Text messages are coming in as contacts' email addresses on T-Mobile

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I have tried searching through the forums but cant seem to find a previous post on this issue.

So I am getting text messages from people that are in my contacts list and the message is coming in as an email, their 123456789@txt.att.net, and then converts my conversation to MMS. My phone initially doesn't recognize the contacts name because of the email address so I will go in and add that email to their existing contact info. My issue is, after doing this, the texts still come in using that email version even though I texted just the number.

Here is another example. I text my contact to their #, text goes through like normal, when they text back it comes from their #@txt.att.net instead of just their phone # and that conversation is now a MMS message.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, but any help would be appreciated. I can't seem to find anything that fixes this. It doesn't happen with all my contacts nor does it happen every single time. I find it extremely frustrating :mad:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had this happen. Does the person sending text (I assume with a photo attachment) have MMS enabled in their phone's messaging app? Not sure if that would be a fix, but when it has happened to me before, seem to recall that enabling MMS on the sender's phone may have fixed the problem. It's been a year or so since this last happened to me, and I may be remembering the "wrong" fix, so take the above with a grain of salt.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen. Does the person sending text (I assume with a photo attachment) have MMS enabled in their phone's messaging app? Not sure if that would be a fix, but when it has happened to me before, seem to recall that enabling MMS on the sender's phone may have fixed the problem. It's been a year or so since this last happened to me, and I may be remembering the "wrong" fix, so take the above with a grain of salt.

They are not sending me a pic, just a normal text msg, but it comes in as MMS because it is being sent from their text email vs just their number :(

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
This was driving me crazy and had to change email from the stick app....

What do you mean change email? They aren't actually sending me emails, they are sending normal text messages but they are coming into my phone from their cell # emails.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
They are not sending me a pic, just a normal text msg, but it comes in as MMS because it is being sent from their text email vs just their number :(

I think the problem is being generated by the senders phone settings or their network. Just in case it may help to contact your carrier support to see if anything is going on with the network or the SMS system that could be contributing to the problem.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is being generated by the senders phone settings or their network. Just in case it may help to contact your carrier support to see if anything is going on with the network or the SMS system that could be contributing to the problem.

I chatted with T-Mobile Tech Support and the only thing we could figure out was that this was happening to come of my contacts who had Iphones :confused:. Nothing wrong with T-Mobile's network. I did try deleting the whole contact file for those people then created a new one and it seemed to have fixed it... for now anyway lol.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean change email? They aren't actually sending me emails, they are sending normal text messages but they are coming into my phone from their cell # emails.

I mean I had to switch to Outlook and Gmail instead of the stock email app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol