Any reason for difference in download speeds

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I bought 2 Note 5 on Verizon this past weekend. I am just trying to understand why there is a significant difference in the download speed between the two phones (Wifi and Mobile).

Handset A gets half the speed of Handset B. Connected to same WiFi and sitting right next to each other (conducting test together) handset A gets download speed of approx. 10-15Mbps while Handset B gets 30-35 Mbps. Download speeds are significantly different as well.

Additionally similar difference exists on mobile network as well.

Any ideas? Is it just a defective chip or could it be something to do with settings?

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
How did you measure download speeds? If it was an app like Speedtest, make sure both are connecting to the same server to conduct the test. That can have an impact.

From my Platinum Gold Note 5

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
How did you measure download speeds? If it was an app like Speedtest, make sure both are connecting to the same server to conduct the test. That can have an impact.

Thanks for this... It definitely helped.

Now I need to figure out why speeds are fluctuating a lot. I can check speed now and then again in 5 second and the speed can be significantly more or less.

Posted via the Android Central App

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this... It definitely helped.

Now I need to figure out why speeds are fluctuating a lot. I can check speed now and then again in 5 second and the speed can be significantly more or less.

Posted via the Android Central App

Most likely a network issue, or simply network congestion. I really doubt it's a problem with the phone.