Brand New Note 5---Replacing 12 Year-Old Flip Phone

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
So excited! Friday I finally got my Note 5. As noted above, I've been using a flip phone for the past 12 years. I started looking at Samsung's Note series when Note 3 was released. I always intended to buy one, but just kept putting it off because I'm very frugal. My flip phone finally died, so I got to buy my first smartphone. I'm enjoying it so much. Already set up with Nova Prime, and Swapps side launcher. I still have to research how to make and apply custom ringtones for various contacts, but that will have to wait until later when I have a bit more time.

I also have a TYLT Vu wireless charger, which is so convenient. One quirky thing, though. I have to place the phone on the charger on a diagonal, with the top of the phone leaning to the right, in order to get it to start charging. Then I can just slide it so that it's sitting on the charger straight and it works really well. If I place it with the top leaning to the left or straight up and down it will not start charging. Anyone else seen this? Wonder what the explanation is. I don't mind, though, as I find the wireless charger to be so useful.

After just a few days using this phone I wonder why in the world I waited to so long to get it. Really happy so far. Also open to hearing what your favorite tips/tricks or favorite features of the Note 5 might be.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Welcome to the Smartphone world and quite a device you chose to start! Awesome! We're all here to help if we can :)

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on the new Note! I'm a fairly recent adopter, myself, and I love it.

On the Tylt issue, I suggest you email their support people. I had a recent problem with mine (although not the same as yours) and they were very quick to respond.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on the new Note! I'm a fairly recent adopter, myself, and I love it.

On the Tylt issue, I suggest you email their support people. I had a recent problem with mine (although not the same as yours) and they were very quick to respond.

Thanks for the tip. It seems to be working okay, but I suppose that would be wise anyway. I actually bought it some time ago, in anticipation of buying the Note 4, but I never did get it. So, based on purchase date, it's no longer under warranty, even though I just started using it last Friday. So I'm just relieved that it does work. Within a few seconds of placing it on the charger (if I put it on at a diagonal), it will start charging; and it continues to charge when I slide it back to a vertical position. Therefore, it's not a big issue, just strange, although it does make me wonder if it will stop working altogether at some point .

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Nice! Welcome to the Smartphone world and quite a device you chose to start! Awesome! We're all here to help if we can :)

So true. It is a huge jump from a simple flip phone. However, I have been lurking here for a long time, as well as doing a lot of research on phones---especially the Note series, so it's been a pretty easy transition. I had also started entering all my contacts on my Google/GMail account, which made the transition super easy and resulted in my having a working phone almost instantly.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Tech World :) My husband was a die-hard flip phone user all these years until through a long-story-short adventure wound up with a "smartphone for a day" and there hasn't been any going back for him since. He's got nothing near a Note but he's very happy with his LG Vista to say the least. Now if I could just get him to curb his YouTube & Netflix habits ... he's chewing up data faster than I can keep it supplied - ya all can come visit us in the poor house if you like.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Ironically, I'm know as the "techie" in the family---the one people call for help with their electronic devices. I'm completely self-taught, but I guess I know how to look up information well. :) We are, however, building a home this year, so I was trying to eke out a little more time with the flip phone until we finished. Trying to keep as much cash as possible for the unexpected expenses that always come up when building a home.

I honestly don't regret getting the Note 5 now---it was inevitable anyway and I'm really finding it useful.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I also have the Tylt vu issue. I took a long, black, flat Leggo from my kids and taped it to the base so the phone is placed on it. It lifts the phone just slightly and makes a perfect connection. If I use a case for my Note that seems to lift it enough too.

Posted via the Android Central App

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I also have the Tylt vu issue. I took a long, black, flat Leggo from my kids and taped it to the base so the phone is placed on it. It lifts the phone just slightly and makes a perfect connection. If I use a case for my Note that seems to lift it enough too.

That's interesting. I do have a case--the Samsung S-View case---the one with a window in the upper half of the case. I tried all sorts of things to get it to start charging, including slowly sliding it down the length until finally resting it on the bottom, and nothing worked until I placed it on the diagonal. When I do that it starts charging within seconds and continues to charge as I slide it around to rest properly on the charger. Therefore, I'm happy with it's performance, although I think it's strange. I would think with 3 coils it wouldn't be so finicky about how the phone is placed on the charger.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome!! 99.9% chance you'll never go back to a flip phone. Sometimes the Android operating system can get a little confusing but it's definitely the most customizable and capable systems out there.

Android made a big fan out of a blackberry guy with me.

As for tips and tricks, using the swype method to text is very convenient. There are a ton of battery saving ideas out there along with apps that just help your device run a whole lot better and make your device one of the most convenient tools in your life. Head to the "play store" and look for apps that pertain most to your life whether it be productivity, life, games etc...

Another thing is that you never need your brightness all the way up. Save your eyes a bit. Another thing is to swipe down from the very top of your screen and turn some things off that can kill your battery.

For example, I have these features turned off at all times unless I need them (i.e. Location Services, for Google maps and gps)

WiFi (you might want to keep this one on so you don't forget about it when you're out and about running through your data plan. If you're not on an unlimited data plan, keep this on)

Location (unless you need to use GPS)

Bluetooth

(All others should be turned off by default by the factory)

Have fun!

NFC

Last edited:

henderjr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue with my tylt vu charger and s-view case. I don't use the case too often but when I do I put a little USB stick I have on my desk on the bottom which raises the phone enough to charge right away. I don't think it's your charger but just something about the case and charger that don't mix. I have 5-6 cases and all work like they should on the tylt vu other than the s-view

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What a jump! That's like going from a desk calculator to a Windows 10 Ultrabook with all the bells and whistles.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome!! 99.9% chance you'll never go back to a flip phone. Sometimes the Android operating system can get a little confusing but it's definitely the most customizable and capable systems out there.

Android made a big fan out of a blackberry guy with me.

As for tips and tricks, using the swype method to text is very convenient. There are a ton of battery saving ideas out there along with apps that just help your device run a whole lot better and make your device one of the most convenient tools in your life. Head to the "play store" and look for apps that pertain most to your life whether it be productivity, life, games etc...

Another thing is that you never need your brightness all the way up. Save your eyes a bit. Another thing is to swipe down from the very top of your screen and turn some things off that can kill your battery.

For example, I have these features turned off at all times unless I need them (i.e. Location Services, for Google maps and gps)

WiFi (you might want to keep this one on so you don't forget about it when you're out and about running through your data plan. If you're not on an unlimited data plan, keep this on)

Location (unless you need to use GPS)

Bluetooth

(All others should be turned off by default by the factory)

Have fun!

NFC

Just remember, Android (and phones in general) have come a long way from the battery-hungry GPS radios and software implementations. Even now, if you keep your Location setting ON and in High Accuracy mode, you should't see a huge difference with keeping it off unless you're actively using the GPS signal (like navigation or taking a hundred pictures with geotagging in different spots). BT and NFC aren't necessarily battery drainers, but for security reasons, some people like to keep those off (especially NFC) unless they need them; again, not huge battery drainers unless actively being used.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Just remember, Android (and phones in general) have come a long way from the battery-hungry GPS radios and software implementations. Even now, if you keep your Location setting ON and in High Accuracy mode, you should't see a huge difference with keeping it off unless you're actively using the GPS signal (like navigation or taking a hundred pictures with geotagging in different spots). BT and NFC aren't necessarily battery drainers, but for security reasons, some people like to keep those off (especially NFC) unless they need them; again, not huge battery drainers unless actively being used.

Location gives me big issues with battery drain if it's left on by mistake. Things in general being on take battery power. I personally try to save as much battery as possible given my usage tendencies

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Location gives me big issues with battery drain if it's left on by mistake. Things in general being on take battery power. I personally try to save as much battery as possible given my usage tendencies

That's weird... do you have many location-aware apps maybe? I keep mine on High Accuracy all the time and on a T-Mobile Note 5, it doesn't make much of a difference if I keep it off or on low accuracy, and yup, my phone still lasts about a day on normal use. But my only location-aware apps are Maps, the weather info, Google Now, and geo-tagging pictures.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
That's weird... do you have many location-aware apps maybe? I keep mine on High Accuracy all the time and on a T-Mobile Note 5, it doesn't make much of a difference if I keep it off or on low accuracy, and yup, my phone still lasts about a day on normal use. But my only location-aware apps are Maps, the weather info, Google Now, and geo-tagging pictures.

I use maps frequently but the phone stays plugged in so that I have juice wherever it is that I'm going. If I leave location on, my battery drains pretty quick even after closing the maps app.

I use my phone A LOT. It's my computer, it's my scheduler, my communicator, alarm and very important for my work.

It could just be my battery. I took it off the charger 6am this morning at 100%. This mornings drain was expected given I was setting up a replacement note 4 that came in the mail yesterday. Check out the drain after a few hours:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-24-09-12-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-24-09-12-10.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 38

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I do keep location on because I find it very convenient to set my home as a trusted location so that I don't have to unlock my phone frequently through the day. Since I have the TYLT Vu, I tend to put the Note 5 on the charger when I'm ready to put it down. I like that it keeps my battery charged for me and that I always know where my phone is when I want it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon