Up for an Upgrade, Stuck between the 6S and Note 5, have questions on the Note 5

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
  1. How is the battery life for the Note 5? Righ now using a Windows Phone and battery life lasts at least a day, I am talking from 7-8 am until 10-11 pm. Can the Note 5 do that?
  2. Is the RAM performance issues bothering anyone here? They didn't seem bad when I was messing with the floor model at Verizon. But anyoen have issues with it over time?
  3. Did the absence of removable storage or removable battery ever bother you?
  4. Headphone, speaker and bluetooth audio quality, how are they?
  5. Finally, how is the fingerprint scanner? Fast?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
  1. How is the battery life for the Note 5? Righ now using a Windows Phone and battery life lasts at least a day, I am talking from 7-8 am until 10-11 pm. Can the Note 5 do that?
  2. Is the RAM performance issues bothering anyone here? They didn't seem bad when I was messing with the floor model at Verizon. But anyoen have issues with it over time?

1. Decent not as good as the 6S+

2. Not an issue to me.

3. Audio quality is good, if you use Poweramp the quality becomes superb.

4. Fast, but not as fast nor as accurate as the 6S+

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Using the 6S+ and the Note 5.
The 6S+ is a bit better but once I disabled all the carrier crap (AT&T) I get a day plus out of both phones. My normal workday is 6am - 5pm give or take an hour and I also browse news / read on the Note 5 with 40% battery by end of day. Using GSam Pro to identify battery pigs.
Not having any RAM issues at all on the Note 5.
No mSD did at first but I bought the 64gb model and changed my habits to use Dropbox and Drive. Working out well so far. Tried the same on the 6S+ side; iCloud didn't work out well and use Dropbox / Drive on that side too.
Headphone, Speaker, BT working well on both. I prefer the Note 5 for music - better options.
On both the fingerprint scanner is good and I use wherever possible. Both are great.

For me, my day to day phone ended up being the Note 5. The 6S+ has too many issues that I had to develop work-arounds for. Just my opinion. Having been using both since device launch.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
If you will find uses of the S-pen get the note. If not get the iPhone. iPhone has better battery life and better finger print scanner. Also fingerprint functionality is better. Keyboard is way better too.
Note 5 is a better piece of hardware IMO. Quite smaller with smaller bezels than the iPhone.
My wife has the iPhone 6 plus. (which I used for almost a year) so I have used both. You would have to try both to see how you'd feel. Obviously on a note 5 forum you'll receive feedback favouring the note. Try asking the same question on iMore.

Also have to consider the additional cost of the iPhone, and time spent getting the note 5 to last a day. Disabling apps and what not.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Using the 6S+ and the Note 5.
The 6S+ is a bit better but once I disabled all the carrier crap (AT&T) I get a day plus out of both phones. My normal workday is 6am - 5pm give or take an hour and I also browse news / read on the Note 5 with 40% battery by end of day. Using GSam Pro to identify battery pigs.
Not having any RAM issues at all on the Note 5.
No mSD did at first but I bought the 64gb model and changed my habits to use Dropbox and Drive. Working out well so far. Tried the same on the 6S+ side; iCloud didn't work out well and use Dropbox / Drive on that side too.
Headphone, Speaker, BT working well on both. I prefer the Note 5 for music - better options.
On both the fingerprint scanner is good and I use wherever possible. Both are great.

For me, my day to day phone ended up being the Note 5. The 6S+ has too many issues that I had to develop work-arounds for. Just my opinion. Having been using both since device launch.

I did changed my habit when the 64gb is not available in my country. Amazed at how I'm able to survive with just 32gb of storage due to saving things up in the cloud.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

What has been your issues with the iPhone?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you will find uses of the S-pen get the note. If not get the iPhone. iPhone has better battery life and better finger print scanner. Also fingerprint functionality is better. Keyboard is way better too.
I actually distaste the iPhone keyboard. One of the low points of iOS for me personally. Android has haptic feedback which I love on touch screen keyboards. Windows Phone has an excellent keyboard overall. I definitely have uses for the S Pen, mainly for annotating PDFs, which coincidently is becoming more of a need lately in college as pdfs are very commonly emailed, sent out or used as assignments.
Note 5 is a better piece of hardware IMO. Quite smaller with smaller bezels than the iPhone.
Reason why this comparison is between the Note 5 and 6s and not the 6S plus. The 6S plus feels unwieldy in comparison to the Note 5. And the Note 5 is the only Android phone I really like outside of the S6 which has worse battery life.

Also have to consider the additional cost of the iPhone, and time spent getting the note 5 to last a day. Disabling apps and what not.
What additional cost of the iPhone? the Note 5 is on of the most expensive devices on Verizon. And I disable apps regardless on Android, as carrier bloatware and all the Google apps are not my cup of tea. I use Microsoft services exclusively. have been trying out Cortana on my old Android phone and it is awesome.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thought you were comparing the 6s plus to the note. I'm not sure how battery would be on the reg 6s. But my comparison is subjective. I find the iPhone experience easy and less time consuming. Feel the note I had to spend time disabling a bunch of bloat and apps would unexpectedly drain and so on. I really have no patience for that. But I still love the note. I will probably get the next iphone and keep the note 5 around still.
I have more annoying things to say about the note than the iPhone. But my uses/likes could be quite different than your uses/likes.

I feel the note is the most capable phone but comes with weird annoyances. Where the iPhone is pretty basic but as cliché as it is it really just worked for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax