S pen not always responsive

john_ath

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes, S pen is not responsive when I try to open certain apps. This happen often but not every day.
When I push the app icon with my finger opens regurarly. But when I push it with the Spen does not open.
Why this happens? Does anybody face same problems?

Posted via my SM-N920C

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No issues with mine. Maybe you need to replace the soft tip of your S-Pen, you're not pushing hard enough (not likely) or if you have issues when writing (skips, areas that aren't responsive, etc.) you may have a problem with the digitizer hardware. Some users report S-Pen problems if you use a case with magnets.

john_ath

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed that S pen is unresponsive in a certain area of the screen.
This area is on the middle-right side of the screen.
In this specific area I cannot use the spen.
I cannot write letters or draw or push an app to open. If I move the pen little higher or lower, little left or right it works properly!
Any thoughts of solving this?

Posted via my SM-N920C

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
that does sound like hardware failure, unfortunately. The phone should still be under warranty, though, so it shouldn't be hard to get it repaired or replaced.

I'd try to see if you don't have any magnets or try the pone without a cover and see if it helps.

john_ath

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
that does sound like hardware failure, unfortunately. The phone should still be under warranty, though, so it shouldn't be hard to get it repaired or replaced.

I'd try to see if you don't have any magnets or try the pone without a cover and see if it helps.

Dear friend, I think you 've just solved the mystery!
The problem is from the magnet of my case!
Magnet did not allow the spen to work properly in this specific area of the screen. I put out the phone and now spen is fully responsive and fully functional!
I put it in a plain silicone case and problem disappears at once! Who can believe that magnet clips can easily produce such a mess...!
Thanks for your help!

Posted via my SM-N920C

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen that happen more than once haha. Case manufacturers don't really look into phone specs and being so thin now, magnetic fields ARE something that can affect radios and internals. Since the S-Pen uses magnetic induction to work, a magnet that's too strong might disrupt this field and cause interference.

It was a very common issue with the Note 10.1 2014; some magnetic cases would cause the S-Pen to malfunction around the top of the tablet and even cause the top part of the screen (the notification bar area) to become unresponsive even to touch.

Glad you found the issue and that's an easy one to fix!

Ian Hackett1

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue with my S pen not writing on the right side of the screen, it was right after I started using a really nice case with magnets, removed the case and problem solved, never any issues since then.