My Samsung Note 5 touch screen is not responding by finger but responds by S Pen, how can I fix it?

A

AC Question

samsung note 5 touch screen not responding by finger but responds by spen

my samsung note 5 touch screen doest not response with my finger but it is responding by spen. This problem is from last 2/3 days. I have done factory reset and reboot my phone for 2/3 times but this problem was not solved. Can anyone help me to solve my problem.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: samsung note 5 touch screen not responding by finger but responds by spen

At this point I would contact Samsung for a warranty replacement

Pcdubbya

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I have this same issue on my note 5. It happened almost right away when I got it in October. It would be intermittent at first.

Screen wouldn't work with touch by my fingers but s pen would.
I'd hit power button to turn the screen off and it would, then it would turn on briefly with limited brightness on its own (the screen) for a couple seconds, then shut off the screen and turn it back on almost instantly with normal brightness and touch would work.

But only for as long as I have that screen session on. If I let it idle or hit the power button to turn it off and come back to turn it on by either of the two buttons, it won't work.

I wrote to Samsung yesterday via email as it finally gave out completely and only s pen works now (and I'm typing all this with the damn s pen) and they replied with numerous ways to try and fix it.

One was to hold power key and volume down button which would bring up a new menu that had three options. They recommend a factory reset from this screen. I however chose the power down option. After rebooting, the screen worked for a couple hours, which was nice but then stopped.

So it's definitely a defect/glitch in hardware/software.

I've tried factory resets and all the other options they suggest but still happens.

I will try to warranty through them and see what happens. Although going without my phone for 10 days is not ideal.

I hope this doesn't get swept under the rug by them.

P

Pcdubbya

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to confirm that by simply holding the power button and volume down button at the same time for 10 - 20 seconds then selecting power down. After turning it on, the touch screen works.

A normal restart of the phone doesn't have this effect so I believe this power down method may do something different.

We'll see how long it will last for again. I'll post what Samsung said to do below. Not the clearest instructions in my eyes as they don't say which option to choose specifically.

P

"Step-1. Perform a Battery simulation:

I will provide you the steps to perform battery simulation reset on the device, It clears internal circuitry of the device. You can follow the steps below to perform a battery simulation.

To perform battery simulation, press and hold the volume down key and power key for 10-20 seconds

Please check the issue. If the issue persists, please follow the next troubleshooting procedure. "

Amatura7maan

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I am having same problem. How do i do a battery simulation?
The procedure is not clear. Should I do that after shutting or while it is working. While charging or not????????

Rob Hayes

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Press and hold Volume down + Power buttons. It takes you into a black screen with an option menu. Use power up and power down keys to navigate the menu. Press the home button to select.

I've done multiple things to narrow down what the problem is. I've run my note 5 in safe mode to determine if it was an app issue and have not had any success. My next step is to Odin to a previous version of the OS... If that cures the problem, then I'm assuming the issue is with the latest update, but I find that very unlikely. More than likely, it's a hardware ussue :(

Last edited:

premmy84

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I just encountered the same issue literally 5 minutes ago. I don't know what it is maybe today there's a glitch somewhere within the system. I've done tried all the tricks you all mentioned and nothing seems to be working. Hope something gets fixed soon, I'm calling my provider tomorrow.

Rob Hayes

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I finally decided to take my phone back to the Verizon store today. I knew I had to do it quickly before the warranty ended on 8/21/2016. The Verizon rep looked at it rather quickly, the device is in flawless condition, and she immediately told me that this was a known hardware issue and that the warranty would replace it. As I stated earlier, I keep all of my devices in flawless condition. I don't like to use cases and have not found a satisfactory screen protector, so all of my devices are taken care of without exception.

Verizon has decided to replace my device with a "Certified Like-New Replacement Device". I know my device is nearly 1 year old, however I will be very dissatisfied if the replacement device has any flaws what-so-ever.

roxasull

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issue and and they said since the red dot indicates water damage, my warranty is voided. They acted as though this is an uncommon issue, but clearly it is not. How do I fix it? I just realized that the stylus works, but not my fingers. What are the steps please?

Thanks

Last edited:

Harold Powell

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Can you provide the next troubleshooting procedure suggested by Samsung?

I'd like to confirm that by simply holding the power button and volume down button at the same time for 10 - 20 seconds then selecting power down. After turning it on, the touch screen works.

A normal restart of the phone doesn't have this effect so I believe this power down method may do something different.

We'll see how long it will last for again. I'll post what Samsung said to do below. Not the clearest instructions in my eyes as they don't say which option to choose specifically.

P

"Step-1. Perform a Battery simulation:

I will provide you the steps to perform battery simulation reset on the device, It clears internal circuitry of the device. You can follow the steps below to perform a battery simulation.

To perform battery simulation, press and hold the volume down key and power key for 10-20 seconds

Please check the issue. If the issue persists, please follow the next troubleshooting procedure. "

SAHM Tauhid

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem - First I backed up my Note 5 both in my SAMSUNG and Google account. Then reset the Note 5 at Factory default. And then Restored the backups.That made my Note 5 back to normal. Looks like I had a software failure which was corrected by the factory reset !!!!

UnkAhunk

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Same problem, on a SM-N9208 64GB Duos.

intermittently losing touch screen every few months. My method is...

1) While S-Pen is removed, plug-in micro-USB-charger (on at power source) whilst phone screen is on and unlocked.

2) Press & hold at exact same time Power & Volume Down, until the screen goes black then quickly release buttons & you'll see the charge screen animation.

3) Press Power & Volume Down again, releasing Power only once you see Note 5 Boot screen. Your Theme should change to default & on lower left screen corner it'll read SAFE MODE.

4) Unlock screen & repeat step 2)

5) Now your back to the charge animation. Press Power button & turn on device as normal, still all with S-Pen removed & Charge lead connected. Unlock screen, go to settings/themes change to another theme, set a different wallpaper too within the Samsung Theme system app.

6) Open Chrome & do an image search for anything 2560x2560. At this point once the search list returns the results, drag the screen down to refresh with the stylus & as you slowly drag & the refresh icon arrow turns in it's little circle slide your finger off the S-pen onto the screen. It should now work.

Patience & Persistence is key. Repeat if necessary.

It seems to be a firmware bug issue, like when some times you have to clear an app cache or cookies to get an app or website to work.

Try clearing Dalvik Cache a couple of times too, it can't hurt.

Hope this helps out others with Unresponsive Intermittent Touch Screen issues. ;-)

Last edited:

ozan avci

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Just go to settings menu >backup and reset >>RESET SETTINGS. Phone restart and and go back to factory settings. It won't delete your files and passwords. It is the safest way.
Ps: navigate menu with your spen. You welcome

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois