Notification Shade not pulling down consistently?

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed with my Note 5 that periodically I am unable to pull down the notification shade. I can force it by pressing a notification on the lock screen and swiping the phone awake, so I am avoiding doing that. But, probably about 20% of the time I have to put the phone back into lock mode and wake it up to pull the shade down. Is anyone else having this issue? I can't see a setting on the phone or in my launcher which could cause this; I use Nova Launcher. I toggled back to TW and this did not help the situation.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
If you have Nova Prime, go to Nova Settings>Gestures and inputs>Gestures>Swipe down and set that option to "Expand Notifications". That way you'll be able to swipe down anywhere on the screen to access the Notification bar. That test may help narrow down what your specific issue is. Plus it has the added bonus of being way easier to access the bar on a large phone. :)

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
If you have Nova Prime, go to Nova Settings>Gestures and inputs>Gestures>Swipe down and set that option to "Expand Notifications". That way you'll be able to swipe down anywhere on the screen to access the Notification bar. That test may help narrow down what your specific issue is. Plus it has the added bonus of being way easier to access the bar on a large phone. :)

Hmmm...that is set in Nova, but the accessibility services settings are not recognizing it. I turned the Nova service off and back on to reset it. Also just cleared the cache partition. Setup with Nova Prime on this phone seems to have a few minor bugs, hopefully the cache reset helps some. Thanks.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...that is set in Nova, but the accessibility services settings are not recognizing it. I turned the Nova service off and back on to reset it. Also just cleared the cache partition. Setup with Nova Prime on this phone seems to have a few minor bugs, hopefully the cache reset helps some. Thanks.
Also restart the device. I had the same issue when I first installed Nova Prime.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue the first day that I got my note 5 on launch. I though it was due to the energy bar app that I installed on my phone, I removed it, restarted it and thought everything was fine. after a couple of hours it started happening again. I then installed nova launcher and action launcher to switch between the two, but I set up gestures to allow me to swipe the shade down using two fingers. That was fine, but it only works when you are at the home screen. so I deleted those and tried a restart, and it started happening again the next day. now the only other thing that I have on my phone that MAY contribute to it is the daydream, I have that set to power on using just the colors, and I sometimes notice it when I am awakening my phone from the daydream. and sometimes, just by turning the screen on.

As mfprince stated, the only way that I have been able to work around it is by locking the screen, swiping down the notification shade from the lock screen, and then unlocking the phone via swipe or fingerprint authentication. it is rather annoying none the less.

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Just as a suggestion, restart the phone in safe mode. If it works okay, then it may be a software conflict.

Posted via the Android Central App using the AT&T Note 5, 64GB

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I had this issue the first day that I got my note 5 on launch. I though it was due to the energy bar app that I installed on my phone, I removed it, restarted it and thought everything was fine. after a couple of hours it started happening again. I then installed nova launcher and action launcher to switch between the two, but I set up gestures to allow me to swipe the shade down using two fingers. That was fine, but it only works when you are at the home screen. so I deleted those and tried a restart, and it started happening again the next day. now the only other thing that I have on my phone that MAY contribute to it is the daydream, I have that set to power on using just the colors, and I sometimes notice it when I am awakening my phone from the daydream. and sometimes, just by turning the screen on.

As mfprince stated, the only way that I have been able to work around it is by locking the screen, swiping down the notification shade from the lock screen, and then unlocking the phone via swipe or fingerprint authentication. it is rather annoying none the less.

I am still getting the problem, but with less frequency. My phone (AT&T 64gb) received a software update yesterday, this has not changed the condition for better or worse. I will boot in safe mode to see if this helps, I believe I tried this last week as well, but it's worth another shot I suppose. I have already become conditioned to the lock/unlock cycle whenever it locks up.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I am still getting the problem, but with less frequency. My phone (AT&T 64gb) received a software update yesterday, this has not changed the condition for better or worse. I will boot in safe mode to see if this helps, I believe I tried this last week as well, but it's worth another shot I suppose. I have already become conditioned to the lock/unlock cycle whenever it locks up.

yeah we're in the same boat....

For you other guys, are you using AT&T variants of the Note 5? mine is also a 64GB Note 5 on AT&T

savesteve

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I found this happens to me after I unlock the phone from Daydream. If I just unlock from Daydream mode then I can't pull-down the shade at all. If I turn the screen off then unlock it again, it works fine.

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm turning daydream off for the next 24 hours to see if that helps. My problem usually doesn't happen coming out of daydreaming, but its been set up since I got the phone.

Safe mode didn't really help as this (for me) is an intermittent problem so I'd have to leave safe mode on for a whole day to see if an app is causing this. It did, however, delete my work exchange account off of the phone and defaulted me back to the stock keyboard...

Posted via the Android Central App

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
So, an update of sorts. I turned Daydream off on my phone yesterday evening. I have not used my phone as much as normal today because work has been busy, but every time I've unlocked it today the notifications function perfectly. If this is a fix I can live without the daydream functions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar