Samsung Galaxy Note 5 died, wont charge, wont turn on at all...

mariataylorxo

May 8, 2016
Visit site
My phone died earlier and it wont charge at all. If i get it on, its at 0% and shuts back off. ive tried everything and it wont charge. pls help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure you charge it for at least 4-6 hours undisturbed, then try powering back on again. If it doesn't power on, then try a different charging cable and wall plug. If that doesn't help, then either your battery is dead or the charging port is faulty--bring it to a repair shop, or contact Samsung if it's still under warranty.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since it has to precharge first, and most phones don't precharge (Samsung doesn't), I'd leave it charging for 24 hours. Some little charge will leak into the battery and eventually (after hours) it will be charged enough to accept a real charge.

mariataykorxo, it sounds as if you try to use the last little bit of energy in the battery before charging it. Lithium batteries aren't deep-discharge batteries (which is why you don't see them in cars - you can do that to a lead-acid battery, but not a lithium battery). If you keep discharging it below 40%, you'll kill it quickly ("kill: as in "it won't accept a charge any more and has to be replaced"). They're only $10-$15, but why throw that away when there's no reason to? Charge when it gets down to 40%-50%. (I have an 11 year old battery in my "spare" phone that still works fine. I can get a new one for $4, but why kill a good one?)

Mike_786

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I would try a different cable. If that doesn't work try holding the power button and volume down button for like 5 seconds then see if it turns on. If it does just put it on charging and don't mess with it until it hit 100%

Jadedea

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
i had something similar happen to me. my phone died over night so roughly 6-8 hours of no battery. pluging it into the charger didnt bring up the battery charging icon nor made any sounds that told me the cable was fine. i took my husbands phone and plugged it into the charger to verify it was good, it was. so i just plugged my phone in and came back roughly 2 hours later. the battery icon was showing. i think when the phone has been dead for a while it takes a little time just to charge it to show the basic stuff. hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech