receiving videos from iPhone's

noteiii007

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
When someone sends me a video from iphone it looks horrible. However when iPhone sends to iPhone it looks great. Any solution to this? Creates a problem when family members have iPhone's and send videos and when I get it, it looks bad.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I took a quick movie on my 6S+ at 60fps and sent it to my Note 5 via text, via Gmail.
Via Text - shows as a .mov and plays at 30fps with really reduced quality
Via Gmail - shows as a .mov and plays at 30fps with really reduced quality
iOS Movie.jpg

It's not the carrier, it's iOS. Text went via Carrier, eMail went out via ISP, iTunes via hardwired to laptop.
If I send the same movie to my iPad via iMessage, it shows up as a 60fps video in high quality.
If I upload it to iTunes and send it via laptop, I get the full 60fps.

Hope I am missing a setting somewhere.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
That's the advantage of imessage. Photos and videos go through Apple servers so the carriers can't touch them and they keep their original quality. The compression happens in the message app before the carriers even touch it so it's Android allowing the carriers to set these parameters on the devices. You and the recipients may have to use a 3rd party MMS app so compression doesn't destroy the photos or videos.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
When someone sends me a video from iphone it looks horrible. However when iPhone sends to iPhone it looks great. Any solution to this? Creates a problem when family members have iPhone's and send videos and when I get it, it looks bad.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes, this is due to carrier imposed SMS file size restrictions. iMessage bypasses carriers completely so two or more iMessage users are able to send high resolution pics/gifs and videos to each other without the terrible compression that happens with SMS. This is one of the features that makes iMessage really shine IMO and is a big reason why I can't completely abandon my iPhone. I did a pilot with the Note 5, and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but now that I know how wonderful iMessage is I don't want to go without it. Some carriers, like T-Mo, are implementing RCS or "rich" SMS messaging that will allow for higher quality pics and videos to be sent over SMS but we aren't there yet. Larger carriers like Verizon and AT&T haven't given any indication that they plan to roll out RCS support anytime soon. So for now, iMessage still wins the day with regard to messaging IMO. As others have said, you'll have to ask your friends and family to use other means like email or 3rd party messaging apps to send content if you don't want it compressed. Sometimes the content won't be delivered at all and you'll get an error message in the text thread.

rpwalton

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
The easy fix is to use email...
My wife and daughter know not to send me videos by text...
In essence Apple is simply bypassing the carriers in order to maintain quality.

noteiii007

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The easy fix is to use email...
My wife and daughter know not to send me videos by text...
In essence Apple is simply bypassing the carriers in order to maintain quality.
Easier said then done when in a group message with teenage daughters and wife and asking them to send the video and 100 photos of selfie they shared with each other and send them via email. I'll never get them. :(

All my wife says to them on her iPhone is "airdrop" the photos and videos you took and within secs she has them.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Easier said then done when in a group message with teenage daughters and wife and asking them to send the video and 100 photos of selfie they shared with each other and send them via email. I'll never get them. :(

All my wife says to them on her iPhone is "airdrop" the photos and videos you took and within secs she has them.

You could always just get an iPhone ;)

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is due to carrier imposed SMS file size restrictions. iMessage bypasses carriers completely so two or more iMessage users are able to send high resolution pics/gifs and videos to each other without the terrible compression that happens with SMS. This is one of the features that makes iMessage really shine IMO and is a big reason why I can't completely abandon my iPhone. I did a pilot with the Note 5, and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but now that I know how wonderful iMessage is I don't want to go without it. Some carriers, like T-Mo, are implementing RCS or "rich" SMS messaging that will allow for higher quality pics and videos to be sent over SMS but we aren't there yet. Larger carriers like Verizon and AT&T haven't given any indication that they plan to roll out RCS support anytime soon. So for now, iMessage still wins the day with regard to messaging IMO. As others have said, you'll have to ask your friends and family to use other means like email or 3rd party messaging apps to send content if you don't want it compressed. Sometimes the content won't be delivered at all and you'll get an error message in the text thread.

Great summary. I prefer Android, but iMessage and Facetime are well implemented on iOS.

rpwalton

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I understand... I'm in the same boat.
Actually made me think about getting an iPhone, but weighing that issue against everything else I like about my Note5 it was an easy decision...
I guess there had to be SOMETHING negative about this phone.

The Android market is so huge, I would think somebody would came up with a solution for this issue....
Apple could sell a lot of apps for this.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I took a quick movie on my 6S+ at 60fps and sent it to my Note 5 via text, via Gmail.
Via Text - shows as a .mov and plays at 30fps with really reduced quality
Via Gmail - shows as a .mov and plays at 30fps with really reduced quality
View attachment 202048

It's not the carrier, it's iOS. Text went via Carrier, eMail went out via ISP, iTunes via hardwired to laptop.
If I send the same movie to my iPad via iMessage, it shows up as a 60fps video in high quality.
If I upload it to iTunes and send it via laptop, I get the full 60fps.

Hope I am missing a setting somewhere.

Yes the carrier has Apple use iOS to dumb down the video. Videos sent via text messages are sent via the MMS protocol which cannot handle HUGE files like HD video -- nor do the carriers want this. Therefore it gets cramped down a ton in quality and sent. When a video is sent via iMessage is has nothing to do with this MMS protocol or the carrier since it is sending via Apple's servers (almost like you're uploading to YouTube) and then sent -- therefore the quality isn't lost.

iMessage is another service just like Whatsapp and stuff like that. The convenient part is it is just built into the OS so iPhone to iPhone can do it without any other software needed.

Elsadat

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
I'm new here and I don't mean to question anyone's knowledge but I think many of you are incorrect. Most of my family is on Verizon but some are Sprint and at&t. I have tried every itteration of sending the same video and different videos from iPhone to Android and back using sms MMS iMessage. It is not carrier imposed. Why can I send to another Android user with no loss of quality why can I send to iPhone from Android with no loss in quality but sending from iPhone to Android makes for a poor video. As a former iPhone user now a pixel 3xl user I am sure it's Apple. I agree with many of you that iMessage is great and while there are other good message apps nothing seems to work as well or look as good as iMessage but this problem is absolutely Apple caused. BTW my son works for Verizon and the problem also exists with internal corporate accounts. Think about it why would carriers limit iPhone to Android over sms/MMS but not Android to Android over the same. Just my take on this.