Cutting down sim card...

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife is getting a Note 5, and she is coming from a GS4. The sim cards aren't the same size, of course, so I was thinking about cutting her current card down to make it fit.

I know, the stores can get me a new sim card, but we are both on unlimited data, and our local VAR keeps saying that if he makes me a new sim card that we'll lose our unlimited data plan.

So I was doing some reading on cutting sim cards and discovered that the micro is just a hair thicker than the nano. Has anyone cut down their sim card to put into a Note 5? Or should I keep trying to find a store that'll make me a new sim card?

Thanks for your time!

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe there is an inexpensive tool you can purchase that will properly punch out the smaller size from the older larger SIM card.

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I think I should clarify: I'm not worried about cutting the card. I work in a shop and we have gobs of tools that'll do just what I want. I was concerned about the thickness of the card, not the width and height. The micro sim is slightly thicker than the nano, and I was wanting to know if the thickness would pose any problem.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would try another store. I have seen people say certain ones will do what you are saying. I don't remember if the Verizon corporate stores are the ones that are cooperative or the other Verizon stores.

Now my TMO SIM is the same thickness. Their SIM cards are a one size fits all, 3 in one. I switch between my Nexus 5 and Note 5 without a problem.

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would try another store. I have seen people say certain ones will do what you are saying. I don't remember if the Verizon corporate stores are the ones that are cooperative or the other Verizon stores.

Now my TMO SIM is the same thickness. Their SIM cards are a one size fits all, 3 in one. I switch between my Nexus 5 and Note 5 without a problem.

Yes, the 3-in-1 cards that are shipped now can be used in any phone, no problem. Wish they had started out with those and just skipped the micro sim altogether!

It is unfortunate that I live in an area that has so few stores. There is one VAR that is close by, and any other store is in the "Let's plan a day and go that way" direction. There's a corporate store, but according to the slickdeals mega thread they may try to take me off of unlimited. However... since VZW is allowing you to keep your UDP now I may at least call them to make sure.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I cut the micro sim from my Note 3 and had no problems with the thickness. VZW sim, if that makes a difference.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I cut the micro sim from my Note 3 and had no problems with the thickness. VZW sim, if that makes a difference.

Thanks! I've read a few horror stories, but none dealing with the Note 5. Just doing my due diligence!

Keegen

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I cut down my Note 2 Sim card. It was just a little on the thick side. I used a fine sandpaper to thin it a little and it works fine.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I activate new phones most every day. The new SIMs come on a credit card size piece of cardboard like material. All the standard SIM sizes are on it and you just punch out down to whatever size you need. Virtually everything I get in now is the nano size. So yes, one size does fit all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34