A knock off third party app that mimics Doze is available in the Google play store (third party app)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Doze is available in the Google play store (third party app)

Please note that these apps are NOT DOZE, meaning the feature of Android that is baked into Marshmallow. These are apps that will set up a pseudo VPN and intercept data transmission requests, effectively blocking them while the screen is off. In one sense they're more configurable than the automated feature, but they're definitely not the same thing.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Please note that these apps are NOT DOZE, meaning the feature of Android that is baked into Marshmallow. These are apps that will set up a pseudo VPN and intercept data transmission requests, effectively blocking them while the screen is off. In one sense they're more configurable than the automated feature, but they're definitely not the same thing.

Correct.. the apps are still probably waking up, using resources, but at least they are being blocked. It's not much but hey it's better than nothing.

Clams1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

My bad. I thought the app was the same feature as in Android M. Feel free to delete the thread if it's confusing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

My bad. I thought the app was the same feature as in Android M. Feel free to delete the thread if it's confusing.

lol no worries, it's close to the same idea and definitely useful for people not on MM yet.

ppophil

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

There is no need for any battery saver app. The operating system does that for you with optimization.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

There is no need for any battery saver app. The operating system does that for you with optimization.

Not all variants have the optimization update.. I know Verizon doesn't

tubbz the bull

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site

I was thinkin the same off charger overnight id probably loose 10 to 15% in 7hrs sometimes less with location and Bluetooth turned off and on airplane mode

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I know that Android M owners really like Doze. Do these third party apps produce the same results?
Are there any security/privacy concerns around running a third party VPN (even though the VPN is running locally)?

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I just tried a new app: Cool Master. It shuts apps down if the temperature reaches a certain temp. I like that better than a doze type feature.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I never liked those apps and will never use them.

Part of the reason is that I'm running Marshmallow now (LG G4), but mainly because I am very skeptical of these apps as I think they won't really give much benefits.

Condalmo

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the focus here is on battery saving; what about data saving? Do these apps help limit which apps use data, so that some could keep synchronized but not others?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
A lot of the focus here is on battery saving; what about data saving? Do these apps help limit which apps use data, so that some could keep synchronized but not others?

When the screen is off, it blocks most data, but then there's an exclusion list that allows data to get through. When you turn the screen on, data resumes.

It only temporarily blocks data..

Petr Nalevka

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I'm the author of Dozzzer. I believe the official Android 6 Doze mode consist of 2 components: 1. limiting network connectivity 2. breaking alarms According to my own tests 1. is much more effective than 2. if you don't have a really badass app which would e.g. fire a RTC_WAKE alarm every minute or similar. In this case it is IMHO more effective to identify such app and uninstall it than using Doze mode which also breaks use-cases (this is the case of my other app Sleep as Android).

Apps like Dozzzer only do 1. but IMHO they bring the best of doze mode to all Android devices. It does not break alarms so that background processes can still work reliably and it brings comparable battery saving to the official doze mode. But even more importantly, they are configurable. You cannot turn off the Doze mode even it will break your favorite app, but you can always turn off Dozzzer..

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I'm the author of Dozzzer. I believe the official Android 6 Doze mode consist of 2 components: 1. limiting network connectivity 2. breaking alarms According to my own tests 1. is much more effective than 2. if you don't have a really badass app which would e.g. fire a RTC_WAKE alarm every minute or similar. In this case it is IMHO more effective to identify such app and uninstall it than using Doze mode which also breaks use-cases (this is the case of my other app Sleep as Android).

Apps like Dozzzer only do 1. but IMHO they bring the best of doze mode to all Android devices. It does not break alarms so that background processes can still work reliably and it brings comparable battery saving to the official doze mode. But even more importantly, they are configurable. You cannot turn off the Doze mode even it will break your favorite app, but you can always turn off Dozzzer..

There is an exemption list for official Doze. In the settings you can tell the app to be excluded for battery optimization.

Settings - Apps - (gear top right) - Battery Optimization

If you don't put things inside there, Doze will ignore their wakelock triggers. I was missing critical Pager Duty alerts for downed servers so I had to add Pager Duty there and now I'm getting the alerts.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Does routing my traffic through a VPN that you create cause security risks for me?
It sounds like a "middle man" in my internet connection.

Yirgalab

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm the developer of Doze and ShutApp. Thank you all for discussing Doze here and I want to say something:
1. For unrooted devices, VPN is the only way to block data. So this is one of those things we (or any others) have no alternative. The VPN is a block for data flow and the data will not be sent to any server.
2. In Marshmallow's Doze mode, network access is blocked; wake lock is ignored; alarms are suspended. While our Doze just blocks data flow.
In most cases, however, apps cannot do anything without network connection. We can reach the same result in both ways.
3. Why we developed Doze app even though all of us know Android 6 has the new feature?
Marshmallow's Doze is a very nice feature but it's too hard to get into the mode. Imagine a day I'm hanging out and I'm walking all the way, I can't get into Google's Doze then. In my point of view, that's one of the cases that we need battery lasting as long as possible. That's why we develop Doze that needs to set up VPN and develop other features like active list, aggressive mode, Charge/Wi-Fi preferred mode...
20% of our user base for Doze app are Android 6.0 users. For them, our Doze app may be a better option as you can get into Doze at anytime you want.
4. Great to see that we have similar apps like dozzzer app, with whom we share the same purpose - battery saving. Battery performance is always a problem for Android system, and we hope that Google can do something and make a world without battery saving apps.

Last edited: