What kind of Gmail address do you use for your Note 5?

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, You know how when you get a cell phone, it asks for a Gmail address to use all the features? Well right now, mine doesnt have my real name on it, in fact, it is a email address with the first two words as the first name and last two words as the last name. I am kind of a private person and I do not want anyone to have my info or spam me. How safe would it be to use an email address with ones name on their cell phone? Is this something that is normally done nowadays?

Or do most people use an email address that is not that descriptive? Eg. SoundofReason@gmail.com..(just an example not my real email address)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, You know how when you get a cell phone, it asks for a Gmail address to use all the features? Well right now, mine doesnt have my real name on it, in fact, it is a email address with the first two words as the first name and last two words as the last name. I am kind of a private person and I do not want anyone to have my info or spam me. How safe would it be to use an email address with ones name on their cell phone? Is this something that is normally done nowadays?

Or do most people use an email address that is not that descriptive? Eg. SoundofReason@gmail.com..(just an example not my real email address)

I use a very descriptive email for my phone email, my phone number.

I only use this email address for my immediate family, close friends, large legit business and work.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Soundofreason, kind of ironic considering your view on email.
I use my full name as my email address.
I have never had any issues and gmail is pretty good at catching spam.

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Soundofreason, kind of ironic considering your view on email.
I use my full name as my email address.
I have never had any issues and gmail is pretty good at catching spam.

Well the reason I was asking is because now there is a lot of data mining going on and I would like to minimize my digital footprint as much as possible. Also when you buy apps, they are tied just to that email address, so as far as I know, if you change the address, you don't get the apps back unless you use the address that you bought them under..kinda sucks tbh

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I only use my gmail for phone related things, i have a yahoo account for kind of a catch all and then i have my government account that is strictly used for work (see how that works Billary?!?)

My yahoo.is just friends and times i need to give someone an email, ive it too long to give it up now.

Im sure the gmail is good for a lot of stuff, but i keep it to the phone tablet area of my stuff.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The good thing about Gmail, even if you get on a lot of spam lists, it is good to direct actual spam to the spam folder and not make your phone go off every few seconds. I have 3 different Gmail addresses, one is for things that will generate a lot of spam. No spam ever goes to my inbox on that account.

My every day account gets one or two spam emails a month.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I use the same Gmail address that I have been using since I first got that invite way back when to be a beta tester for this new thing called Gmail by Google.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My name is fairly distinctive. Should someone hack my account and gain access to it, it would be bad. Just last month someone hacked into my Facebook account. Have no idea how. I'm thinking it might have been a rogue app and have since deleted many including a dialer app I was suspicious of. Anyway, he didn't change my password so all he was able to do was unfriend everyone and invite about 50 people I never heard of. And also made a couple of rude posts. Got control of the situation quickly, changed my password and revoked all those friend requests. I have a gmail account that includes my real name but I hardly ever use it....just for job application purposes and such.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't mean to link them. Just the consequences of someone grabbing your identity. I got off easy on that one. I just see no reason to use a real identity when I'm subscribing to promotions, news, feeds, etc. No upside to it. If it's important correspondence when I want to make a good impression, it's a different story.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't mean to link them. Just the consequences of someone grabbing your identity. I got off easy on that one. I just see no reason to use a real identity when I'm subscribing to promotions, news, feeds, etc. No upside to it. If it's important correspondence when I want to make a good impression, it's a different story.

That wasn't specifically to you. A lot of people use the same passwords for several things, especially their email. When you have the password for email, you can get passwords for everything.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I would not ever get an email account using my name just for peace of mind. I have to think using your name increases the odds of getting spammed. Spam bots send millions of emails a day just guessing at possible email addresses like jsmith@gmail.com, johnsmith@gmail.com, john-smith@gmail.com, jacksmith@gmail.com etc etc. When an email gets delivered instead of rejected the spambot knows it has a Live one and will keep hammering away at that address. The address gets added to a list of known live addresses and sold to other spammers.

So, jacksmith@gmail.com will probably get spammed fairly quickly. jackrabbitsmith@gmail.com would be less likely, jack-rabbit3990@gmail com still less likely and so on.

This really does work. I have a gmail account with a purposly fairly simple, easy to type name, but the name is a combination of numbers and letters that to anyone but me makes no sense. I've used this account for 8-9 years for all house business, bills, insurance, taxes, most everything except personal email. All this time it has been 99.99% spam-free - until about a month ago. Apparently some spambot finally guessed the address and has spread it to other spammers. Now I'm getting 20-30 spam emails a day and the number is sure to keep going up. So far Google's spam filters, which really are good, are catching it. But it's a pita to have to go through the spam every few days just in case a bill or other important email is accidentally sent to spam.

But once you have a named account, I see no reason using it on your cellphone would increase the chances of spam. Using the account increases the odds for spam. The more it's used the more likely you get spammed. But not where you use it - phone, tablet or PC - I don't see how it matters.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have several email accounts and the only one that has my real identification is the one for work.

Same here. To many hacks into emails with real names. Even someone at my company in an outside office with the same domain got hacked. Luckily my computer was ok, our filter caught it. I've had a Hotmail.com one for about 2 decades and because it's so obscure I don't think anyone wants it. I didn't know I would need a Gmail account when I got the Droid 1, so it's similar, but slightly different.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon