Sim card issues - sim card not registered message

Mahmoud52

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I have had my note 5 from the beginning when it was released with T-Mobile I have never had any problems or issues until recently I kept getting a message saying Sim card is not registered and need to restart phone. I called T-Mobile they told me my Sim card is going bad and for me to go to a T-Mobile store and get a new Sim card replacement no charge well that was 2 wks ago now having same issue all over again smh wondering if anyone else having this same problem ty for any feedback.

Posted via the Android Central App

armstrong47

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sim card issues

I have had the same issue intermittently, maybe once or twice a week. I'm on Verizon. I've seen this issue on several forums and replacing sim doesn't seem to solve it on any variant. Maybe 6.0.1 will fix it when it rolls out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Check the SIM reader and see if there's any debris or corrosion present.

Does it help if you remove the SIM, then insert it again?

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I've had the same problem on mine with Verizon. I noticed that it started when I received the December security patch (which I think was actually November's patch).
I've been waiting for another patch to fix it, but apparently Verizon doesn't seem interested. They have replaced the SIM card twice now... No resolution.

With that said, sometimes I'll get it 4 or 5 times in one day and then none for 2 weeks and then again a few times in a few days. I can't seem to make any sense of it.

One day in fact, I had it happen 3 times in less than an hour. I hadn't even had time to really do anything. I was doing errands up town. Every time I would go check the clock it said, "No SIM inserted."

Another time it happened 2 times right in a row while at work. All I was doing that time was listening to a radio app.

Like I said, I can't make any sense of it.

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Verizon & has occurred a few times. Lost all connection & required a reboot. After happening twice in one day I popped the sim tray out & in a few times and has been ok since.

Mahmoud52

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys I have had my note 5 from the beginning when it was released with T-Mobile I have never had any problems or issues until recently I kept getting a message saying Sim card is not registered and need to restart phone. I called T-Mobile they told me my Sim card is going bad and for me to go to a T-Mobile store and get a new Sim card replacement no charge well that was 2 wks ago now having same issue all over again smh wondering if anyone else having this same problem ty for any feedback.

I agree I believe the new os will fix this issue and it's all random when this happens smh. Ty very much for all the feedback and advice.

metall0099

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

I just bought my note 5 a day a go, used. Worked great the first night, but the next day at work it started this no sim detected reboot window pop up thing. I just came from an iphone 6 plus and had no issues with the sim in that phone at all. I'm on verizon. Should I return while I still can or does every body on verizon with a note 5 have the same issue?

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I just bought my note 5 a day a go, used. Worked great the first night, but the next day at work it started this no sim detected reboot window pop up thing. I just came from an iphone 6 plus and had no issues with the sim in that phone at all. I'm on verizon. Should I return while I still can or does every body on verizon with a note 5 have the same issue?

I really hope that you don't blame it all on Android. This problem is a Verizon created issue since the last security update. Before that, it worked perfectly.

I've had the SIM card replaced twice and nothing. I truly blame Verizon on this one.

It happened to me 5 times this afternoon when I was in a certain part of town... Nothing before and nothing after I left that section of town.
Now I can't say that it is network related, but for me it happens only near where I work. I travel all around parts of Eastern North Dakota and western Minnesota and I only have this problem in the shopping district of Fargo.

metall0099

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

I really hope that you don't blame it all on Android. This problem is a Verizon created issue since the last security update. Before that, it worked perfectly.

I've had the SIM card replaced twice and nothing. I truly blame Verizon on this one.

It happened to me 5 times this afternoon when I was in a certain part of town... Nothing before and nothing after I left that section of town.
Now I can't say that it is network related, but for me it happens only near where I work. I travel all around parts of Eastern North Dakota and western Minnesota and I only have this problem in the shopping district of Fargo.

