I use 1 of my 3 VZW Note 5 phones as a wifi-only device and the battery can last more than a week.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I have 3 Verizon Note 5 phones.($269 each, thanks to the $400 off promotion)

I keep one as a wifi-only device(no SIM card inside the phone).

That one has the best battery life(obviously) and can last over 7 days with wifi in the "always on" mode with daily usage of about 30 minutes.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Now we have a baseline of just how much power the cell radio uses. Just wondering if the "screen on" time is much lower since it's not used as much.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Every radio stack uses power. the more you have running the greater the draw.. Cellular, BT, GPS, NFC, WiFi.

Cheers,
BR.
RIP N7

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Now we have a baseline of just how much power the cell radio uses. Just wondering if the "screen on" time is much lower since it's not used as much.

I must be missing something. The OP's 210 minutes (per week) are less than the 5 hrs SOT I'm getting, running full tilt, hard use, 4G LTE and high speed wifi with current Note 5 phone. I charge twice a day. Batteries do degrade under hard use, I'm on my fourth Note 5, under warranty. This is the best of the four phones. I frankly don't view his use as a baseline. 😏

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is about right. I use a Note 4 on WiFi sometimes without a sim card in it and the battery will often last 5-6 days. I have an iPhone 6S with no sim in it and it easily lasts 6-7 days. My old iPad Mini 2 will last a full month with no sim in it.

The problem is with all of these is that notifications will often be delayed for sometimes a day and maybe longer. Sometimes I will hear constant dinging as notifications come in all at once. I'll look to see what they are and they are notifications that came in on an activated phone the day or two before.

On my Note 5 that I bought in January and use everyday with a sim in it. I get 1-2 days standby with 1-2 hours screen time. I get more screen time on my S7 Edge for some reason. The Note 5 has a problem with run away processes sometimes that will easily burn through 30-40% battery in an hour or two if I don't catch it in time. I have the same app that I know is the problem running on the S7 Edge and it never drains the battery. I don't think I've ever gotten more then 2 hrs screen time on the Note 5. It's about the equivalent to what I get on my Note 4/Note Edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci