Alternative email app?

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the stock email app for my work email. Just wondering what else others are using out there?

For some reason it seems I can't type as well in it, like it doesn't auto correct as normal. Maybe it's me but it seems that way.

Posted via the Android Central App

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Why not Gmail? I use that one to check all my other email too (Yahoo, corporate, etc). Push notifications, email alerts from selected labels, the whole bit. I haven't seen another email client that offers anything Gmail doesn't.

Perhaps less compelling if you don't already use Gmail. LOL It's hard for me to consider switching because I've lived in Gmail as my primary environment for 10 years now. I have a couple dozen labels and hundreds of filters. Do any other email apps support those? Because stuff just piling up in an inbox is a no-go.

That said, there are things I'd love to do that Gmail doesn't allow. I'd love much more formatting (even just italics would be great) and label management options. Do other apps to do that better? I'm really not so dedicated to Gmail that I'm not open to alternatives. Android is all about alternatives. :)

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
@metropolitim:
You should check out AquaMail. It's very configurable, many options and should do everything you need. Loads of color options, dark themes, etc. IMHO the best general-purpose email client available. Fast, stable, secure, and well supported.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail&token=6M8n5vRc

K-9 and Maildroid are also good:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...re/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&token=2l4jWkw7
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=com.maildroid&token=SuorC0Nz

I cannot recommend BlueMail or TypeMail due to serious security concerns. Please, see this for details:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7051405

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I've always stuck with the android app and GMail because, supposedly their Push protocol is less battery intensive than ActiveSync, and definitely better than periodic checks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I've always stuck with the android app and GMail because, supposedly their Push protocol is less battery intensive than ActiveSync, and definitely better than periodic checks.
Actually, the IMAP_IDLE command used for Push by most IMAP services is very easy on the battery, contrary to popular belief. Any of the Push systems is better than periodic checks.

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Actually, the IMAP_IDLE command used for Push by most IMAP services is very easy on the battery, contrary to popular belief. Any of the Push systems is better than periodic checks.

True, but then you have Contacts, Calendar, Tasks etc, which do not benefit from an IDLE feature in their protocol.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
But if you use Gmail contacts and stuff, they sync separately from email service, so it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm missing your point..

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
But if you use Gmail contacts and stuff, they sync separately from email service, so it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm missing your point..

Maybe it's my assumption, but multiple processes checking gmail would seem to use more battery than just 1.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Maybe it's my assumption, but multiple processes checking gmail would seem to use more battery than just 1.

Are you saying that using the Gmail app is more efficient than using a separate app such as AquaMail or K-9? Configured equally, any difference would be miniscule, totally insignificant. I'd bet on AquaMail being the stingiest.

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Are you saying that using the Gmail app is more efficient than using a separate app such as AquaMail or K-9? Configured equally, any difference would be miniscule, totally insignificant. I'd bet on AquaMail being the stingiest.

Maybe it is apples to apples now, but when I was using the non native app a few years ago (moxier, k9, TouchDown) the consensus on many forums was that the native gmail app was much easier on the battery due to its proprietary push protocol. Maybe all the gmail compatible apps now use the same protocol.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Why not Gmail? I use that one to check all my other email too (Yahoo, corporate, etc). Push notifications, email alerts from selected labels, the whole bit. I haven't seen another email client that offers anything Gmail doesn't.

Perhaps less compelling if you don't already use Gmail. LOL It's hard for me to consider switching because I've lived in Gmail as my primary environment for 10 years now. I have a couple dozen labels and hundreds of filters. Do any other email apps support those? Because stuff just piling up in an inbox is a no-go.

That said, there are things I'd love to do that Gmail doesn't allow. I'd love much more formatting (even just italics would be great) and label management options. Do other apps to do that better? I'm really not so dedicated to Gmail that I'm not open to alternatives. Android is all about alternatives. :)

Ok, I use Gmail for one of our apps accounts, then I have another account we use outlook on desktop and the native app for that one. Can you use Gmail for an email that isn't Google apps?

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I use Nine Folders for my exchange email from work,, and the gmail app for my personal email, Nine doesn't work with GMail.