Note 5 hands free text and talk?

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The Note replaces a Moto X which had the Moto Assist that would know when I was driving and read text back to me. I could also use the launch phrase and it would dial and set the speaker phone to activate.

Can I replicate this functionality with the Note with installed apps or suggest one that could do these tasks.

I tried using Google Now to auto dial but it still requires me to hit the speaker phone after the call is initiated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried S Voice?

I hope you get more replies to this thread because I just tried setting mine up that way, I too like the idea of my text messages being read to me and other hands off operations. I went to accessibility, direct access, and turned it on and turned on the voice assistant feature. It read my texts as they came in, but I couldn't command her to do anything for me, so that wouldn't be what you're looking for. Also, with the screen off I wasn't getting texts read to me, which is something I'd like for when I'm working out and can't look at my screen right away.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I found a solution for you for having the calls be on speaker phone...

Set up your S Voice settings and set up a wake-up command. Turn on the "wake up in secured lock" feature, so that you can use your command even while the screen is off. Also, turn on "auto-start speakerphone" so that your calls that you tell it to make will automatically be with the speaker on. :)

tripjnj

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I've disabled S-Voice and mainly use Google Now. I was finding that S-Voice was very slow to respond after launching and I don't at all care for the voice of S-Voice. I installed the app Commandr which is a wrapper for Google Now and has options to read texts out loud among other thing. It works, sort of. I'll say "Unread Messages" and it will read my new texts out loud. However, it will also do a good search for "Unread Messages" which opens up new windows. The app has not been updated since May and seems to be conflicting with certain Google Now functions.
In other similar threads here and elsewhere I see people recommending an app called Agent. I may give this a try as it appears to have a free trial period.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for offering some options. Actually the Samsung rep at Best Buy advised me to stick with Google Now instead of S-Voice so I've never tried it.

I've give it a shot and see how well it works. I'm happy with all these other Google functions so didn't want to use both S-Voice and Google.

I would say this is the major problem for me with the Note coming from the Moto X. Everything else about there phone I'm all on board. I'll give the other apps a shot as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I like S-Voice better, I've used S-Voice and Google Now both.

S-Voice can wake the phone from a locked screen and seems to understand better than Google Now for me.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have used the app ReadittomePro by Rob J on my Note 3 and now on my Note 5. It reads messages and will allow you to reply. Pretty customized too. Works very well for me. I use Google Now if I want to initiate a text message as Read it to me doesn't do that part.

anon(2947110)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Im new to samsung. How does this s-voice work? My phone is off, everytime I say wake up samsung nothing happens. Is it supposed to wake up my screen with my voice? What else features does it have?

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Im new to samsung. How does this s-voice work? My phone is off, everytime I say wake up samsung nothing happens. Is it supposed to wake up my screen with my voice? What else features does it have?

Did you record the wake up command and have the secure lock wake up turned on? It will do anything, set an appointment make a call, do a text, search, and more. Here is the set up page and examples of what it will do.

Attachments

• 1444096110259.jpg
    1444096110259.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1444096118815.jpg
    1444096118815.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1444096130384.jpg
    1444096130384.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1444096139564.jpg
    1444096139564.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 44

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I use 'Ok google' and just say 'call my wife' and it works like a charm. Since 2 days ago you can now say 'call my wife in speakerphone' to automatically activate the speakerphone.

If you havent setup who (contact) your wife is, then Google will help you set up for the first time.

tripjnj

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I have used the app ReadittomePro by Rob J on my Note 3 and now on my Note 5. It reads messages and will allow you to reply. Pretty customized too. Works very well for me. I use Google Now if I want to initiate a text message as Read it to me doesn't do that part.

Do you have it set for Bluetooth? Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly, but when I set "Read: SMS" and "When: Bluetooth" it still just starts reading a text right over speakerphone even when not connected to any bluetooth device/car. Was a bit embarrassing as I was in a meeting at the office and a text from a friend came and just started playing through speakerphone.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I use 'Ok google' and just say 'call my wife' and it works like a charm. Since 2 days ago you can now say 'call my wife in speakerphone' to automatically activate the speakerphone.

If you havent setup who (contact) your wife is, then Google will help you set up for the first time.

Does this work to call other people's wives if you don't have one of your own :-X

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Does this work to call other people's wives if you don't have one of your own :-X

You could assign other people's wife nick name and call them. In fact Google is not going to verify if the contact you chose is actually your wife ;)

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Do you have it set for Bluetooth? Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly, but when I set "Read: SMS" and "When: Bluetooth" it still just starts reading a text right over speakerphone even when not connected to any bluetooth device/car. Was a bit embarrassing as I was in a meeting at the office and a text from a friend came and just started playing through speakerphone.

Use music stream, or lower music volume, scroll through Contacts, and Apps for the ones you want to initiate conversations with. Sometimes the phone has to be restarted in order for the app to work correctly. It is able to read my Hangout messages just fine. I have emailed the Developer twice to get this bug (having to restart phone) AND the Reply to Commands to work. Haven't heard back and it was NOT fixed in the newest update. There aren't many apps out there that can reply to texts well.

stilwelloklahoma

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I found a solution for you for having the calls be on speaker phone...

Set up your S Voice settings and set up a wake-up command. Turn on the "wake up in secured lock" feature, so that you can use your command even while the screen is off. Also, turn on "auto-start speakerphone" so that your calls that you tell it to make will automatically be with the speaker on. :)
there are a lots of people can not figure out how good is Note 5 , only said iPhone !!!!
i guess they are not smart enough to know Note 5

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Yes, BUT, I always turn off Bluetooth on my phone when I remove my headset. I should write the developer to inquire how to set it to leave on BT and not have it read over speaker. You might want to try writing to him.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman