Note 5 Battery help

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I am on Sprint network and have my note 5 for about a month now. I've been reading how people go more than a day on a single charge and get 5-6 hours of screen on time. I am lucky to get 4 hours of sot with my phone before the battery hits 10%. Can someone with knowledge of reading the battery report or someone that can spare some time working with me to get some help on acheiving a full day of battery? I know every situation is different but I'm.willing to adjust in order to get the most out of the phone.

Also, is it bad for the battery to place it on the wireless charger everytime I put my phone down no matter what level the battery is at? I primarily work at a desk and can have the phone sit on charger everytime I sit down. Or is that bad for long term of the battery? Thank you in advance

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 3333.jpg
    3333.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 131

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Your Phone Radio seems to be using a decent amount of battery, so unless you're making tons of calls, I'd wonder how good your cell signal has been. Poor cell signal can contribute to batteyr drain.

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. I attached the screenshots you asked about.

Attachments

• 3345.jpg
    3345.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 113

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're in an area where your carrier has almost no signal (or your phone's radio is shot). That's going to eat tons of battery. (The signal should be 70% minimum), not almost maximum - you're averaging about 45%, so the phone's transmitter is running at full power, using battery power.)

Either bring the phone to the carrier and see what your phone signal is compared to an S5 they have on display (if there's is at 100% and yours is at 80%, have them replace your phone), or change carriers to one that has a good signal where you are.

The only problem with leaving a phone on a wireless charger is the heat from the charging pad. if it's not more than moderately warm after a few hours (and especially if you have a case on the phone), you can leave it there for months. Leaving a phone charging doesn't hurt anything - the charging circuit in the phone turns charging off when the battery id fully charged. (If the charge drops a percent or two, the charger comes back on, tops the battery off, then shuts off again. I have an 11 year old phone, still on the original battery, and it sits on the charger for many months at a time [I rarely use it]. The battery is still almost as good as new.)

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go to sprint store tomorrow and ask them to check it out . Thank you for the help

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
The screenshot shows what I think is my current cell signal, unless I'm.looking at the wrong thing. Is this the correct thing to look at in the sprint store on a different device? What would be the ideal number? Thanks

Attachments

• 3389.jpg
    3389.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 91

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Must be a problem with that app... my phone signal is also lower then 70% and sprint has the best signal strength of all 4 major carriers in my area.
uploadfromtaptalk1453340810780.jpeg

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
And I don't think there's a signal ur looking for.... that's just ridiculous to me bc when I had Verizon my signal was always 2 or 3 bars... about 110db bc I was always on band 4.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Signal less than -100 dBm is still considered pretty weak, so if it's consistently around -110 dBm, that's at least a contributing factor. Your graph actually shows that on average, the signal is maybe around 75% of the "High-Low" graph, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of dBm.

One thing that was missing from that series of screenshots was a list of app battery usage, so that we can see if any particular app is using a disproportionate amount.

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of my phone signal and app usage. Thanks

Attachments

• 3482.jpg
    3482.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 63

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now that phone signal graph looks significantly worse than the first one you posted. It's averaging more around 50%, with lots of dropoffs (note that the numbers on the left are for the battery, not the phone signal--the latter is on the right, and doesn't go all the way to the top of the screen). This makes me more suspicious that poor signal is the main culprit. Nothing about the apps stands out to me.

Is your signal pretty good at home? How is it at work?

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Now that phone signal graph looks significantly worse than the first one you posted. It's averaging more around 50%, with lots of dropoffs (note that the numbers on the left are for the battery, not the phone signal--the latter is on the right, and doesn't go all the way to the top of the screen). This makes me more suspicious that poor signal is the main culprit. Nothing about the apps stands out to me.

Is your signal pretty good at home? How is it at work?

Its hard to say if signal is good at time compared to when I'm at work. I pretty much always have signal either work or home but can't say if its good or bad. My db numbers st home are around -110 and sometimes goes to -114. Do u suggest I take the phone to sprint and have them check out the antenna? Thanks fir the help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Either check the antenna or try to compare two Sprint phones side by side, preferably in an area where your signal seems low.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks