Contract phone was stolen? Advice Needed. What do I do?

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
In MY experience they don't give a hoot what you do with your phone as long as you are still making the payments on it. I've sold them regularly and then pay them off, I've quit using contract phones and instead used an unlocked/no contract as well. They just want to see the payments every month. Go ahead and get your LG, get a sim for it and make your payments...or file a stolen phone(?) I'm assuming you opted for no insurance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I assume you reported the phone stolen to your carrier, right? Once you do that, they will blacklist the phone so that no one can use it as a phone. That should preserve your number as well.

Also, make sure you change your Google password ASAP, if you haven't done it already. This will ensure the thief can't access your data (in case your phone was unlocked when it was stolen).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Contract phone was stolen? Advice Needed.

If you bought it on 2 year service contract, then you will have to keep service for 2 years or pay etf. If you bought it on device payment plan then you would just continue to pay off the dpp. You can use the same number. I would contact Verizon. B. Diddy also has some good advice above

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Contract phone was stolen? Advice Needed.

Did you try to locate the phone using the Android device manager? It should report it's location.

Posted via the Android Central App

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, make sure you change your Google password ASAP, if you haven't done it already. This will ensure the thief can't access your data (in case your phone was unlocked when it was stolen).

Thanks for this advice. My phone bricked itself the other day - since I can't turn it on, I can't wipe it. So I changed the Google password on the account. I also set Android Device Manager (via the web interface) to remote wipe. Since the device isn't on, ADM can't wipe it, but it says if/when the device comes onto a network signal again it will try to wipe it. That's not likely to happen since I've pulled the SIM card, but it's something else to try to prevent data loss.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers