Removing samsung default keyboard

Tom Dragotta

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I know how to select a different keyboard on my note 5. Problem is that when I select different keyboard (SwiftKey) as default, Samsung default keyboard comes back a couple hours later. This is driving me crazy. Thanks
Tom

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can't uninstall it without rooting (and even then, I really don't suggest doing that because you never know when your 3rd party keyboard could crash and leave you with no way to input a password, say, to unlock a phone) but you can turn it off. Go to Language and Input in your Settings, then select DEFAULT KEYBOARD. There, select the SET UP INPUT METHODS and turn off the ones you don't want active.

Do you use SideSync? If so, that does need the Samsung Keyboard to work and that's what might be re-setting it as the default.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No problem, glad it helped. It's odd, though, that after setting up a different keyboard as the default it came coming back... :S Oh well.

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Just be careful that you don't do like me, use package disabler and disable the Samsung keyboard, and then forget to make sure that your other keyboard is selected before you do a reboot, because you will not be able to get into your phone without another keyboard selected if you have a password set. Factory reset last night was no fun

TrueMagic99

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I'm on an S7 and the only way to change it from the Samsung keyboard is to pull down the notification screen while your keyboard is open. You cannot change it in Language and input anymore.

Brian Crail

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
This is the only thing that worked for me. I had to pay $1.49 for the app but it allowed me to disable Samsung Keyboard and finally be able to use a 3rd party keyboard without having the stupid notification up in the bar. Nougat at least doesn't have an icon, but the notification is still there. Always drove me nuts.

Linda99

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm on an S7 and the only way to change it from the Samsung keyboard is to pull down the notification screen while your keyboard is open. You cannot change it in Language and input anymore.

Ridiculous! Thank you so, so, much for this information! I'm on an S6 and have been going batty trying to fix this. All the changes I've seen on this phone (compared to previous Androids, including my earlier S6 which I broke) are utterly counterintuitive ??????

bhobbster62

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site

This was the solution, thank you! Samsung Keyboard on my S7 cannot be disabled, but when I was in the Text Message app, i pulled down the notification screen, and from there was provided the option to select GBoard. Yayyy!!! Thank you!

veepul

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
I paid the $1.49 too and then it asked me to download a PDP Engine... Okay, did that too. And then I could disable Samsung Keyboard but the white bar when I use my 3rd party app still shows - I lost the ability to change to my Samsung keyboard too obviously since it's disabled... But the purpose was to hide the white navigation bar. Didn't work. tips anyone???

Last edited:

veepul

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
Just be careful that you don't do like me, use package disabler and disable the Samsung keyboard, and then forget to make sure that your other keyboard is selected before you do a reboot, because you will not be able to get into your phone without another keyboard selected if you have a password set. Factory reset last night was no fun

All good if you use the numerical option for your pass code... Right???? :O

veepul

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
This is the only thing that worked for me. I had to pay $1.49 for the app but it allowed me to disable Samsung Keyboard and finally be able to use a 3rd party keyboard without having the stupid notification up in the bar. Nougat at least doesn't have an icon, but the notification is still there. Always drove me nuts.

I paid the $1.49 too and then it asked me to download a PDP Engine... Okay, did that too. And then I could disable Samsung Keyboard but the white bar when I use my 3rd party app still shows - I lost the ability to change to my Samsung keyboard too obviously since it's disabled... But the purpose was to hide the white navigation bar. Didn't work. tips anyone???

fbcltd

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site

thank you, this is your best option, side sync messed me up.