Backing up my phone

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
For pics, video, docs, etc, I prefer to backup to my external hard drive which is connected to my router.
You can do the same with your PC.
For apps, I use helium, if I had root I would use titanium backup.
Many people use the cloud for everything , I use it for work docs only, I do not store my private data in the cloud.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Let Google back up everything for me , no worry about losing anything ever.

And you can access your stuff with any device as long as you have a gmail account.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I do pictures to Google pics and other stuff to One Drive. Now if I am going to do a full back up, I use Smart Switch to back it up to the computer and then I have those filed automatically sync to One Drive, so it is on the cloud also.

mnjeepmale

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I do pictures to Google pics and other stuff to One Drive. Now if I am going to do a full back up, I use Smart Switch to back it up to the computer and then I have those filed automatically sync to One Drive, so it is on the cloud also.

I want to transfer all my pictures from my previous phones to the Note 5. Since it doesn't have a SD card I am thinking about using Google Photo. When you say Google pic do you mean Google Photo's?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Meant Google Photos.

You don't have to transfer all your photos to your phone, you can do it to Google Photos and then downloads ad what you want.

What brand are your other phones?

mnjeepmale

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Meant Google Photos.

You don't have to transfer all your photos to your phone, you can do it to Google Photos and then downloads ad what you want.

What brand are your other phones?

First Galaxy S5 then switched to Note 4 about 6 months back and now Note 5. I have always kept my photo's on a SD card and still hundreds on the SD card in the Galaxy S5. Now I'm thinking of moving them to the cloud and make it easier to access on the Note 5 & when switching phones. Someone told me Google Photos but they said the quality of the images are not the best.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Quality of images is really when sharing a link.

With those phones, you can transfer them to your Note 5 by using Quick Connect it taping the backs together using the NFC.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Enable 'Backup my data' and 'Automatic restore' in Settings > Backup and restore. This backs up and restores Google contacts, Keep notes, Calendar, home screens, WiFi passwords and some other settings.

SMS/MMS can be backed with a dedicated SMS backup app or with general backup apps like MyBackup Pro or Helium, which can backup much more than just texts. Google Photos is very good for photos. Documents and other files can be manually backed up to a computer or cloud storage such as Google Drive or Dropbox. Photos, too.

Some apps like AquaMail, Nova Launcher, X-plore, FolderSync and VoiceChoice 2.0 have a backup function that will generate backup configuration files. Manually copy those for quick, easy restoration wihout having to go through setup and up all the options again. If there's no built-in backup function, you may be able to find and copy the configuration file for some apps.

When setting up, enter the appropriate Google account as the administrator, get WiFi working, add any other accounts. android will automaticlly start downloading and installing. Copy over any backup configuration files you have for AquaMail, Nova etc and all that extensive app configuration that took hours originally is restored bang - bang.

Most of the time in setting up is spent reconfiguring those apps that do not generate backup configuration files. Unfortunately, seems many developers who write otherwise nice apps sometimes overlook this important and handy function. All in all it really isn't too bad if you have a plan and apps such as AquaMail and Nova that will save the most complicated setups and restore them in seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox