Can no longer send email from Note 5

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
This evening I responded to an email with no problem (at least I assume not -- it shows up in the Sent list). Then I tried to email a photo attachment from my phone, and that email got stuck in my queue. Photo size is about 1986kb.

Tried deleting the queue and sending various other emails (with and without attachments), and all outgoing mail got stuck in the queue. Even tried sending to different email addresses.

Finally I turned the phone off and on, and then I could send an email without an attachment, but as soon as I tried to send another email WITH an attachment, the queue got stuck again and clearing it didn't help.

Any suggestions?

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Marshmallow, but can't remember what date I got the update. Is there a way to check on the phone to find out when Marshmallow arrived?

EDIT: I found the info on the phone - OS update to Marshmallow happened on April 14. I've been able to send photo attachments since then -- until now. So I'm guessing it's not a Marshmallow issue, or it would have started happening right after the update.

TIA.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mallomar

My thoughts are just as you suspect, that MM is the culprit. I would suggest, based on many before you with issues, that you do one of the three below, in order, stopping if it starts working after each one.

1. Delete email account from your phone, then re-add it.
2. Enter recovery mode, Wipe Cache Partition.
3. Full Factory Reset (YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA, BE SURE TO BACK UP).

Hope this helps!

Chris

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Is your email account inbox full or reaching it's size limit? Usually if you are using Outlook and connected to an Exchange server that hosts your email account, a warning or error message will appear if your mailbox is full. The Samsung email app may not have the same logic to inform you that your email account is full, or that a problem may exist on the email server and not the phone.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are using an email app other than the Samsung stock app have you updated it to the latest version? Have you tried deleting the email app, clearing the phone cache, then re-installing it?

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Mallomar

My thoughts are just as you suspect, that MM is the culprit. I would suggest, based on many before you with issues, that you do one of the three below, in order, stopping if it starts working after each one.

1. Delete email account from your phone, then re-add it.
2. Enter recovery mode, Wipe Cache Partition.
3. Full Factory Reset (YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA, BE SURE TO BACK UP).

Hope this helps!

Chris

If I delete the email account from my phone, and then re-add it, will I lose all the emails I have now? FWIW, it's a gmail account. The gmail app was configured by Verizon when I bought the phone. I don't know if the app is a standard thing that was already on the phone, or if the Verizon guy installed it.

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Is your email account inbox full or reaching it's size limit? Usually if you are using Outlook and connected to an Exchange server that hosts your email account, a warning or error message will appear if your mailbox is full. The Samsung email app may not have the same logic to inform you that your email account is full, or that a problem may exist on the email server and not the phone.

It's a gmail account. I don't use Outlook. I check gmail using Thunderbird on my desktop PC, mail.google.com on my laptop, and the gmail app on the Note 5.

I've never been able to figure out if the gmail phone app actually downloads all my gmails to the phone (like POP3?), or if it's like IMAP and just shows what's still on the gmail server. I have only rudimentary knowledge of all this email/POP/IMAP stuff.

If the phone is actually downloading emails, how can I delete a bunch of them (as opposed to deleting them individually, which would really be ponderous)? I did go the gmail web page and delete a boatload of emails, but I'm sure there are still thousands too many. FWIW, my gmail page says "2.54 GB (16%) of 15 GB used."

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If you are using an email app other than the Samsung stock app have you updated it to the latest version? Have you tried deleting the email app, clearing the phone cache, then re-installing it?

I'm guessing it's the Samsung stock app. Verizon dude set it up when I got the phone. Icon is a white envelope with a big red M on it. I figured it would be automatically updated when Samsung does system updates.

Haven't tried deleting the email app because it's scary.

I now have limited ability to send email with attachments, but sometimes the emails take a really long time to get delivered, and still sometimes they don't get delivered at all.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If I delete the email account from my phone, and then re-add it, will I lose all the emails I have now? FWIW, it's a gmail account. The gmail app was configured by Verizon when I bought the phone. I don't know if the app is a standard thing that was already on the phone, or if the Verizon guy installed it.

No, once you re-sync, all of your mail that was on your server, will be back on your phone. You may have to go into your settings and set sync setting to sync further back relating to date...as I believe this can be adjusted. Meaning, you can sycn mail from the last x amount of days, with options for my days.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It's a gmail account. I don't use Outlook. I check gmail using Thunderbird on my desktop PC, mail.google.com on my laptop, and the gmail app on the Note 5.

I've never been able to figure out if the gmail phone app actually downloads all my gmails to the phone (like POP3?), or if it's like IMAP and just shows what's still on the gmail server. I have only rudimentary knowledge of all this email/POP/IMAP stuff.

If the phone is actually downloading emails, how can I delete a bunch of them (as opposed to deleting them individually, which would really be ponderous)? I did go the gmail web page and delete a boatload of emails, but I'm sure there are still thousands too many. FWIW, my gmail page says "2.54 GB (16%) of 15 GB used."

I usually search by sender or email topic, and then select all, and delete. Works well for controlling promotions or updates that I no longer need. As for POP and IMAP, your Gmail account settings should tell you which is configured. https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/6323470?hl=en has information for how to setup POP, along with some links to articles that have more information about pros/cons for POP. I use IMAP and like that my email status stays synced across all devices.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000