Long Time Windows Phone User Coming Back With Note 5

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
As much as it pains me, I think the time is right to come back to Android from my beloved Windows Phone. I've been testing a Note 5 all weekend long and I am quite impressed. I am just about "all in" with the Microsoft Ecosystem and quite surprised how well it is working. Even Cortana's abilities on Android have far exceeded what I was expecting. The performance of the Note 5 has blown me away as well. Even coming from the Lumia ICON, the Camera has impressed me.

But I do have a few questions...

I am all in with Outlook.com for my email/calendar/contacts. And I use the Outlook app and like it a lot. But when it comes to some interoperability, I am running into some kinks. I am using Hangouts for my SMS but it doesn't seem to see the Outlook.com contacts. My temporary fix was to export them into G-Mail and bam, they showed up. Can I get Hangouts to look at the Outlook contacts only? And if not, can I keep a continuous syncing with Outlook/G-Mail contacts?

Side note...I am using the Sunrise Calendar and really like it...the widget is much better than the Outlook widget.

As mentioned, Cortana on Android is far better than expected. And Cortana does show my upcoming events from my Outlook.com calendar. But if I ask her what is on my agenda, I am guessing it pulls from the system calendar and nothing is there. Anyway around this? Perhaps just part of the Cortana Beta?

Can I sync Facebook profile pictures with my contacts?

Any photo gallery app suggestions, especially ones that connect to OneDrive?

I think that is all of the questions I have right now...thanks in advance! :)

Fenstra

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I am going though the same thing with Moto X Pure.

I am still having trouble with my contacts but Sunrise is pretty awesome.

I was able to just sync my photos from the Onedrive app.

If you have discovered anything more I would love to hear about it.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am going though the same thing with Moto X Pure.

I am still having trouble with my contacts but Sunrise is pretty awesome.

I was able to just sync my photos from the Onedrive app.

If you have discovered anything more I would love to hear about it.

Question about Sunrise. Do you still sync Outlook Calendar via the Outlook app or turn it off and let Sunrise do the work?

Posted via the Android Central App

Fenstra

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm letting Sunrise do all the work. I finally broke down last night and exported my outlook contacts to Gmail..... But at least they are on my phone now!

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm letting Sunrise do all the work. I finally broke down last night and exported my outlook contacts to Gmail..... But at least they are on my phone now!

I just simply turned off notifications in the OUTLOOK app for calendar but both appear to sync but Sunrise is my Default Calendar.

Yeah, I had to import my Outlook Contacts back into GMAIL to make sure my SMS was updated. Still haven't settled on a default SMS client. I forgot how much "choice" we had on Android.

I know Cortana will SHOW you your agenda in a "Card" but if you ask her what is on your agenda for the day, she apparently looks to the GMAIL Calendar, which will show empty. I am sure a fix is coming.

I am still ALL IN with Microsoft Services and I plan on using the BAND 2 with this phone. Beyond the few quirks with contacts and calendars, it hasn't been a bad move. Though Windows Phone is beloved and I feel a little guilt for leaving it but it was just needed.

Fenstra

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I completely understand the guilt.... I feel so bad for leaving because I really liked it but such is life.

Next Lock screen which is by Microsoft is awesome.

I hope they end up coming out with a dialer (as rumored).

I am also having issues with what SMS to use. I downloaded GOPro but just thought it was way more than I needed so I with with Textra and it's fine. I really like the idea of this Hello SMS I keep reading about but I can't ever find it on the store......

Let me know what you end up doing with your pictures and if you find any other Microsoft goodies. I too am staying with all their services!

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand the guilt.... I feel so bad for leaving because I really liked it but such is life.

Next Lock screen which is by Microsoft is awesome.

I hope they end up coming out with a dialer (as rumored).

I am also having issues with what SMS to use. I downloaded GOPro but just thought it was way more than I needed so I with with Textra and it's fine. I really like the idea of this Hello SMS I keep reading about but I can't ever find it on the store......

Let me know what you end up doing with your pictures and if you find any other Microsoft goodies. I too am staying with all their services!

One thing I do miss from Windows 10 Mobile is the photos app...it would combine camera photos and OneDrive Photos (where I do store and keep photos I move off of phone). I would love a gallery app that will show phone and OneDrive photos all in one. With I could add OneDrive to the stock gallery app.

I've settled on Textra...went between Hangouts and Google Messenger App. I was kind of liking the Skype/SMS direction Windows Phone was taking but oh well.

I tried Next Lock screen but didn't play with it enough before switching back...I was thinking the fingerprint reader wasn't working correctly. I may try again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek