Dark Ages - still with us? .mp3 import for greeting - impossible?

LimeyDi

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I want to import a (brief) professionally recorded .mp3 file to use as my voice greeting (actually, modesty aside, I have a custom voice greeting by Carl Kasel from WAIT WAIT DON'T TELL ME that I won on the show). I have already extracted the .mp3 file from the CD I received. However, the only way I have found to get this as my voice greeting is ... please don't laugh - to HOLD MY PHONE UP TO THE BOSE SPEAKER when the CD is playing. No way to import the .mp3 file and get the best sound quality. The sound quality using the Bose Speaker (or any other speaker) method is, of course, crap ... Android phones not being famous for bell-like crystal clear sound. I have researched as best I can with no luck. I can find no way to replace the crummy scratchy greeting with my nice .mp3 file - even if I do agree, which I don't. to download various "trial" versions of various dodgy apps. Does anyone have a straightforward solution? And if not, why not? It is now March 1, 2016 and I thought the voice communication process started by Alexander Graham Bell was advancing nicely, but no, when it comes to importing an .mp3 so callers can clearly hear my greeting, it might as well be 1316.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is it something that your service carrier can upload? Most aspects of voicemail are not handled on your device.

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Is it something that your service carrier can upload? Most aspects of voicemail are not handled on your device.

That's the problem. The greeting doesn't live on your phone. It lives on the phone company server.

Interesting point, though. You're right, there should be an approach more modern than Bell's available to us. I can imagine why phone companies resist, though. The storage space to store our crappy voices is next to nothing. Your high quality mp3 probably takes more space than 1000 of those.

Next thing, people would be wanting to upload songs and movie clips....an idea that has me excited enough that I'm already working on plans. Why have ME answering the phone when it could be Bugs Bunny or Jeff Lebowski? :D "The dude abides. Beeeeeep."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae