Note 5 embarrassed me today - easy way to silence all?

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I was in a meeting today, and had been taking a few notes with my Note 5, feeling pretty smug at my new high-tech device. But the topic changed to something that didn't affect me and I was absent mindedly paging through my apps. I accidentally opened Waze and it spoke right up and started to (loudly) give me directions home. I was embarrassed. I had put my phone on vibrate before going into the meeting, but the media sound volume was still on loud. I know this is the way Android works, but my last phone was an iPhone 5s (which uses a simple mechanical switch to silence the phone entirely, notifications and media) and I had gotten out of the habit of going into the settings and silencing the media volume before a meeting.

I was so embarrassed (professional level meeting) that I left planning to head straight for the T-Mobile store after work and trade for a new iPhone and go back to taking notes in my Franklin Planner. I can't believe there is not a way, without going into settings, to make sure the phone isn't going to make a peep when I need it to be absolutely silent.

Am I missing something? Is there a simple solution?

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Most Samsung devices allow you to pull down the notification screen from the top and mute the phone right there.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Waze doesn't talk when it first starts up. Even when it asks if you want to go home, it has a 10 second delay before it automatically selects ok, and then it has a delay while it finds a route, and then there is another delay after that.

You had to leave waze open for 20+ seconds before it actually talks to you.

When you put your phone on vibrate it automatically changes the notifications, ringer, etc. Everything except media volume.

This is simply user error, on multiple fronts(opening the app, and then having it open long enough to actually give you directions)

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Tasker. On Mondays and Tuesdays when I'm in the office, my phone is automatically silenced at 8 am. Tasker turns the sounds back on at 16:15.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't mute the media volume though.

That's true. Games are the same way. I have a game that I won't play anywhere but home, the ad's come up and even though the app is on silent, the ads are NOT silent.

An app or even a ring tone or notification, unless it's really embarrassing, is nothing to be embarrassed about. It happens to everyone.

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
That's true. Games are the same way. I have a game that I won't play anywhere but home, the ad's come up and even though the app is on silent, the ads are NOT silent.

You should consider not supporting developers that force intrusive ads into their games, as that's an issue for whomever made the game.

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
And for those of you guys having problems. You are aware you can simply press your volume button, click the gear icon on the volume popup(settings), and then it will bring up your ringer, media, notifications, and system volume sliders. Pretty fast and easy to change your volume levels.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You should consider not supporting developers that force intrusive ads into their games, as that's an issue for whomever made the game.

Good point. A review would let others know as well.

And for those of you guys having problems. You are aware you can simply press your volume button, click the gear icon on the volume popup(settings), and then it will bring up your ringer, media, notifications, and system volume sliders. Pretty fast and easy to change your volume levels.

Mine's on complete silence. I get notifications on my Gear 2 Neo watch in a vibration and if it's important I can continue on my phone. My work has a policy. Only a few people think they're above it. I laugh when they're in a meeting and their phone starts ringing some song. Loudly.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
this is what i do. Miss profiles of blackberry, but...whatevs.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you get some Samsung techtiles, install the app, you can set up profiles.

After you progress the techtile, you can switch the profiles with scanning NFC, or manually.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If you get some Samsung techtiles, install the app, you can set up profiles.

After you progress the techtile, you can switch the profiles with scanning NFC, or manually.

really!!! I found some at amazon, but only good for note 1 &2...are you using them with your 5? I'd try it. I sued the NFC patches with my blackberry for automatic profile switching. I really thought I was Mrs. Bada$$.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
really!!! I found some at amazon, but only good for note 1 &2...are you using them with your 5? I'd try it. I sued the NFC patches with my blackberry for automatic profile switching. I really thought I was Mrs. Bada$$.

I haven't set any up yet, let me go try one right now. I have an old one by my back door to turn off and on things on leaving and coming home.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
this is what i do. Miss profiles of blackberry, but...whatevs.

yeah on my passport i just pull down from the top and switch from normal to silent by tapping the left of the long button. if you push the meaty part of the long button it takes you into sound profiles and opens a window.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Forgot to post.. The old techtiles I have are not compatible with this device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I was in a meeting today, and had been taking a few notes with my Note 5, feeling pretty smug at my new high-tech device. But the topic changed to something that didn't affect me and I was absent mindedly paging through my apps. I accidentally opened Waze and it spoke right up and started to (loudly) give me directions home. I was embarrassed. I had put my phone on vibrate before going into the meeting, but the media sound volume was still on loud. I know this is the way Android works, but my last phone was an iPhone 5s (which uses a simple mechanical switch to silence the phone entirely, notifications and media) and I had gotten out of the habit of going into the settings and silencing the media volume before a meeting.

I was so embarrassed (professional level meeting) that I left planning to head straight for the T-Mobile store after work and trade for a new iPhone and go back to taking notes in my Franklin Planner. I can't believe there is not a way, without going into settings, to make sure the phone isn't going to make a peep when I need it to be absolutely silent.

Am I missing something? Is there a simple solution?

Pay attention during the meeting? Lol but seriously, if you are in a high level meeting, even if it doesn't pertain to you shouldn't you at least be somewhat paying attention? lol

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Pay attention during the meeting? Lol but seriously, if you are in a high level meeting, even if it doesn't pertain to you shouldn't you at least be somewhat paying attention? lol

One of the managers in my office stopped using his iPad and instead uses an old fashioned pen and notebook because people didn't think he was paying attention in meetings.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781