speech to text microphone

ninnjinn

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Activated my Verizon Note 5 today! :cool: It is leaps and bounds over my Note 2. But I am having a grumpy moment..... Where in the world is the microphone for text to speech? I tried Samsung keyboard, nadda...... Tried Google keyboard, and microphone is below the send button and it doesn't work. Due to spending most of my time driving, I rely heavily on speech to text.

I have googled for the last 20mins with no luck in solving my problem.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been using SwiftKey for so long that I don't even look at the stock keyboard anymore... and just noticed that it seems to be MIA at least on the Samsung Keyboard.

But fear not, you can do a couple things.
1) Go to your language and Input settings in your phone and make sure that Google Voice recognition is active. Once that's done, tap on a text input field and select the Input Method button that shows up in your notification bar. There select Google Voice. Voilá! Now every time you input text, it'll be via voice (until you select another keyboard).
2) Download another keyboard. I personally like SwiftKey a lot. Another popular option is Swype. Those do have the Mic button and you don't have to forgo the default text input option in lieu of the Google Voice option (but it does take an extra tap to get the voice recognition going).

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
On the Samsung keyboard I have a key to the right of the Sym key, a long press on that key provides several options one of which is the mic. Does yours not have that option?

image.jpg

ninnjinn

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
No I cannot find the option in language and input to turn on the voice recognition

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 65

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine's the same as ninnjinn's. So weird, I do remember it was there on the Note 4. But since I don't use that keyboard I just didn't notice before haha

jabum

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Activated my Verizon Note 5 today! :cool: It is leaps and bounds over my Note 2. But I am having a grumpy moment..... Where in the world is the microphone for text to speech? I tried Samsung keyboard, nadda...... Tried Google keyboard, and microphone is below the send button and it doesn't work. Due to spending most of my time driving, I rely heavily on speech to text.

I have googled for the last 20mins with no luck in solving my problem.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and instead of the microphone icon I have the smiley face but once I long press on it the other options come up and there is a microphone there. It appears that whichever one I use last (microphone, emoji's, ect) is the the one that's listed on the keyboard. Wonder if Verizon disabled it for some reason.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and instead of the microphone icon I have the smiley face but once I long press on it the other options come up and there is a microphone there. It appears that whichever one I use last (microphone, emoji's, ect) is the the one that's listed on the keyboard. Wonder if Verizon disabled it for some reason.

I'm also on T-mobile, yes if you long press the text/pen button to the left of the Sym button, you'll get the microphone

_-Technologytwitt-_

thewizardofahhs

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on T-mobile, yes if you long press the text/pen button to the left of the Sym button, you'll get the microphone

_-Technologytwitt-_

Galaxy S6 Edge Plus Android 6.0.1
I can hold the cog symbol to the right of Sym, No mic. Samsung keyboard ver. 1.2.14. I believe that the cog had a mic when I first got it. I tried downloading the Google keyboard, but the layout is different and harder to use. Also the mic is on the far right and near where the screen bends and it requires more effort to use.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I would like to purchase a microphone that I can plug in and use my phone as I would a dictaphone. With a stop/pause button, etc. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech