Notifications

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
New to android so please excuse the novice question if that's what this is.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something when it comes to interacting with/responding to notifications. For example, if I'm in the browser (I use Firefox) and an email comes in, I see a quick one-line notifier slide down from the top of the screen. But there doesn't seem to be anything I'm able to do with that notifier. If I want to read the email, I need to get out of the browser and go over to email. Is there a way to quickly "trash" the email, or "mark it as read", or even reply to it, without having to exit the browser? Same question would apply to texts, or calendar reminders. Basically just wondering if there's a way to interact with a notification when it pops up without having to actually access the respective app it relates to.

Thanks.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
On the notification shade I have the option to delete or reply to GMail messages IF it's only alerting to one email. If there are multiple new emails you lose the ability to act through the notification shade. You can also swipe away the notifications form the shade.

By notification shade, I mean the one you slide down from the top of the screen, not the item that pops up with a single notification.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to "leave" the browser. You can pull down the notification shade and possibly deal with the notification from there or you can pull down the shade and tap the notification. That will take you to the app that originated the notification, where you can deal with it as you see fit. Then tap the softkey to the left of the home button (at the bottom of the screen). This will bring up your active app list where you can find the browser session that you were in and tap it and be right back where you were. This is one of the great things about Android and how it manages memory. It really doesn't "shut-down" an app until it needs the memory to do something else.

Even niftier, while in the browser, you can tap and hold the button to the left of the home button. This will move the browser to half of the screen and allow you to open another app in the remaining half. So, if the apps you are using support multitasking, you can actually deal with the notification and never leave the app you are in.

I hope this helps a bit. Please continue to ask questions we were all new to this at one point in time.

BigRedGonzo

ninnjinn

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Even niftier, while in the browser, you can tap and hold the button to the left of the home button. This will move the browser to half of the screen and allow you to open another app in the remaining half. So, if the apps you are using support multitasking, you can actually deal with the notification and never leave the app you are in.

BigRedGonzo

Awesome! Thanks BigRedGonzo. I have been an Android user for 6 years and I didn't know you could do this. very nifty indeed. Thank you

Posted via the Android Central App