Note 5 and Car Audio System

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2015 Ford Focus ST with Nav and the Sync system. I cannot get the Note 5 to play audio over USB or BlueTooth. I can get audio over USB and BT on my iPhone 6 and an older Nexus 5 I have.

Does anyone know where the USB and BT settings are on the Note 5 so that I can adjust them to get the Note 5 to work?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Long pressing the BT toggle on your quick settings bar should take you to the BT Settings.

Does your car system see the Note? Do you get an error while pairing? I didn't have any issues pairing with mine (or any other BT device I own).

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Go into settings under "more connection settings" and turn mirror link on,, that should take care of usb.

Note 5 is DOPE

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are any other devices connected to your car at the time? If so, another device might be taking over the Audio part. For instance, if I let my iPhone connect first, I can use that for audio, but when the Note 5 connects afterwards, it does so in Phone mode. Only if I first connect the Note will it go into Phone/Audio, and then the iPhone will kick into Phone only.

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
First off, I should clarify I would prefer to use Pocket Cast to listen to podcasts. This work fine on the iPhone with USB and BT.

I put an MP3 on the Note 5 and over USB the system will play the song, but not Pocket Cast output. I switched the MirrorLink on and the MP3 stopped playing.

At one point I saw a message on the Nav screen that said the connected device (Note 5) would not allow DRM protected content to play on the system.

The system in the car will allow multiple BT devices to connect to it at the same time. You can specify a default and also one to use for voice calls and 911 features. My iPhone autoconnects via BT when I get in the car, so I will try turning the BT on the iPhone off.

The system in the car also has a mobile hotspot feature for a connected USB phone. It can share the hotspot over a wireless router built into the car.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also remember that iPhone USB audio works differently from Android. Most car systems (unless they have Mirror Link or Android Auto) will have the right software to use USB Audio out (same as BlueTooth or Headphones) on an iPhone, but on Android it works as a normal USB MP3 player, which means most systems won't recognize it for general audio like the do an iPhone, only to play MP3 files off of them as if you were using a memory stick.

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Few updates.

I have added a few MP3 song files to the Note 5 and they will play of the USB. It worked as soon as I turned off USB Debugging. It appears the Note 5 is connecting as a storage device, as playing Pocket Cast on the device will not play to the car. I even changed the setting in Pocket Cast to make the files available to other apps on the device.

It appears the Note 5 will only connect to my Sync system as a phone when using BlueTooth. I turned the BT off on my iPhone 6 and deleted the device from the Sync system. It was only showing the Note 5 and I set it as the Favorite device. I then went to the BT settings on the Note 5 and when I go to the Media setting to ON under the Sync connection, it toggles to ON and then back to OFF. It will not stay in the ON position.

dasupaman23

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I have a 2014 Flex with Sync. Did you do the update that came out a few months back? I've noticed it works better with Android now. I even get profile pictures pop up when I get a text from a contact now.

Also have you tried playing audio using a streaming service or just music stored locally in the device?

Sent from my Note 5

dasupaman23

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Just tried it again in my car and looks like I'm having the same issue. The Note won't allow BT audio transfer for some reason.

Not sure if it's on Samsung's end or Fords.

In my work truck I use a Bluetooth FM transmitter and can stream any media and calls fine.

Sent from my Note 5

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2014 F150 with Sync, works flawlessly with my Note 5. Don't know of if it's the same, but check for updates.

Sent from my Note 5 that I said I wouldn't get but now that I have it I love it.

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I rented a 2015 Fusion with the Sync system last week and my two-day old Note 5 streamed music via BT flawlessly. Not sure if the Sync system for '15 is significantly different, but everything seemed to work fine with the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's also a good idea, to check for updates on the car system. Some do have issues with Lollipop.

Like I mentioned before, most systems will not support audio out through USB for Android. It can only work as USB Storage Device and pull supported media files from it (MP3, MP4, WAV, etc., depending on your car system). iPhones have a different protocol and most car systems license it so that audio can be streamed through USB as well.

Devin Rhoades

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a 12 ford focus titanium with my ford touch. My note 5 didn't BTW stream with it up till the most recent update on the 21st of oct. I have until paired it. Deleted device. Everything. I have the same issue where it will toggle on then go off as well.

Tiannaaileen

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have the latest Sync update v4.4 for the basic Sync stereo? My note 5 isn't supported on my extremely outdated stereo in the car I just bought. It works with calling but not media via Bluetooth or USB. I tried the master reset but it didn't work. My phone won't even let me turn in media sharing under the sync Bluetooth connection settings. So I'm sure I just need the update. But the link to the update on fords website is broken thanks to fords web designers. Ive tried it everyday for 2 weeks or more and they still haven't fixed the link. And I really don't want to pay the dealer $120 and take a day off of work to get the update from them... When the update is supposed to be available online. I'm getting really irritated.

TTQ225

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I can't comment on Ford system, but my Note 5 is capable of running Slacker app via Bluetooth in my 2016 Audi Q5. It turns the app on when I select it as a media source via car's MMS and turns the app off when ignition is turned off.

Posted on shiny naked titanium silver Note 5 64Gb.

henderjr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got a 2015 explorer and my phone works fine but it randomly will connect to phone audio when connecting. Sometimes it'll connect and continue to play Sirius or the radio that I was last listening to and other times it'll connect and switch to Bluetooth audio. Kind of annoying since I haven't wanted to listen to anything through my phone yet. Anyone else have this? I have a stock rooted Sprint Note 5.

T-roni

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Just got a 2015 explorer and my phone works fine but it randomly will connect to phone audio when connecting. Sometimes it'll connect and continue to play Sirius or the radio that I was last listening to and other times it'll connect and switch to Bluetooth audio. Kind of annoying since I haven't wanted to listen to anything through my phone yet. Anyone else have this? I have a stock rooted Sprint Note 5.

We're you able to find s a solution? My phone just started doing the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:

henderjr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not really. I just go into bluetooth settings on the phone and find my explorer and turn off "media audio" . So it'll use the vehicle for phone calls if I make or receive one but no music unless I tick that switch back on. Not ideal but it works

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar