Best Android Keyboard?

jayedandy

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I like SwiftKey keyboard. I have a beta version that I got from Mobilism... (Rooted Note 4) I can change my keyboard background theme, and the iphone emoji look really good on it. The autocorrect is pretty decent once you use it for a few days, and make sure you let it learn your language! I let it use my email and texting for my vocabulary. Oh, and I created a free account, I'm the type to keep trying new ROMs and resetting my phone, so it's great to log in and have everything be the same.

RK_BB

Trusted Member
Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I use Swiftkey as well. A couple days ago I installed the Blackberry keyboard just for the heck of it. I liked the swiping up on the word predictions but it doesn't have swipe. It also doesn't have any customization capabilities so I deleted it and am sticking to Swiftkey.
Hi there! I love the Blackberry keyboard. Where did you download it from? I can't find it on play store.

RK_BB

Trusted Member
Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
It's not in the Playstore. You have to download the APK. One or two pages back someone posted the file in this thread.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5
Yup! Found it. Thank you....it's pretty cool, I hated losing it when BlackBerry pretty much went obsolete and I had to go Android so that's really cool but now I can't switch input language easily....

Iran Lievanos

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
In all honesty, if you just don't want stock and need something reliable and appealing ( aesthetically) then use Swiftkey.

I am currently using the stock keyboard on marshmallow, but have been a user of swiftkey since their beta days.

The biggest reason I can recommend Swiftkey is because they remember information that could save you ALOT of typing time. This includes whole email addresses and even home streets. It's very convenient. It even integrates with your email and social media in order to learn how you type and what words you use to make their prediction easier and faster.

Icing on the cake is that they have the mostly stock feel. They don't have any crazy themes if you don't want them, and their layout is flexible but simple. Never had a problem with them.

Posted via the Android Central App

ksc6000#AC

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I love Fleksy on my phone. It is seriously amazing and quick and not hard on the battery like SwiftKey is. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it. But I prefer SwiftKey on the tablet because of the split keyboard for landscape mode.

sunglint

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using Swiftkey Neural, which was a pain at first due to aggressive incorrect autocorrect. Finally it got the idea that I type weird stuff all the time (like "stoopidmouthbreather") and we're much happier. For non-swiping keyboards I used to like the hackers keyboard, but with Neural I can have both my numbers row and arrow keys at the bottom, so I'm pretty happy. Interestingly I re-discovered my Galaxy Note II has a pen, and this helps a lot with all kinds of things, swiping included, so much so that I almost dread having to give it up when I upgrade my phone (the NoteII is still rocking, but the 6P looks awful cool.)

epic_user

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I always used used a slide-out hardware keyboard with my first two phones. The screens were simply too small for a usable on-screen keyboard. The first phone I had without a hardware keyboard was the Galaxy Note II. That's because the Samsung keyboard was far superior to a hardware keyboard and I have found nothing yet to equal it.

My new phone is a Nexus 6P for which unfortunately the Samsung keyboard is unavailable. The Google keyboard was its default. The Google keyboard is simply horrible:

* no number row - you must long press one of the keys on the top row to get a digit
* no long press of symbols - you must switch to a symbol layout to get any symbols beyond .,?!
* very imprecise, i.e., it isn't clear where one key ends and the next begins - there are no clear boundaries and trying to type an "s" might easily give you an "x", "a", or "d".

I installed the SwiftKey keyboard after reading that it does support a number row. In many ways it is better than the Samsung keyboard. Some posters have mentioned that it supports a "%" as a long-press key above the "q" key when you have the number row turned on. But it seems also to have problems. I had to turn off the auto-correct and auto-capitalize to maintain my sanity. I don't understand how anyone can use these features. Some people have reported that it lags (i.e., character doesn't appear in text being typed for seconds after it is pressed) on long documents. I haven't seen this problem yet, but if I do it is uninstall for Swiftkey. Others have said that it is a battery hog. I haven't noticed this problem yet either, but if I do, this will also be uninstall for Swiftkey. I wonder if auto-correct and auto-capitalize might be responsible for these problems. I have found the predictive text getting better and better as I use it. The one thing I still prefer about the Samsung keyboard is its precision - when I touched the "m" key, I got an "m" and not a ".", space, or carriage return.

This article is a great resource. If I do find that I have to uninstall SwiftKey (I hope not!), I will return here for suggestions of what to replace it with.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I tried using flesh but for whatever reason it lagged. I got SwiftKey instead and it's great. It's predictions and autocorrect are spot on, as well as the swiping ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

pbickel

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Stock keyboard for me. I have tried about every keyboard on the Play Store and keep going back to stock because it works for me. I would have stayed with Google keyboard however if they added a dedicated number row. I don't understand why they don't. That's another key reason why I'm not switching to iPhone. Why have such a huge screen if my it's not used efficiently with a dedicated number row.
If you go to language type in the Google keyboard settings there is one that is called pc. This gives it a dedicated number row as if it was a computer keyboard.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I always used used a slide-out hardware keyboard with my first two phones. The screens were simply too small for a usable on-screen keyboard. The first phone I had without a hardware keyboard was the Galaxy Note II. That's because the Samsung keyboard was far superior to a hardware keyboard and I have found nothing yet to equal it.

My new phone is a Nexus 6P for which unfortunately the Samsung keyboard is unavailable. The Google keyboard was its default. The Google keyboard is simply horrible:

* no number row - you must long press one of the keys on the top row to get a digit
* no long press of symbols - you must switch to a symbol layout to get any symbols beyond .,?!
* very imprecise, i.e., it isn't clear where one key ends and the next begins - there are no clear boundaries and trying to type an "s" might easily give you an "x", "a", or "d".

You can change the theme in the settings if you don't like the material design theme

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
This is SwiftKey keyboard. No % symbol on Q key
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/24/fa02c5367265666ec768865097a1981b.jpg

Also, where is the option for a number row on top? I can't find it. I agree it is hard to see the symbols. You almost have to memorize them. That means sticking to one kb which I seldom have. I know the Sammy keyboard best. Now if the % key were on the SwiftKey keyboard and I could get a number row in portrait mode I would switch.

Looks to be an outdated version.

Flicked via the BlackBerry Keyboard on my S5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers