Fingerprint scanner isn't as good as the 6s Plus

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I must say, to me, the fingerprint scanner on the Note 5, isn't as good as the iPhone 6s Plus.

Thus far, I'd say one in four times it doesn't work well. And , sometimes the bottom row of icons get activated. Well, the closes apps to the button. Most annoying.

I do wish I didn't have to press the button.

sergiu.m

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint scanner

I belive its very similar to the iphone 6 scanner but the note has a bad form factor compared to the apple, and that is why it's missing scans so often. If you take your time and place the finger exactly right it will unlock every time. On the iphone you don't need to do that, damn thing just works.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I have little to no problems. Mine works sideways, right side up, and upside down.... Just gotta make sure you have your finger flat against the reader & covering most of it! I love it!!!

Seems like those coming from the iphone are used to the hyper sensitivity of that scanner. The gripe I hear the most about the iphone scanner is that it's waaay to sensitive and unlocks even when you just want to utilize the lockscreen widgets. You win some you loose some!

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

To confirm, I only used the iPhone 6s Plus, for about 3 days. And, in all honesty, not ONCE in that period, did the fingerprint scanner, 'miss'.
I have four fingerprint scans set on my Note 5. Albeit, I do wish, one could simply rest their finger on the home button, versus pressing it. Even better still, a double tap to wake the screen, like the BlackBerry Priv, would work wonders (not with an app, merely as a default OS option)...

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I just rest my finger and it works, I wonder why you need to press? I'll say it seems it's not as FAST or precise as the iPhones I've owned, but it still works for me. I'd estimate my iPhones worked about 10% better? At first I thought it was a gimmick for the Samsung, but I was pleasantly surprised that it worked, almost as good as the iPhone.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Mine works amazingly well. I tried turning it off for a few days but being so used to the fingerprint scanner on my 6S+, I had to turn it back on.

I have all the same fingers scanned in like I do in the iPhone. Just like the iPhone, you have to press the button and then the fingerprint scanner unlocks.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I have the same finger set up twice, but that's only necessary because the angle that my thumb hits when the phone is in my hand vs sitting on my desk is different. With both angles set up, I pretty much never get a failure. Unless of course my thumb isn't entirely clean or something. But maybe once or twice out of every 100 times is there ever an issue

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I think the key is making sure you do a good job while setting up your prints. I have both thumbs and my right index finger (and my wife's right index finger) trained.

The reader may miss one out of 50 times. It doesn't matter what angle or direction I place my finger on the scanner, it just works. I have several friends that have iproducts and non of them work as well as my Note 5 does with the fingerprint scanning. As for having to press the home button to get the print to scan, I have never had to press the button to get it to scan. I have learned that if you press the home button to wake the phone and hesitate before removing your finger will unlock the phone.

Anyway, I find no issue at all with the use of the fingerprint scanner.

BigRedGonzo

BaboziMia

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

I just went back to using a four digit pin number since the fingerprint scanner not working well for me either. No big deal to me anyway.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner

Okay, hang on a second. Are some members saying with the note 5, you DON'T need to press the home button, merely rest your finger on it, and it will scan\unlock?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site

I have very little trouble with the Note 5's scanner, and I'm coming from an iPhone 6s plus.

Posted via the Android Central App

angrytentpole

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

Okay, hang on a second. Are some members saying with the note 5, you DON'T need to press the home button, merely rest your finger on it, and it will scan\unlock?

If the screen is lit up, all you have to do is rest your finger on it and it will unlock.

The whole click and hold is to turn it on from a sleep state (screen off).

I had trouble for the first week with the fingerprint scanner, then I redid a few of the prints and I don't have any trouble at all anymore.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I wake the phone with the power button then unlock by lightly touching fingerprint scanner. Works almost every time as long as I place my finger correctly. No, it won't unlock without pressing if the screen is off

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

My wife the other day was complaining about the FPS on her 6S+, which generally works fine for her. Only time she has trouble is when her fingertips are dry / callous, then the sensor has difficulty. She is a dentist and is always washing her hands and works with surgical gloves all the time. FWIW... I have had similar difficulty with the FPS on my LGV10, it too comes and goes depending on how dry my fingertips are. I program in my pinky fingers too, since they are less used.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Can't stand the way you have to unlock the phone to respond to a text message. A quick reply option would be great. Like the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech