Note 5 keys quit working, how can I fix them?

mketch918

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
note 5 keys quit working

This is my second note 5 in the last week and the one before the a and e keys quit working and on this new one the l key quit working and the only way to get it to work was to reboot, I reloaded the phone two days ago because this problem started and I am running a stock phone with no added keyboards. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: note 5 keys quit working

Are these specific keys? I wonder if it's a bug in the carrier's version of things. Have you tried a different Keyboard? It's weird because it affects the keyboard (and certain keys). If it was a hardware issue you'd have a 'dead spot' on anything in that area of the screen...

Right now the only known issue (and the one I have knowledge of) is that Facebook Messenger can sometimes act up and 'block' an area near the upper left corner of your phone (but Force Closing Messenger makes it work again).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Also, do you get the same problem typing on portrait and landscape mode? That could give you a clue if this issue is hardware or software related.

mketch918

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

I will try in landscape mode just a soon as it happens again and see if it makes a difference. After I reloaded the phone, it worked great for 3 days.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If it happens again and you feel 'adventurous' you can enable Developer Mode and ask it to highlight touch areas... if there's anything weird blocking that section of the keyboard it should light up (that's how I figured out my 'screen issue' wasn't actually the screen but an app, namely, Messenger).

mketch918

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Update, happened again twice today and in landscape the letter L will work, but not in portrait. The letter P will barely work in portrait but works in landscape..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you change the keyboard size, does it do the same or does it 'skip' to a different letter? Do you have any touchscreen issues in that area on other apps? I'm guessing it's a bug in the Keyboard... Try disabling the Flow Input feature and see if that helps.

mketch918

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I done everything but a reload so far, I did find out that when the problem occurs and I operate it in landscape mode for a short time and switch back to portrait, the keys begin to work again.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I still wonder... do you have the issue with any keyboard or just the stock one? Just trying to understand if the issue is in the screen in general or with a specific app (in this case, the Samsung Keyboard).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I would try a third party keyboard like Swiftkey to see if it is a problem with the stock keyboard

TimMiller10

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issue with two new Note 5s (bought mid-December 2015) - both with the upper left dead zone (just deleted messenger app for one to see if that solves that issue per suggestion above) and one with the "L" key on the stock key board being dead until I restart the phone and it is fixed for a couple days then comes back. It will work in landscape. I have not yet tried a different keyboard but will see.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can any of you confirm if the issue is ONLY on the keyboard or does the 'L' key area affects any other screen input? If it's only the keyboard, then it's definitely a Samsung Keyboard issue and one that can easily be fixed by installing a 3rd party one, but if it blocks the rest of the screen, then it's something else.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue with two new Note 5s (bought mid-December 2015) - both with the upper left dead zone (just deleted messenger app for one to see if that solves that issue per suggestion above) and one with the "L" key on the stock key board being dead until I restart the phone and it is fixed for a couple days then comes back. It will work in landscape. I have not yet tried a different keyboard but will see.

Take a look at this thread and see if any of those fixes work for you.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=635028
Screen unresponsive in some places? Try these fixes.