Best Non-Touch Wiz Launcher for the Note 5?

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, with the limited storage on the Note 5, I haven't done much looking into additional launcher options yet, but as a long time Windows Phone and HTC Sense user, I'm not thrilled with TW... It's not a 'this thing sucks' feel, but I'm just not sure I love it - if that makes sense.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has downgraded and disabled TW to save space and then installed something like Nova, Action or another 3rd party Launcher option on their Note 5? What are you favorites and why?

Thanks for the tips in advanced!

tmccormick87

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I love Nova Launcher, but to be fair it's the only launcher I've used. I am a huge fan of customization, and never considered an iPhone for that reason. I've had two HTCs and now the S5 and Note5. My favorite part of the launcher is being able to change the icons, labels, dock and grids.

I haven't disabled TW though. I leave it set up the way I like it, so if I want to switch back for any reason, it's there and ready to go. To me, 64 gigs is a lot, because my S5 only had 11 gigs internal, and my SD card was only 8. It was from a camera I had, and I never bothered to buy another, lol.That said, I never put any music on the S5, because I had Pandora and radio stations, plus I've had an iPod for years, but I do take a TON of photos. I'm going to be putting music on my Note 5 this time, and for now I'm not worried about app size, I've added back a bunch of apps I took off my S5.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have never used stock launchers, always defaulting on day one to Nova.

But, I have to say that I absolutely love TW on the Note 5. There are some S-Pen features that are lost when moving to 3rd party launchers and once I realized that I knew I wanted to stay with TW.

On the N5, I find TW to be fast and sufficiently customizable. Consider staying with TW for a while. Use Package Disabler to push apps to the side and enjoy the Samsung ecosystem.

It's really weird for me to be saying that, but it's the case for me.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Well in that brief time, I downloaded Action Launcher 3 for my Note 5 and it constantly crashed; so uninstalled and back to Nova!

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Nova is good, but I experienced some occasional lag. But it's insanely customizable.

I personally like Google now when I speak from TW

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on where you stand... if you want a streamlined launcher, Google Launcher. If you want something that is highly customized, Nova Launcher.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I've gone between TW, Nova and Google Now Launcher. I always tend to default to nova but recently I've been using TW. I, somehow, don't seem to miss the gestures of Nova and it just seems smoother,though that could be because I have novas animations set to fast instead of novas default or phones stock but none the less. TW is far better than it used to be so if you are/have upgraded from an older samsung like the s4 or s5 I'd say definitely give TW a week or so before you nix it.

Samsung galaxy note 5 32GB
Running 5.1.1
On AT&T

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Tried out Nova on my new Note 5 and it was OK, but there's no shortcut switch to turn data on and off like there is in some other launchers. Right now I'm trying out GO Launcher...

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
GO Launcher was a bust. I'm returning to my favorite - KK Launcher.

I used Go a long time ago. At the time, it wasn't overly obnoxious and it had a kind of ecosystem of apps, between launchers, email, keyboards, etc. It was kind of a one-stop shop for getting rid of the stock jumk I was dealing with (TW). Then they basically turned it into a platform to market their paid apps and it was like running old school shareware where you got nagged to pay for a feature constantly. But that was a good 3 years ago... I wondered what they look like now.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
GO Launcher was just sucking too much resources and it was messing up some of my apps. dodol launcher was a good one, until they changed it to Line Launcher and now it sucks, too. KK Launcher is the best I've found so far. It even has an independent icon for data that you can stick right on the homescreen. It still opens up the data settings, but at least it's one click instead of several.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs