Note 5 Security Flaw?

Chris0725

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Well I don't get on these forums often, so this could be a well known issue. I was playing around with my Note 5 ( sprint ), which I have the fingerprint scanner activated, and I noticed I can bypass the Fingerprint Lock screen! Yes, I can just skip over it! How? Press the home button and power button at the same time.

If this is not a known issue, can anyone else confirm this on their Note 5? I have my fingerprint scanner activated for access to my phone. I pick up my phone.. turn it on.. when prompted with the lock screen to check my fingerprint, I just hit the home button and power button at same time and bam, i'm passed it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, wouldn't that be because you're putting your registered finger on the button? I no longer have the Note 5 to test, but on the S7 doing that with an un-registered finger just takes a screenshot. If I use a registered one, then it just logs me in AND takes a screenshot.

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Boi
It's scanning your fingerprint when you touch the home button

From my AT&T Note 5 paired with an Asus Zenwatch 2

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
If i use an unregistered finger it does the screenshot as well.

To be honest i never thought i would care about a fingerprint scanner, my note4 was kind if a pain.

W the note5 its reliable enough to use all the time. No security flaw that i can find.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Inquisitive1

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I just tried it and a screen shot happened. So evidently it is reading your fingerprint and unlocking your device

Posted via the Android Central App

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I used my middle finger(as my index and thumb are registered) and the power button, and it would not bypass the lock. It would only do a screenshot and then still ask me to unlock my phone.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I used my middle finger(as my index and thumb are registered) and the power button, and it would not bypass the lock. It would only do a screenshot and then still ask me to unlock my phone.
Check this not sure if that could be the issue, i have mines off from Google settings.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Check this not sure if that could be the issue, i have mines off from Google settings.
Opps this
eccba6aef404c5ccfb15f2b2e9a76d09.jpg

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Finger print feature is more a convenience feature than a security feature, right? Because it's not as secure as Passwords but it's more convenient to input. Of course it's more secure than not setting password at all.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Fingerprint authentication IS more secure than passwords... problem is most fingerprint readers can be spoofed (you'll see a video of someone fooling a fingerprint reader on every major smartphone that features one). Problem is, unlike guessing a password or brute-force guessing one, you need a copy of the fingerprint for the spoof to work.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
On newer Android versions you can set up certain Bluetooth devices, locations, and/or voice/faces to be 'trusted'. When these trusted devices/locations/people are detected, your phone will keep your device unlocked while they are present (for instance, to avoid having to unlock the device every time if you're in the car using the BT stereo or if you're listening to music with your BT earphones or to keep your phone unlocked at home but locked elsewhere). Sadly, it doesn't work with WiFi network detection in most stock versions, but since location uses WiFi information as well, it's not so bad.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
It isn't more secure from authorities such as the local police. In the only court case to date the court said that since the police can legally get your fingerprint without a warrant you can be forced to unlock a fingerprint secured phone but since a password can't be forced from you without a valid warrant you don't have to give it to the police.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Secure doesn't equate to easily obtainable. A fingerprint is more secure than a password, just like a 256-digit password is more secure than an 8-digit one.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Secure doesn't equate to easily obtainable. A fingerprint is more secure than a password, just like a 256-digit password is more secure than an 8-digit one.

Well we can agree to disagree. No matter the actual degree of security, access to the security key is the final arbitor of "being secure". In reality data is only as secure as access to the security key.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan