Battery advice

gjkiii

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
1) Is it better to use the fast charger or regular charger for longevity purposes?
2) Does it hurt the phone to charge the phone when its still at 70 or 80 percent remaining?

Thank you

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
1. How long are you planning to keep the phone? If it is less than 1-2 years, then it doesn't matter at all.
2. That is better for it than letting it drain below 20%. The ideal state for the device is to remain between 40% and 80% as much as possible. If you get to 70 and want to shallow up to 80 or 90%, no biggie or even top it off - there is very little adverse effect from keeping it more full than not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. As long as the phone is being charged at 1C or less (IOW, if you have a 2300mAh battery, at 2.3 Amps or less), and it has enough ventilation so the battery doesn't get too hot (don't charge it when it's under your pillow), you're fine. "Fast charge" and "Rapid charge" usually only charge at about 0.75C, so there's no problem.

1. I do that if I'm at 70%, am going to be out all day, don't have my power pack charged and won't be near an outlet all day. Otherwise, it's not unsafe, it's just a waste. (If you leave the charger plugged in, the phone will charge at about 97% for a few minutes, over and over, and it doesn't hurt the battery. It just sits there for a few hours, the charge goes down, the charger kicks in, brings it back to full charge, then turns off and waits until it's down to about 97% again.)