So would sending this thing into Samsung be a waste of time? I have 23 Days to return and get a refund. I want this problem fixed. If there is no solution, I'll go right back to the iPhone 6+ in my night stand. I love the phone and its features, but I ca handle this reboot crap. I went to Verizon today and they gave me a new SIM card. The guy at Verizon said that usually the 4GLTE is grayed out when its the phone or software. Mine had no signal at all. He said that means it's a bad SIM. I felt relieved. I had 5+ screens shots of what is looked like when I had this SIM card reboot issue, all had no signal. Well, it turns out that makes no difference, because I still have the same issue not an hour later.
The Samsung boys at Best Buy didn't do anything other then give me a number to call(horrible customer service btw). I have to ship out to Samsung and go without a phone for a week or two I was told. Honestly this is a huge issue that should be handled at the store and not shipping the phone out crap.

metall0099

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

Sorry Guys and Gals,

I'm going to post every step I'm taking on this endeavor, I can't find site that has the solution. So, there maybe many posts. I don't want other people to have to go through this too :(. I just did a boot in safe mode(which is suppose to eliminate 3rd party app.) which deactivates apps that may cause this issue. Well, that didn't work. I still had no SIM card detection. Now on to blowing out the SIM card port and placing a piece of paper on the non brass side back of the SIM card tray...

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Yea it's a Verizon issue. Should be fixed soon with next security patch... but then again it's Verizon were talking about here....
Nice icon BTW

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I see I'm not alone with the SIM card issue. My N5 does it every so often and a restart does the trick until the next time. I went to the corp Verizon store and the rep told me it was because I have Nova installed - wtf! What a pia just to get a new SIM card - the way the act you'd think they are gold or something.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Well I'm on AT&T and I've gotten a few sim error messages. I don't remember the error message but no cell connection until I restarted my phone.

metall0099

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

It's been 20 hours since I've done this but I'll, and wait with baited breath as I'm sure the SIM card warning will pop up in the next 2 hours, share it with you. What I did last night was cut a small piece of copying paper and over laped tape to adhere it to the SIM card. This was to add a little pressure to the SIM card to stay connected to the Note's prongs. Also, I blew in the port itself to blow any particles around. So far this seems to have worked.
I also had a chat with Samsung about this and they said it was under warranty. I'd have to ship it to them to get it looked at though. Nothing about there being a major recall for this issue. Has anyone gone down this route of replacing their note under warranty and have the SIM card issue come back up?

metall0099

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

Update: SIM card detections happened again at the gym this morning. I'm gonna see if send this thing to samsung does anything.

demonicmonk

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site

I'm on my second note5 and it just started the simcard issue again.

The first one had a simcard issue followed by loss of wifi functionality.

Literally the day after my return period (on the first one) the sim card issue started.

This is my first samsung, I love the features but I feel like it is the worst quality phone I've ever owned.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue as well. Actually two things. One was a pop up saying the SIM card was not detected. The other is a loss of connectivity (no texts or data or ohone calls go in or out) even though it looks like there is a signal. Brought the phone to Costco where I bought it. They pulled the SIM card and put the same one back in. I haven't gotten the pop up anymore. However, I still get the lockup of the data and cell connection. They said if it keeps happening they will exchange the phone. Sounds like that might not work though. Not happy! The phone is on Verizon.

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I just went a few days with no issues. Now today though, I got to work and right when I got to my desk the error popped up. It worked just fine as I was walking in this morning.

So, I rebooted like normal... Watched it load (did not tuch the phone after it came back up) and then went to a meeting... Came back and the error was there again.

All I did was push the home button to check for notifications...

In other words, I don't see how this is a SIM card issue (in terms of it being in the holster/port.)

I'll go days with no problems, running errands all over town and then it'll come up multiple times in one day at work. Usually in the same part of town (but not always)

This started only after Verizon provided the last security update. I went 2 months in the beginning of this phone with no problems at all. I have had 2 SIM cards installed over the last month.

It's very frustrating!

metall0099

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

Update: I returned the used Note 5 that I was having issues with and bought a brand new one from best buy. So far no issues. If there is one I'll be back here posting. Has anybody tried doing a factory restore and skipping the update? I'm new to Android, but from what I saw when I reset the Note 5 I was returning you had to manually do that security update.