone 6+, got the Note 5 and did all the tricks

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Since you did all the tricks, how is the battery life as compared to the 6+? I charge my 6+ every other day. What say ye? And what were the things you did that were the major contributors to better battery life?

I want to get back into Android, prev Note 3 owner. Gave it up because of the GPS. The battery life and GPS have me held up from pulling the trigger.

Thx muchly

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I charge mine every other day. I use my note 5 as I did my 6+. No other "tricks" other than turning off what I don't use and replacing misbehaving apps.

from my smexy Note 5

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Didn't come from the iPhone but 6 plus sot with minimal tweaking lots of browsing and streaming movies and texting. No issues with GPS on this phone.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

dudeman702

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
My 6+ standby battery time was brilliant, however that wasn't the case with the note 5 at first, but after debloating over 100 bloatware Samsung apps, I go 2 days easily without charging and at moderate use. Just trying to use the phones capacities to its fullest.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried the app 'Doze' ? it is great for increasing standby time.

dreaming of electric sheep

I didn't come from the 6+ but I do have a iPhone 6, (work phone) and yes in standby the battery is bleeding on the Note 5 vs. hardly nothing on the iPhone 6. But I really don't mind, using my Note 5 as I would any other I get over 16hrs of battery life. This is a great phone. As per your suggestion, I looked at the Doze app but I don't like the idea of allowing a third party app rights to create a VPN with my phone for the "purpose of monitoring network traffic". So at least for me this app is a no go! But thanks for the suggestion.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't mean to beat a dead horse. But I just couldn't deal with the battery life. I returned my Note 5 a few weeks ago. Didn't like crippling the phone for my battery to last at least until 5pm. I think I would've been able to deal with it had the 128gb version been offered.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Battery blows on the note 5 compared to the iPhone 6+. If you want to take same features away from the note 5 than you may make it last a day. I haven't been able to get a day out of it yet. I am a pretty have user. But easy to get a day with 6+
Having the better display, S-pen, camera and form factor is keeping me from switching back.

Also the quick charge makes a huge difference. I bought a quick charge 12000mah portable quick charge battery that work great. Did I mention it's quick charge?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
For me, the battery life is fine. I get almost two days use out of it.

To me, it will never be like the iPhone 6+. With that device I used to get well over two days battery life and that was without a strain.

Albeit, on my Note 5, I haven't done 'tricks' to get decent battery life...

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
My battery is insanely good, Gsam shows 2.5 days of battery and I can easily get 6+ hours of SoT. Standby is about 1% per 2 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Carl Bloom

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My new note 5 seems to get about 50% of the battery life my iPhone 6 plus got. I could easily go 2 days with the 6+, can get a day out of the note 5 but it's very close. I just make it. But I expected that, with a QHD display and more powerful hardware. I'm ok with it. I love my new note.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
My new note 5 seems to get about 50% of the battery life my iPhone 6 plus got. I could easily go 2 days with the 6+, can get a day out of the note 5 but it's very close. I just make it. But I expected that, with a QHD display and more powerful hardware. I'm ok with it. I love my new note.

Did you do all of the power saving tricks?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I must have a different 6 plus because my battery sucks on my iPhone.

Battery life on my 6plus was amazing. In fact one of the reasons I kept it so long because I'm not really an iPhone user. It was better than any phone I had last year but I heard from other people other things so I guess it just depended on how it was used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chan_xo

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Battery life on my 6plus was amazing. In fact one of the reasons I kept it so long because I'm not really an iPhone user. It was better than any phone I had last year but I heard from other people other things so I guess it just depended on how it was used.

i get about 9 hours on my iPhone, all i mainly do is Facebook and text messages lol so I'm confused. I'm not sure if my cracked screen has anything to do with it, but my battery life has started declining over the last three months, heavily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carlos Reyes4

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 6+ to get the Note 5 and yeah the battery was better but only in standby time. If I try to game or watch a movie it would drain just like any other phone and maybe just as fast. One thing to keep in mind is there is hardly any background action on the iPhone, the OS is simpler vs all the things going on with Android (widgets, better notification system, backgrounding apps and so on). So to get 16 hrs and almost 5 hours of SOT is beautiful for me at least. In addition, the fast charging on this thing is amazing (had 52% when I got in my car after work and after a 25 minute drive 91% ridiculously fast). Love it!!

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 6+ to get the Note 5 and yeah the battery was better but only in standby time. If I try to game or watch a movie it would drain just like any other phone and maybe just as fast. One thing to keep in mind is there is hardly any background action on the iPhone, the OS is simpler vs all the things going on with Android (widgets, better notification system, backgrounding apps and so on). So to get 16 hrs and almost 5 hours of SOT is beautiful for me at least. In addition, the fast charging on this thing is amazing (had 52% when I got in my car after work and after a 25 minute drive 91% ridiculously fast). Love it!!

So for me it's almost the same between the two for battery. Iphone 6+ was great in standby so when I wasn't using it NOTHING drained from the battery.

With this phone there's a lot background apps that run even with screen off so it doesn't seem to be better in that respect.

However when I did have SOT for iPhone seemed to drain faster when I did actually use it vs the Note 5.

One difference for me is cell reception. I don't get great reception at my home so I need WiFi on. For some reason with WiFi and cell on in my home I get more drain on the Note.

For iPhone I believe their radios in the device are better and stronger so I never had an issue.

I'm averagong between 10-12 hours with moderate to heavy use on my Note 5. On the iphone it was 12-14 hours.

I also liked the fact that on the 6+ I could tell specific apps if I wanted GPS or not vs Note 5 which is set to use it in different power modes. However the iPhone GPS drained battery MUCH faster when in use. Location on iPhone hurts battery in a big way when using it.

For me I just prefer Android and the camera on this is much better that my iPhone but then again I'm not a pro photographer and thought photos on the 6+ were good.

I just wish I didn't have to change so many things to get battery optimal for heavy use. I use it for work not play and therefore need good battery. It's OK. Not great. But OK.

I've looked at all the long battery life from others and fidn myself laughing out loud because I use my phone constantly and down get that. My SOT is about 4.5-5.5 hours and I'm getting 10-12 hours. I weekends it's more like 15-18 or more but I'm not reaching for it as much.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca