Fix an unrecognized fingerprint

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

There have been a few threads about fingerprints not being recognized and people forgetting their backup passwords. I was able to reset my fingerprint without doing a factory restore today. (I had help)

First, I was not locked out of my phone. My fingerprint was not recognized and I had forgotten the backup password. The fingerprint tool was stuck at the request for the backup password (which was not recognized because none of my goto passwords worked). Because of this, I couldn't reset the fingerprint or correct it. If you are locked out of your phone, this solution won't work because you need to access Settings.

Samsung live chat remotely accessed my phone and took care of the problem while I watched. Very cool. If you are not locked out of the phone you may want to pop over to Samsung.com and use the live chat.

Tap Settings.
Search for Applications
Tap Application Manager
Tap All
Scroll down to Fingerprint (It is an Android app)
Tap Clear Data
Tap Force Stop

the fingerprint app is then reset. You can create new fingerprints and a new backup password. She also checked my disabled apps just in case I had disabled something important. I had not. (Not sure what she was looking for though sorry.) :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that info! But as you point out, most of the people posting here about that problem have been locked out of their phone.

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that info! But as you point out, most of the people posting here about that problem have been locked out of their phone.

Yes, I was lucky. I created the fingerprint in anticipation of Samsung Pay but did not enable it until I could test it out. I still used the old fashioned 4 digit pin on the lock screen. With all the problems it is having I am not convinced I want it on the lock screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I see way too many posts here about the fingerprint scanner failing, and people either forgetting their backup PIN, or entering the one they're sure they selected but that one failing as well. Although some would be quick to suspect fraud, this problem has in fact happened to one our Ambassadors (Almeuit). If I had a phone with a fingerprint scanner, I'd avoid it as well.

McNibbler

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the fingerprint fail. I had my backup password fail. It jumped to a factory reset at 5 tries left. Then it got caught in a reboot loop. Wouldn't recognize my gmail address. I could log into my computer w/gmail and see my phone, but that was it. It did connect wifi. Verizon live chat and we did get it to reset again and was caught in the same boot up loop. They told me I was getting a new one and it's a flaw with the fingerprint reader. Google wanted my phone and Google is aware of the issue w/the fingerprint scanner. Verizon sent me a new one and Google took the old one. Verizon said not to activate fingerprint scanner until they release a fix for it. I was overnighted my new phone and won't activate the fingerprint scanner. Good thing all was backed up.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I must have missed something. I haven't seen any fingerprint fails. Now myself, with a fingerprint lock, I always do two fingerprints for the finger I always use and one for one finger on the other hand in case I break a hand or something.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
My fingers are dry often. I have used 3 of the settings for one thumb in different orientations. It works for me. When I have little bit of sweat on the finger tips it works much better

Posted via the Android Central App

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the fingerprint lock without difficulty. I tried using the backup password just to verify it--no problems there either.

McNibbler

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had both thumbs and one finger as well as hubby's thumb. All were a no go when it went out. Didn't matter if I had lotion on or not. I hadn't disabled anything yet, so that wasn't the issue. Just some glitch with the scanner. At least according to vzw and google.

BadRobot

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I want to pass on my experiences (similar to yours) hoping that it will help...

Like many others, after several failed attempts to use my fingerprint to unlock my phone, I was being asked for a backup password. Unfortunately, the one I had written down did not work. At one point, the phone asked me to log-in with Google. Possibly due to the fact that I use a Google Apps account or because I have 2-step authentication, that didn't work. I also tried Android Device Manager, but it wouldn't let me change the lock code because the phone was already locked. What a waste of a service if it really doesn't let you manage the phone.. but that's another topic.

I was locked out of my phone for hours (which sucks when you have 2-step authentication, believe me!)

But, Samsung to the rescue. I read a tip that Samsung's "Find My Mobile" can remotely unlock your phone. Sure enough, "Find My Mobile" is Android Device Manager done right. You're able to put your phone into power saving mode, unlock the screen, check call logs, be alerted if someone changes your SIM, locate the device, wipe the phone and more. Using a tablet, I unlocked my Note 5 and I was back in business. This time, I added each of my thumbprints twice to help improve accuracy and double checked my backup password.

Enable Samsung's Find My Mobile to save yourself if you're in a similar situation. findmymobile[dot]samsung[dot]com/mindex.jsp#

markwasley

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I tried what you said:

Tap Settings.
Search for Applications
Tap Application Manager
Tap All
Tap Clear Data
Tap Force Stop

But the fingerprint app is then NOT reset. It does NOT work on the Samsung Galaxy S6 4G.

markwasley

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Sorry again. Back to my original comments - it does not work. At least it does not work all the time. My phone started not recognising my fingerprint again and this time a restart of the phone didn't work. So, in conclusion, following your recommended steps (plus a restart of the phone) MAY work, but it could just as likely not make any difference.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I read in other threads that you shouldn't use two prints for the same finger so I stopped doing that long ago and just had one for 4 different fingers. It's still been so unreliable that I gave up on using the fingerprint to unlock because it didn't work 90% of the time. I've set up prints with super clean dry fingers, some after applying lotion and it's still intermittent. I'm with T-Mobile. Have not called them to inquire about issues with the scanner.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I noticed coming out of the shower the fingerprint unlock will occasionally fail. I suspect it's the temporary warping of skin tissue from staying in just long enough. Though there is a possibility it could be moisture....but I doubt it. In fact had this happen this morning. Had to remember my password but got it on the first try. :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could try Samsung's Find My Mobile to see if you can reset the password: Find My Mobile | Mobile Services | APPS | SAMSUNG UK

If that doesn't work, then you'll probably have to do a factory reset from the Recovery menu, which of course means you'll lose all of your unsaved/unsynced data. You will also have to enter your Google username and password after the reset, so hopefully you remember that.

The backup password is very important to remember, because it's not just for emergencies. The phone will ask you for the backup password in other situations as well, as outlined here:

"For security, you'll need to use your backup PIN, pattern, or password:

• When your fingerprint isn't recognized after a few tries
  • After restarting (rebooting) your device
  • After switching to a different user on the device
  • After more than 48 hours have passed since you last unlocked using your backup method"

Why Aitch

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

There have been a few threads about fingerprints not being recognized and people forgetting their backup passwords. I was able to reset my fingerprint without doing a factory restore today. (I had help)

First, I was not locked out of my phone. My fingerprint was not recognized and I had forgotten the backup password. The fingerprint tool was stuck at the request for the backup password (which was not recognized because none of my goto passwords worked). Because of this, I couldn't reset the fingerprint or correct it. If you are locked out of your phone, this solution won't work because you need to access Settings.

Samsung live chat remotely accessed my phone and took care of the problem while I watched. Very cool. If you are not locked out of the phone you may want to pop over to Samsung.com and use the live chat.

Tap Settings.
Search for Applications
Tap Application Manager
Tap All
Tap Clear Data
Tap Force Stop

the fingerprint app is then reset. You can create new fingerprints and a new backup password. She also checked my disabled apps just in case I had disabled something important. I had not. (Not sure what she was looking for though sorry.) :)

Hi there. Unfortunately the above did not work for me. The cleared data and forced stop seemed to not stick. Entries were zero for a while but then they reset somehow (?). Today I badly cut the pad of my finger I use to scan for the fingerprint scanner. Now it tells me fingerprint not recognised. I am lucky that I remembered my backup password. However, is there a way I can reset the fingerprint to use another finger please? Thanks.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon