Note 5 - Marshamallow when will we get it???

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow update arriving soon...

I'm just looking forward to getting Doze to improve battery life. It's fantastic on my Nexus 6.

Posted via the Android Central App

Agreed. It is awesome on my 6P. Before I got the phone I thought doze would help some but it actually helps a ton :).

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Agreed. It is awesome on my 6P. Before I got the phone I thought doze would help some but it actually helps a ton :).

And I am sure Verizon will disable it...

tinkertron

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Now is this date base on the carrier? I though each carrier will decide the date of actual release, cause they have to build their layout around the actual OS?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Let's hope that's the case. From what little I've read, Doze is supposed to be a good thing, so don't understand why an OEM and then a downstream carrier would want to touch, or interfere with Doze. In particular, why should a carrier try to disable or "fix" something like Doze? Would disabling Doze give a carrier some sort of financial gain or feature edge compared to other carriers?

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Let's hope that's the case. From what little I've read, Doze is supposed to be a good thing, so don't understand why an OEM and then a downstream carrier would want to touch, or interfere with Doze. In particular, why should a carrier try to disable or "fix" something like Doze? Would disabling Doze give a carrier some sort of financial gain or feature edge compared to other carriers?

Verizon would do it out of arrogance. They removed both Samsung pay and MS. OFFICE so it would not surprise me if they tamper with Marshmellow.

tubbz the bull

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow on Note 5

Yay now my phones gonna suck for atleast 2 more updates to fix problems they didnt see

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

What possible reason does Verizon have for pulling a stunt like that? :)

What reason did Verizon have for removing the MS Office suite? This package was part of a settlement agreement between Samsung and Microsoft where Samsung would preload Office on all their phones. By removing office Verizon deprived their customers of the one drive offer. 100GB free storage for 2 years. So I for one will not be surprised if Verizon removes key features. Will they mess with Doze. I don't know but if they do it will not surprise me.

Verizon is the most arrogant of the carriers. They know they have the best coverage and don't care about losing customers. The CFO has so stated in the past. Until the number leaving exceeds 10% of total customers they will not care. At 10% it starts to effect the bottom line to where it is noticeable.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Verizon would do it out of arrogance. They removed both Samsung pay and MS. OFFICE so it would not surprise me if they tamper with Marshmellow.

I have a VZ note 5 and I have and use Samsung pay so I don't know what you mean that Verizon removed it.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

There was a short period of time after the N5 was available on Verizon and when Verizon certified Samsung Pay. For that time VZ customers could not use the SP application. Many people here and elsewhere believed it was related to financial terms between Sammy and VZ but no specific evidence has come forward to my knowledge.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a VZ note 5 and I have and use Samsung pay so I don't know what you mean that Verizon removed it.

Per Verizon Samsung Pay was preloaded on the note 5 and Verizon removed it and MS Office because they "...do not support preloaded apps". That was their response to an FCC complaint I filed.
Please note that the other carriers left the applications on their version of the phone so when the beta test was running people on all the other carriers were able to participate. Verizon did not allow Samsung Pay on their network until a month after the official release by Samsung. Up to that time Verizon was actively blocking the app.

The question is what will Verizon remove from Marshmellow. If Doze is considered a Core Feature by Google, than the OEM and carriers will not be able to mess with it. However there are other features that Verizon may remove. So it is not a matter of if, but rather what will Verizon remove or cripple.

Last edited:

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Marshamallow when will we get it???

I'm with Verizon so probably next April if I'm lucky!

Thats horrible these companies do such a bad job getting us the update that by the time we get it the newest phones are already out and makes a phone like the note line feel ancient. This might be my last note. I might seriously look at the nexus phone in 2016 and see what they bring. My friend has a nexus 6p and its absolutely a dream phone.