I am so confused :(

Bluejayy

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I am an ex iPhone user and decided to join the anroid family. Today I was checking if all my apps are up to date by checking for updates on the Google play store, and all are up to date as no new updates are available on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5. But I also checked after on galaxy app store and I saw my Skype app needs an update! WHAT IS GOING ON. PLUS HELP WITH SOME ANSWERS

Posted via the Android Central App

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I recommend using the Skype app from Google Play. For some reason, there may have been another Skype instance installed via the Samsung store out of the factory. This can be confusing when the same apps are offered from two different app stores.

6.12.0.585 is the version available on Google Play. 6.12.0.587 is the version available on the Samsung store. Don't know why there is a minor difference in the build numbers. In either case I consider Google Play to be my official app source, and if there are any Samsung specific apps for the S Pen then I would get them from the Samsung store since S Pen specific apps made my Samsung are only available in my experience on the Samsung store.

Bluejayy

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I recommend using the Skype app from Google Play. For some reason, there may have been another Skype instance installed via the Samsung store out of the factory. This can be confusing when the same apps are offered from two different app stores.

6.12.0.585 is the version available on Google Play. 6.12.0.587 is the version available on the Samsung store. Don't know why there is a minor difference in the build numbers. In either case I consider Google Play to be my official app source, and if there are any Samsung specific apps for the S Pen then I would get them from the Samsung store since S Pen specific apps made my Samsung are only available in my experience on the Samsung store.

But I only have 1 skype app. Is there even way to download same app twice from galaxy app and also from Google play store?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have the same situation as you. I only have the Skype app installed from Google Play store. It's a good question. I have not tried to download the same app twice but from two different sources.

Not to dismiss your question or concern, but I have zero worries about this situation. To me Google Play is the official app store and source for all apps I use, unless there are some S Pen specific ones only available from Samsung.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
But I only have 1 skype app. Is there even way to download same app twice from galaxy app and also from Google play store?

If you want the version from Google instead see if you can uninstall the one you have. If not, then disable it and install the one from Google.

pbickel

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The reason this also happens is Skype may have certain features available for only those with Samsung Galaxy phones. The different build number from Samsung store may just represent those features or deals that they offer (may be something like 10 free talking minutes) it's really nothing to worry about. Just use Samsung store only for Samsung apps like snote and shealth and Google for everything else.

MaLik Hadi

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site

i have 2 skype apps at a time...and works great...you have to download the other skype via another app store

Bluejayy

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
The reason this also happens is Skype may have certain features available for only those with Samsung Galaxy phones. The different build number from Samsung store may just represent those features or deals that they offer (may be something like 10 free talking minutes) it's really nothing to worry about. Just use Samsung store only for Samsung apps like snote and shealth and Google for everything else.

I think your answer makes sense. I don't care which version of skype is better I just don't want 2 skype in 1 phone. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22