Smart Switch Note 5

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Just decided to use Smart Switch. Anyone else use it? and most important....does it back up SMS/MMS? All my work texts are very important, I often have the need to go back to reference pictures and text.

So with that said, does it back up ALL texts, including those that contain an MMS picture?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has a back up on your phone that is automatic and backs up all texts. Top choice..

Attachments

• 1446637066981.jpg
    1446637066981.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 74

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Here is what you can choose to back up. Now it will only back up while on WiFi, so if you are like me, you have to turn WiFi on and press the back up now button. I stay on data almost all the time.

Attachments

• 1446638302854.jpg
    1446638302854.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 49

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It does back up sms.

If photos are important to you and you're using iphone, make sure your photo originals are kept on the phone and not icloud. I almost lost a lot of photos because of this. I ended up downloading all originals to iPhone then backing up to Google photos then syncing my Note 5 to Google photos.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
As long as your carrier hasn't removed it. There is also a Find My Mobile that is Samsung and you can lock and unlock your phone from the web, change the PW, etc. Verizon though, seems to have removed it.

I don't have the options to pick what I want backed up. 😕

BB Markk

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Got my Note 5 yesterday.

Can't get Smart Switch to update from my Galaxy S4. Tried a lot with Samsung Tech Chat.

Headed to a "Samsung Experience" at Best Buy for some help later.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Got my Note 5 yesterday.

Can't get Smart Switch to update from my Galaxy S4. Tried a lot with Samsung Tech Chat.

Headed to a "Samsung Experience" at Best Buy for some help later.

I've never used Smart Switch to change my Samsung phones. I always set up my new phone as a new phone and I would always put things on my SD card I wanted to take to the new phone. Without that option with the Note 5, stuff I didn't have on the cloud, I beamed to the Note 5 from the Note 4.

BB Markk

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I was hoping that it would move apps, as well as settings.

I have moved some pics, and music. Tech had me cut paste from SG4 to desktop, then copy paste to N5.

What exactly did you beam? How are you beaming (NFC, Bluetooth, Wifi)?

Thanks.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You can do that with a computer and smart switch, back up the S4 and then restore that info by hooking up the Note 5 to smart switch. NOW.. That is assuming the S4 can operate on Smart Switch.

There are a couple of options with beaming it. There is quick connect in Lollipop and it uses direct Bluetooth and WiFi direct connection I believe. Then there is Android Beam (what it is called on the Note 5) under "NFC and Payment". I'll post a screenshot.

The above transfer is only for files, etc.

I've not tried the Google backup in a long time, but you can select one of the previous phones you had backed up and synced to Google, when you set up the Note 5.

Like I said, new phone, I always set up as a new phone..especially going from an S4 to a N5. YMMV.

BB Mark

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Am in the middle of trying to beam now.

I suppose worst case, I have to download and reinstall individual apps. There is a list in the play store that I can pick/choose from.

Setting up notifications and prefs again isn't awful, and I would have simply skipped trying to tranfer had I known what it was going to entail.

Smart Swtich can't backup my SG4. Says too much data on the phone.
I'll use it to backup the Note once established.

Kelly - I used to play Friday morning basketball at school with a Kelly Kearns that worked with my wife at Merck. He moved. Any chance it's randomly you?

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I used smart switch when I got the Note5 and it transferred my sms/mms/pictures etc beautifully... it helped install the same apps from ios to android and if they weren't available gave suggestions on which apps might be similar... pretty pain free experience...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae