Used Odin to restore note 5 to default. Keeps rebooting to recovery mode.

westsidekino

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
When I try to install the custom recovery using odin it says pass, the phone then boots into recovery mode and allows me to reboot. And keeps rebooting.

the phone wasnt locked and had no pin or gmail account on it.

I'm using the T-mobile stock 6.1 rom MMB29K.N920TUVU2DPD1 from here. http://www.galaxynote5update.com/galaxy-note5-stock-firmware/ Again, Odin passes. i have tried several different dload versions of the 6.1 and odin passes. Same issue on device.

i also tried different versions but odin fails at the .cm phase.

Any ideas?

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Also....try going to sammobile.com Use their OEM firmware. Search using your actual Model Number in About Device. And as Golfdriver97 said, try using different cables/ports....and even difference PC if possible.

Chris

westsidekino

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for the advice! I have tried everything you have all recommended and am still having no luck.

these are the SWs i tried
N920TUVU1AOGE_N920TTMB1AOGE_N920TUVU1AOGE_HOME.tar (.CM fail)
N920TUVU1BOH4_N920TTMB1BOH4_N920TUVU1BOH4_HOME.tar (.CM fail)
N920TUVU2DPD1_N920TTMB2DPD1_N920TUVU2DPD1_HOME.tar (pass)

Keeps rebooting into recovery mode,
Tried doing a wipe from recovery mode (Failed to mount /preload (no such file or directory)
Every time the device loads into recovery mode it shows error...

"dm-verity verification failed...
need to check drk first..."

cant figure it out

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are near a Best Buy, the Samsung Experience Shop may be able to help you flash the appropriate ROM for your phone model. If they run into the bootloop problem after successfully flashing the default factory ROM that shipped with your phone, then I'd imagine that they could start the process to get you a replacement phone.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, just read your original post again. You are trying to flash a custom recovery like TWRP? Is your bootloader unlocked, or did the custom recovery attempt succeed to begin with?

It's been awhile since I've rooted/ROM'd, but if I remember correctly, you have to have the correct custom recovery version for you specific phone model.

Does the custom recovery even work properly, or are you back to the non-custom recovery that ships with the phone from the factory?

westsidekino

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
hello, thanks for the reply.

i tried twrp and have had no success, really im just trying to install the factory rom. My friend got the phone on ebay and i have been trying to fix it but its become harder than i expected. Warranty not applicable here unfortunately. knox shows 0x0 so it's not bricked.

i think it came modded because the cellular functions wouldnt work and it had super user.

does best buy do it differently than i would do it via odin? because if so, im willing to give it a try.

westsidekino

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Heres a more detailed description from xda

Hello,

I have been trying to fix a friends t-mobile phone (note 5), he got it from ebaya, dumb i know. It seems like it was rooted because it wouldn't make calls and had super user. I loaded the official latest software via odin and only made it worse, wont even load to OS now.

I have loaded several SWs to try and restore (using odin)

these are the SWs i tried
N920TUVU1AOGE_N920TTMB1AOGE_N920TUVU1AOGE_HOME.tar (.CM fail) original note 5 tmobile sw.
N920TUVU1BOH4_N920TTMB1BOH4_N920TUVU1BOH4_HOME.tar (.CM fail) revision, still official.
N920TUVU2DPD1_N920TTMB2DPD1_N920TUVU2DPD1_HOME.tar (pass) latest official

Odin gives me a consistent pass with official N920TUVU2DPD1_N920TTMB2DPD1_N920TUVU2DPD1_HOME software

It keeps rebooting into recovery mode,
Tried doing a wipe from recovery mode. Error - (Failed to mount /preload (no such file or directory)
Every time the device loads into recovery mode it shows error...

"dm-verity verification failed...
need to check drk first..."

I dont know what to do, knox shows 0x0
used different PCs
different cords
different odins

i must have installed it a dozen times, i even removed the cache file and re packaged the .tar any help would be fantastic.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
hello, thanks for the reply.

i tried twrp and have had no success, really im just trying to install the factory rom. My friend got the phone on ebay and i have been trying to fix it but its become harder than i expected. Warranty not applicable here unfortunately. knox shows 0x0 so it's not bricked.

i think it came modded because the cellular functions wouldnt work and it had super user.

does best buy do it differently than i would do it via odin? because if so, im willing to give it a try.

Sure. It wouldn't hurt to take it to Best Buy. They may/may not be able to help. Take your friend with you, and just be honest with them and tell them what has happened to this point, and that all you and your friend want to do is get the phone back to factory default specifications. I don't know if the Samsung Experience staff would use Odin differently than you have, but it is possible to overlook a minor detail that can later cause issues. Having someone else try to flash with Odin with a different computer and cable is also a benefit.

Since your friend's phone came with SU (superuser) already installed, to me it sounds like that it was at minimum rooted. From what I remember, some root methods require installing a pre-rooted custom ROM, and in order to do that, the bootloader needs to be unlocked and have a custom recovery installed. There is more detail/options than what I've listed here. This information is also important to tell the Samsung Experience staff so that they know what they are dealing with - although if they are experienced with root/ROM then it will probably become readily apparent to them what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49