Any scientists use note 5 as electronic lab notebook?

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a scientist and I keep an electronic lab notebook. I'm looking to upgrade phones and am wondering if the Note 5 is a good option for keeping a lab notebook. My current system usually involves me taking hand written notes on a notebook and then transcribing them along with data and other information into a Onenote notebook. Having some sort of stylus optimized note taking device seems like a great solution, but I'm not sure if it is really practical.

Anyone out there do this? I'm wondering if it's actually practical. On the one hand, I'm usually listening to music on my phone while I work, so I should have it on me at all times. On the other hand, it's usually in my pocket and I wonder if that will cause me to not use it. I work in a semi-wet lab with biological specimens, so I'm concerned that I won't actually use the device since it will be in my pocket, my hands will be gloved and I'd be slightly concerned about leaving it out on the benchtop.

If any of you have used a galaxy note in a lab, I'd appreciate it if you shared your experiences. It's possible there's a solution out there that I haven't considered.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. One thought (and I am not a scientist so can't answer your question as stated) is that the screen size, while large for a phone, can limit input a bit. I use my note 5 for notes at work, which I love. However, the screen presents some challenge due to how one's hand overlays the edges. Thick cases can add to the challenge as I found with my note 3, particularly at the edge of the device if it's flat on a table. I got a thinner case for my note 5. In the lab case, if you add a protective case, keep that in mind. A tablet would remediate the issue a bit as it has a larger total surface fit your hand and the note taking.

That my phone is always with me is a plus for me in my situation, so the tradeoff is with it for me.

I did look into a paper pad with electronic pen, but was not convinced the technology was there sufficiently, but I do think a lot of students use them.. Maybe the paper would be better in your situation?

I love all of the snote features, including search of handwriting.

Posted via the Android Central App

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to have to agree the screen size does not allowed for much note taking... I do take notes for work but they usually the size of yellow sticky note

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Not a scientist but currently a Chem Eng. Student. I take lots of notes on the note 5 because I really like writing and drawing on this phone. Can do a lot more compared to taking notes on a book. Attached is a sample. But it is a slower process and wastes time. I guess mainly due the screen size. Lots of scrolling and zooming in and out. Using pen and paper is faster in a way. It's not ideal for constant note taking but if it's like taking readings in a lab or a quick note or similar tasks then it's perfect. You can quickly plot graphs and tables on snote and analyze trends as well.

A better and more practical choice for continuous note taking would be a tab. My friend uses a samsung tab that comes with the spen (can't remember the model. It's a year or two old. Not tab A) and a software called Squid (prev. called Papyrus) which offers more or less the same stuff as snote. The larger screen on the tab makes it much easier to write (especially the long study notes we make).

I'm not sure about the touch response in the tab my friend uses but the note 5 responds to touches through the latex gloves we get at our labs. So that's handy.

I don't think any device with a stylus that's currently in the market is waterproof. So you have to be careful and not spill anything on your device.
uploadfromtaptalk1449154224263.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449154270000.jpg

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to have to agree the screen size does not allowed for much note taking... I do take notes for work but they usually the size of yellow sticky note

Yeah although the biggest issue for me is where my hand overlaps the edge of the phone (vs the size of the screen itself.. Which I find OK.. But is small... Notes can fill many virtual pages.. And I think if I were writing many detailed notes worked need larger such as tablet or electronic pen on regular sized paper)

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
It seems like the biggest concern is screen size for note taking. If only they could make some sort of transforming tablet that could fit into my pocket but expand to the size of a notebook when I need it!

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Those our some impressive notes! Thanks for sharing.

Consider checking out a Note 2014 edition. I work in games, which means I'm a professional Note taker for a living :p, its bigger,..like a pad of paper...works great for handwritten notes!

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Fleet manager with a Note 5. I use OneNote and CamScanner. OneNote for notes and CamScanner for pictures. I also use Lecture Notes extensively, it does everything. I also have a Note 10.1-2014.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
That might be a good option. OneNote on a larger tablet like the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2". This one has the S Pen, and the screen size might be large enough.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
2nd that on camscanner .. great application for 'scanning' and storing images (although they do take up a bit of space .. check the file sizes as you go)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech