Note 5 sim card issues

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

This is my bad for making assumptions before purchasing. I just got my Note 5 via swappa.com and wanted to swap out my sim card from my Note 3. Surprise surprise on me, not only is there no sim tool (which I didn't know I needed) but reading about how to accomplish this I learn the sim card for the Note 5 is supposed to be bigger than previous Notes :(

Looks like I have to make a trip to VZW (30mi away) to get a new sim card but how can I swap it out w/o the tool?

Thanks much,
Deb

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Wait!

The Note 5 is on a Nano SIM and the Note 3 is on a Micro SIM - the Micro is actually larger. If you can get the tray of the Note 5 open with a strong piece of wire, a very thin paper clip or even a staple. The store will be happy to open both phones for you, but you don't need to go.

1) Use the small tool to open the SIM slot on the Note 5.
2) Pull the SIM card out of the Note 5.
3) Remove the back of the Note 3 and remove the MicroSIM from it.
4) Use a piece of scotch tape to tape the two sim cards together in a stack - the NOTE 5 NANO SIM ON TOP. Line it up with the gold contacts of the MicroSIM as best you can before you tape them together.
5) Find a sharp pair of scissors to cut the edges off your NOTE 3's Micro SIM to make it the same size as the Nano.
6) REMOVE THE EXTRA TAPE!
7) Place the newly trimmed "nano" SIM into the Note 5 and away you go!

I've trimmed down about 1000 SIM cards in my day, but it is very easy to do. You can watch the neat CNet video on trimming from Standard to Micro to get the idea, but I've found my method works really well.

How to cut your own micro-SIM card - CNET

Worse, case, make the 30 minute drive, best case, you're using your phone in 5 minutes.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I got the tray open with a paper clip but there is no card in it which of course I didn't expect to find because nobody is supposed to sell their sim with their phone.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, found a sim card template for this, thanks for the video :) Never done this before so hope I don't mess it up and have NO PHONE until I get to VZW cuz that can't be until late tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, looking at and comparing the template to my sim card it looks like I'd have to cut off part of the "metal" looking stuff. I think I'd give it a shot if it were just cardboard I was cutting but I think it's best that I not mess with cutting the metal.

Reading this article below the Note 5 sim is also thinner so fairly certain this isn't gonna work from Note 3 --> Note 5.

http://allaboutgalaxynote.com/galaxy-note-5-how-to-guide/galaxy-note-5-sim-card-guide/

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Trimming a bit of the metal is totally normal for cut downs. The thickness difference doesn't actually matter in the SIM slot, but the older SIM will feel tighter in the newer slots. It really isn't hard, but if you don't feel 100% comfy doing it, it's easy enough to call and have a SIM sent to you if the drive is too far.

Good luck though and enjoy the Note 5!