Should I be concerned about high temperature warnings?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded an app called CPU Temp. I enabled high temperature warnings, and in the couple weeks I've had my Note 5 I have had a number of high temperature warnings---usually stating that the temperature is 70 - 73 Celsius. As far as I can tell it usually happens when it is charging on my TYLT Vu wireless charger---possibly when updating apps, but not sure. I don't play games or anything like that. The most stress I've put on the phone has probably been downloading apps and setting up the phone to my personal preference. Otherwise, I don't really put it through any high-demand tasks.

Should I worry about these high temperature notices? I hate to return the phone, but I'm wondering if I should take it back to AT&T and tell them about this. By the way, the phone has never felt hot when I pick it up---maybe a little warm, but that's it. I do have a Samsung S-view case on it. (Sometimes I've been present when the high temperature warning goes off, but at other times it seems to occur overnight and I find the warning the next morning.)

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
it's completely normal, i'm using that app on my GS6 aswell, i get those cpu temps all the time, even when browsing, and the battery temp goes max 37 degrees celsius when using Waze and charging, you could disable the high-temp warning :)

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answering my question. So do you think CPU Temp is too aggressive in reporting high CPU? Or could it be inaccurate? I just got another warning. My phone has just been sitting next to me without my using it----although there was a notice that 2 apps had been updated. In my experience, those updates are rarely very lengthy, so I have to wonder why it would trigger a high CPU temperature.

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
It is accurate,but you have an option to set at what temperature the alarm goes off, it's normal when downloading/updating apps for the cpu to heat,you have a also a cpu monitor in the app,you will see that those high temps are only peaks,it's how the cpu works,it goes full load when it needs to, i noticed that Exynos CPU's are made to run at higher temps than the Snapdragon ones, when the back of the device feels warm/hot there are two posibilities,either the battery heats when fast charging, or the cpu heats when doing tasks warming the battery too, i played Asphalt 8 and the cpu peaked around 80 degrees celsius, maybe more, i stopped the cpu monitoring and the alarm because they made the app run in background
My 'philosophy' :) with an android device is that it doesn't have to run tasks in background if i don't need them, i use the debloater tool from XDA to disable system apps that you don't need and can slow your device and drain battery-
V3.90 Debloater(Lets remove all that carrier… | Android Development and Hacking
it doesn't need root but you have to be careful what you disable,
or Package disabler Pro from the Playstore
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&token=_EB7wEwz
which is more intuitive and simpler
i disabled many system apps which i do not use,like S-Voice, Weather(i'm using Accuweather), ANT+ etc, i could put here a full list, but there are 131 system apps i don't use, that won't run in the background, even if in the running services tab in setting/apps appear the apps that are running, many of the system ones are contained by 'System', they intentionally don't let you mess with the system apps,because you could stop an important system task, but, if you know what you are doing, disabling the ones you don't need can make your phone run smoother

i made a simple post a novel LOL :)

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for writing the "novel." I appreciate a full explanation. I don't understand the mechanics of a smartphone and, since this is my first one, I feel unsure about how to proceed. I had seen some information about Package Disabler Pro and was tempted to run it but also kind of afraid to do so for fear I will disable something critical to the operation of the phone. OTOH, it might be good to try it out now and see how it works. I assume that, if it doesn't go well, I can do a factory reset and just start all over again setting up my phone. Right now there isn't a lot on it that I couldn't recreate. I have Nova Prime, a calendar widget, a weather app, and Swapps side launcher that I've used to customize my phone. The only critical information other than the set up data for these apps would be my contacts, and they were all created in Google and, thus, could be synced to the phone if I had to reset to factory settings. I just need to know for sure that I could do a factory reset if I made some mistakes with the Package Disabler Pro app.

If this were a Windows PC, I wouldn't hesitate to remove everything and start over; but Android is still a mystery to me.

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
if you do happen to brick your device, you cam use Smart Switch for Mac to reinstall your firmware, but in Package Disabler you have all the important system apps coloured in red as I recall, there's little chance you can brick your device, also, there are many posts on Xda and the web with the 'safe to disable' apps,i posted two links here but there are many other threads :)
http://www.andromods.com/apps-mod/disable-remove-bloatware-safe-list-galaxy-note-5.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note5/general/guide-bloating-touchwizzing-note-5-t3184563

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non